Gift Ideas for a Very Stressed Out, Depressed Friend?

My good friend's birthday is coming up. She's under a lot of stress with underlying depression these days (getting treated for it), and I was wondering what I can give her to really make her day. I already got her a spa package and flowers last year.

Thank you in advance for any tips. :o)

Is she a mom? Could you take her kids for a day and give her a free day to do what ever she would like?

I don't know if you are into crafty things, or have time, but one thing that I did for my husband is a "Top 10" scrapbook. Maybe you could get some pictures of things you have done together, or she has done or taught her kids, that are top 10 things you like about her, have learned from her, have enjoyed doing with her, ways you need her, etc. If 10 seems to be a lot, you can just name it "Things I like about you." When I did this for my husband, it was for father's day, and I took pictures of my son of things that he learned from his dad. Some were funny, like how my husband always likes to buy the biggest and best tool to do a job, so I put my son on his giant lawnmower and took the picture. It was really easy because I just had the caption on one page, with the picture on the opposite page illustrating the caption. If you want, I can email you pictures of the actual book so you can get a better idea.

I have found with people with depression, sometimes they just need to know how much they are loved and needed. If you can add a bit of humor that helps too!

You are a great friend to want to put effort into making her birthday great for her!!

One on one day with her. Babysitter or husband for your child (and hers if any). Then just hang out with her and goof around doing whatever it is that makes you both happy...window shopping, see a show, whatever.

The great thing about giving a spa package is it makes a great "Tradition Gift"--every year on her birthday you can give her a package to a new spa--or the same one!

I don't know about you, but every time I go to the spa I think "I need to do this more often!" So I am sure once a year is a nice treat for her! Do it again! Nothing like a nice massage and some treatments to make you feel good! Flowers are also something you can give more than once in a two year span--everyone loves getting flowers! Take it from someone who works in the floral industry! :)

I would say take her out for a GIRLS DAY.... maybe start off with a manicure or pedicure. Then out for lunch. Then shopping or a movie for a couple hours. :)

To be perfectly honest, sometimes the best gift is to just spend time with someone. Take her out for a girls day. Go shopping and treat her to lunch, make her feel special and like your friendship is valued (not that you don't already, but sometimes a little extra helps when someone is feeling the way she does, maybe all she needs is a day away to vent or just pretend like nothing's wrong to see what her day/life can be like again).
I have found that everytime I do this for someone, they appreciate it more than a gift that I hand them.

You are very thoughtful friend. I guess it depends on the source of your friend's stress (if there is a specific source). If your friend is a tired mom, you might want to offer a day of babysitting. If she has money concerns, perhaps a gift card to a favorite store so she could treat herself. If she is lonely, then perhaps a lunch or dinner with you to spend time talking. If there is something she really likes (such as music, theater, sports) then perhaps tickets to attend something like this?

Why don't you give her a gift certificate for a message, and/or manicure/pedicure. Or have the both of you go together without he kids.

1 / 3