Hair Care- African American

My 18 mo old black baby has extremely dry hair. Any suggestions on what to use?

I have a friend that has a mixed daughter, and she uses a product called Mixed Chicks. I think she gets it online. She said it's a little on the pricey side, but she and her daughter both say it works better than anything else they have tried, and trust me, they have tried just about EVERYTHING on the market.

Please don't use Vaseline, ultra sheen, blue magic, or royal crown. These are outdated hair care products that were used before anyone knew better. Now we know better, so please, do better. If you are still uncertain ask a professional hair stylist who specializes in "ethnic" hair which products they would recommend. I initially used the Just For Me or other child products. My stylist suggested different products that were good for non-chemically treated hair. There are many things on the market, some better than others, in different price ranges. Consult with a professional.

We have started using Hair Milk and Spray by Just for Me and we use B&B hair grease on her scalp. I wash her hair once a week but I put the cream on her hair everyday when I put it in ponytails. I also make sure I take her hair down at night before she goes to bed. I know it sounds crazy but for really dry hair, keep it greased and put a satin scarf on her hair at night to hold in the moisture. I love B&B products and try Carol's daughter, its a little more expensive but she has a line for the hair maintance for little girls. Good luck to you and your princess!!

there are hair creams out there just for that type of hair.

You can make your own oils. Equal parts of walnut, sunflower, very lite olive and vitamin e. Rub a very small amount into your hands then put on wet hair. This will lock in the moisture. Putting on too much will make it greasy. You could also watch her diet.

I used Vaseline then if it doesn't seem to control it as she grows, use ultra sheen, blue magic or royal crown.

Liv. It is in red and white container and it's at Sally's. My daughter hair is really fine and my neice's hair is very coarse and thick. Works on both types. Also helps to grow. I use Just for me shampoo/conditioner weekly for her cleaning care. Hope this helps.

I co-sign w/ everything Melanie M told you. I have two girls, ages 6 and 9 and we all have natural hair. The only product I would add is a leave-in conditioner called Cantu Shea Butter. It is only $4.97 at Walmart and our hair loves it, but I seal in the moisture w/ an oil. Walmart also has this oil that is pretty cheap but good called Herbal Oil for $1.97. I seal the girls moisture in with that and we are good to go. Just don't add anything else to that leave-in b/c it does not play well with things that are not oils. In the morning after I take off their little satin bonnets, I spritz their hair w/ a mixture and seal w/ an oil. A less expensive spritz you can use is mix some conditioner like Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner w/ water and extra virgin olive oil or glycerin. This works good on my kids hair, but all of our hair is different and responds differently, so trial and error is a must.

Another thing I would suggest is to try to keep your child's hair in protective styles because that tends to keep the moisture in also and lessens breakage from unnecessary manipulation. Some examples are two strand twists, box braids or plaits, etc. I am not a huge fan of braids that are flat to the head because there are a lot of people out there that pull the hair too tightly. And stay away from products were petroleum or mineral oil is used as the first ingredient.

I co-wash their hair about 2-3 times per month and then do a real wash w/ shampoo once every 4 or 5 weeks. Some people wash w/ baking soda and rinse w/ apple cider vinegar, but you will eventually get to that one day. Play around and try different things first. I am what they call a recovering product junkie because I have tried quite a few things, but now I have found what seems to be working for us now and I will stick to it until it stops. lol

HTH.

I don't remember brand names but you can find good products to use in the beauty section of Fred Meyer or similar stores. Fred Meyer has a small section devoted to hair care for African-American people. My daughter's sister uses a cream type product on her baby's hair. I think it has the word pink in it's name. She rubs it into the hair, I think, when the hair is dry.

You can also use a leave in creme conditioner after shampooing.

1 / 3