Gross Motor Delays

My 11 month old has been recently diagnosed with a 2 month gross motor delay. We took him to early intervention for evaluation and they agreed with his delay. They recommended pt and a visit to the neurologist. I am wondering if any other moms out there have had a similar experience? My son is a happy, laid back child. He is constantly progressing in his motor skills but at a slower pace.

That sounds a little over the top to me. But, if you have the time and the PT is not too expensive, it could be a fun thing to do together.

My daughter had Early intervention because her left side wasn't as strong as her right, long story on the diagnosis. We loved the therapists, they were so good with her and with scared crazy mommy me. Even the people who come out to handle the tons of paperwork are great and are very clear about everything.
please call right way and get everything set up. it should move quickly, but the sooner the better. It would be a good idea to ask about a medical card to pay for anything in the future, but for right now most everything should be free.
My guess, is that even if he has a delay now, within 6 months of work with a therapist adn just his own natural development, He'll be fine and totally caught up.
Here's the thing though, by getting him the help he needs now, you'll have the best resources, it will be free, they will come to your house or where ever, and you'll have the peace of mind that you have done everything you can to help your little guy succeed.
More people than you know use these services and in most cases it all works out great and after a bit he'll be all caught up and you can forget about this whole phase.
If it comes down to them suggesting an MRI and you'd like to talk, please private message me and i'll tell you our experience.

I would definately get him into early intervention. It works. My daughter is now 8. She was put into EI when she was 20 months old. She was diagnosed with fine & gross motor skills delay along with a speech delay. She was also diagnosed with low muscle tone. She was able to get all of her therapy in our home until she was 3 & she was then put into a preschool until she turned 5. By the time she started kindergarten, there was no more speech delay.

I give the credit to those EI therapists when my daughter first started for her walking, climbing, & going up steps. If it was not for them teaching her how to, she would not be walking, etc. Her jumpling has taken many years to be able to come off of the ground.

A neurologist is a good idea to find out if there is anything else going on. In my daughter's case, her brain (the white matter) was abnormal. She has a disease called PVL. She was also diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy a few months ago (we had doctors who would not come out to tell us it was CP, just it could be. We had to go get a second opinion at Cleveland Clinic).

My best advice is EI works. It does take sometime. If you want to read more on my daughter, I have a website about all we have been through with her. Please send me a message for the link.

While I did not experience this personally, one of my best friends did. Only for her son it was the opposite. He developed physically fine but his speech and verbal skills were delayed. Another friend had similar problems to you little guy. Both of their sons received the appropriate therapy (speech or physical). They are both doing fine now. Please try not to worry at this time. So far all you know is that your son is a little behind and that they are going to get him help in the form of therapy to catch him up.

For all we know, he is progressing just where he should be for him. But in our society, we like to make sure everyone can do certain things by a certain age. It helps keep them caught up later in school. Start the therapy and see the neurologist but don't worry unless they give you something to worry about. My son has been to the neurologist several times in his 4 year old life for something that may or may not indicate a problem. It turns out that so far it is just something that is normal for him.

I know it is easy to say don't worry and much much harder to actually follow the advice. But worrying won't help. So until you have something to actually worry about, concentrate on enjoying your son by playing with him and encouraging him to try some of the physical things that he is working on learning.

Hope this helps in some way. Best of luck to you and your little guy.

Hi R., Every child grows and learns at their own pace, espicially when they are babies. Does your ped. Dr. think he needs to see a neurologist? If not, I would wait a bit. He may seem "delayed" because his personality is "laid back" and he just isn't in a big hurry. As an example, my youngest didn't say more than a handfull of words until she was three...we had her tested for speech a couple of times out of concern and she always tested "boarder line". She fooled us all. When she decided to talk she used complete sentences, multi-sylable words, and frankly we called her "marathon mouth" within a couple of weeks! It was as if she was saving up or just waiting til she could do it exactly right from the start! Kids can always surprise you! My advice is talk to your doctor, let your common sense (not fear) be your guide and give him a bit more time before putting him through painfull tests. Best wishes & Happy Holidays.

My son (born 5/25/07) also worked with an early intervention physical therapist. He was moving slowly - but was making progress. He crawled at a year old and now, at 18 months old, is just starting to walk. I declined physical therapy for him three months ago. He hated therapy, and with four kids and homeschooling, it was super stressful. There wasn't anything wrong, he just was so laid back that he was taking everything slower. I'm not convinced the therapy helped him - I just played with him on the floor a lot once we quit the pt and he still made progress. Go with your gut - early intervention is great, but your son will make progress on his own schedule!

Hi R.,

My son was also diagnosed with a gross motor delay when he was an infant. We went through Alliance for infants and toddlers. They came right to the house every week for an hour to work with him. It went great! He caught up in only 10months! He will be 3yrs old next month and doesn't look like he ever had any trouble at all! By the way, Alliance is state funded so it doesn't cost you anything. I hope this helps.

Make those appointments asap cause especially with neurologist can take few months. Also call and sign up for medical assistance which will help pay for the ot etc since most reg insurance covers only some if any. Son will be classified as handicap due to the delays don't worry about that and no income limits.

Just keep up with the therapy and when little older have them do speech as well.

good luck

1 / 3