Good Gifts for a 3 Year Old Boy?

i'm looking for some good, educational gift ideas for my son this year. he's 3 years old and loves cars, trucks, dinosaurs, sports and the like, but i'm hoping to expand his play world a bit and would love any ideas for gifts that might expose him to something new and that he could sorta grow into over the next year or so. what did/do your kids like at this age?
thanks!

thank you so much for all of the wonderful suggestions! i forgot to mention that he does already love love love puzzles and we did get him a couple of board games for his birthday and he loves those. but you guys gave me so many other great ideas and websites to check out. THANK YOU!!! (now if you gals wouldn't mind sending me some cash so that i can actually go out and buy all of this amazing stuff...ha!)

Books Books and more Books he is at the perfect age to learn to read, the more books he has the better he will read later

Anything that has to do with Leap Frog. They have great educational. I have a grandson and he loves it. They have a little computer, not to expensive either and educational games.

Leap Frog makes WONDERFUL educational toys that are tons of fun. There's the "fridge farm" and they just came out with one like it that has different automobiles. Honestly you can't go wrong with Leap frog.

My son will be 3 years old this November. Like you, I always want to get him more than just a toy. He loves to play with LEGOS, I got him interested building garages for his cars, now he likes building towers :). ( if you can take him to Legoland in Carlsbad it will be a great inspiration. My son spends HOURS in the Miniland USA area).
The big Train Alphabet Puzzle works great for us, we play letters, animals, and it easy for him to connect the pieces, because it is just a loooong floor puzzle.
To play "pairs" I got him the Dora's Domino ( yes, he likes Dora, besides there is no Diego Domino) and he loves it. He loves to bite cardboard, so the classic memory games do not work for me so far.
I do not know how open are you for him to play in the computer, but PBSKIDS.org, has great games for his age. You will be amazed of how fast he will learn. My son now just needs me to open the website and he is able to navigate and change characters/games by himself.
I hope these ideas work for you! Have fun!

3yr olds are old enough for PlayDough. It's fun to get the cookie cutters out and sculpt!
They are also old enough for Candyland and Chutes and ladders!!! That's how he can learn his colors.... what fun!

Legos are fantastic. They encourage mathematical/spacial reasoning, following directions, etc. They have big legos as a starter for the little guys called Duplo. Most of the boys I have worked with LOVE legos.

My son loves the little frog leappad which has cartridges and books that are interactional. He's had it since birth and only has 3 books that go with it, but within the last 6 months, he has been real busy with those and can play for a whole hour with that. He loves it!

Another smart toy from leapfrog is the magnet alphabet letters that you can put on the fridge and fit into a little box that then tells you what letter it is. Good way to learn the letters.

I found some boys dress up cotumes at toys r us and costco and they are very durable. My son has the fireman one from toys r us and loves it. It is great for his imagination and he is already asking for us to make him a firetruck so he can rescue his friends.

ALso they have a section from a company caslled imaginierum and they make some great toys like a set of fishing poles w/ magnets to go fishing. we set up our small pool.

My 3 year old son really loves these games... Cariboo, Diego 1-2-3, and Brown Bear Brown Bear - also there is a dinosaur game where you roll the dice and put the parts together based on the numbers, but I can't think of the name!

Another fun thing we have is alphabet bean bags. We toss them to each other and before you can toss them you say what the letter is and we come up with a word that starts with that letter!

1 / 3