Gingerbread Baby Shower

I am throwing a baby shower brunch for my sister inlaw the second week of December. My theme is Gingerbread baby. She's expecting a girl. My mother in law is hosting at her house, so there will already be Christmas decorations. Does anyone have any unique theme related ideas? I'm pretty crafty, so handmade ideas are greatly welcomed. Also, don't have a huge budget, so cheap or free is great too! Thanks. C.

Well, the Gingerbread Baby shower brunch was Saturday and it was a huge success! I used several of your ideas. I bought Jan Brett's book Gingerbread Baby. I used some of the artwork from her website for the invitations. I also used the book as a centerpiece with a thick pink ribbon tied around it. I found some tissue paper with gingerbreads on it and used it to wrap some washcloth roses that I made. Also made some "candies" and "cupcakes" from pink washcloths. For favors, I made gingerbread truffles and put them in cute little gingerbread bags that I found at the dollar store! And the huge hit... I made gingerbread girl shaped petit fours. Thank you to everyone for all the great advice!!

What about cookie cutters for favors? That is such a cute theme, is some one going to get her the book The Ginger Bread Baby by Jan Brett? Have fun.

A.

I saw that someone mentioned the "Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice" saying. I hosted a baby shower for a friend who was expecting a girl, and we included that phrase in the favors. I took clean baby food jars (the small, size 1 jars, and I got them from Freecycle and friends with little ones), printed the phrase on patterned scrapbook paper (there are lots of cute gingerbread papers, or get a stamp - Michaels has a gingerbread house in their $1 section - and stamp/color on white paper), and filled w/ homemade cinnamon sugar. This time of year you can find sugar at least on sale, and you don't need a ton of cinnamon. Everyone thought it was very cute and couldn't wait to get home to make cinnamon toast and snickerdoodle cookies. Since it lasted quite a while, they had thoughts of my friend and her shower for a long time. I have a picture somewhere. If you email me, I can send it to you.

Oh, and in addition to the Gingerbread Baby book, Jan Brett has also written a couple of other Gingerbread books, and I've seen most of them at Target, Toys R Us, and the bookstores.

I LOVE the gingerbread theme. What a great idea. Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Cute idea! I would look on the website thriftyfun.com and do a search because they have a huge supply of ideas. You might also look at Oriental Trading Company for party favor ideas. Sometimes I see a craft in their books that is easy to make without buying their "kit." Good luck to you.

Go to the Jan Brett website. They have some wonderful ideas and lots of downloads that you may incorporate in your theme based on her book..."Gingerbread Baby." Have fun.

A.

The only thing that keeps running through my head is the "Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice" saying. Maybe that can be on the invitations somehow. What an adorable theme for a christmas baby shower! =0) Too cute!

Gingerbread men cut out of sandpaper are really cute decorations. after the shower you can punch a hole in them and tie them onto your Christmas gifts as gift tags. have fun. L.

How about everyone making a jar of gingerbread mix to take home as a shower favor? Your guests can each bring their own mason jar.

Just last night I was reading an article on modern baby showers and how to have fun in a newer hip way. The one I thought was neat, and people may have already done this, was to buy or have everyone invited to bring a package of plain, white onsies. Get different sizes that will range from birth to approximately age one.

Buy some fabric markers. Then at the party have everyone gather around the table and decorate each onsie. Make sure there is a piece of cardboard in between the onsie so as not to bleed. Dig out your old boxes and cut them up.

The point is that for the next year the mother will have memories of the baby shower whenever she dresses her baby. God Bless~

1 / 3