Gift for Mother-in-Law Who Has Everything!

I am trying to figure out what to get my Mother-in-law for Christmas. She has EVERYTHING you can think of. Some people have told me to give her a gift card... but it feels weird to give someone money who already has money.
I have heard from family that if you buy her a gift, and she doesn't like it.. she will just throw it in the trash!! What should I do?

I like to bake things, or give a bottle of her favorite Liquor(my mother in law drinks Jack Daniels by the gallon)
Christmas ornaments are also nice cause they don't come out but once a year and every time you pull one out you think of the person who gave it to you.

Does she like sweets? One year I made cherry cheesecake bars for family that I didn't know what to give to. They were a hit! Now starting at Thanksgiving I start getting requests for these little treats. They are not hard to make and I've been told they are better than any store bought gift. If you need recipes for these or any kind of cookie or cake try allrecipes.com that's where I get all my recipes and I haven't gotten a bad one yet. Good luck!

I'm going through the same thing. This is my first Christmas being married so I don't know much about my in-laws yet. My mother-in-law and father-in-law are well off and buy things they want ahead of time. So I really had to think hard on what to get them. Think about things she uses a lot. I finally decided on something from Bed bath & beyond that allows you to recharge several cell phones and other electronics all while being a storage for remote and keys etc. They seem to have everything else but they do use a lot of electronics. I also added a really nice defuser because I noticed that she uses those a lot in her bathrooms and living room. Remember back to the last time you were at her house and what were the small things that you noticed. Does she wear a lot of jewelry, is she an outdoorsy person, does she use things to make the house smell good or is she into cooking. Another thing I'm using as a gift is homemade preserves, fudge and a sweet trail mix - all of them I'm making. It's a little cheaper but it's things that I think will be appreciated and used/eaten. I think you'll do fine. Good Luck!

Do something personalized. You can get a blanket, or bag or something embroidered with her monogram on it. Also, if you go to any of the picture websites, you can make things out of your kiddos pictures such as calendars, mouse pads, and a photo book are just some examples. I made my MIL a calendar one year with the grand kids pics on it and she loved it. Some of the sites are below

www.kodakgallery.com
www.snapfish.com
www.shutterfly.com

I am personally a fan of kodak but I'm sure the others are just as good.

I was watching Oprah the other day and it was all about how gifts from the heart are always the most treasured ones. We tend to forget this during Christmas time and get caught up in a retail nightmare.
The Oprah show was about being thrifty during the holidays, so if you don't have a lot of money to spend check out her ideas http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20081118_tows_holi...

If you don't mind spending a little moola here are some ideas.

Make a photo book on snapfish.com or mypublisher.com. You can create a storybook with pictures of your kids hanging out with your MIL.

Put your kids pictures on a beautiful piece of jewelry from:

http://kathylo.com/cart.php

I got one of these as a birthday gift and it is my most treasured piece of jewelry.

Snapfish.com and Kodak.com also have other great photo gift ideas that would please ANYONE!!

Happy Holidays!

Wow, you've gotten a lot of responses! I noticed a lot of people mentioning photos and photobooks. I agree! My MIL loved the book I gave her last year. I made it on the Heritage Makers website. This year I am making a personalized DECK OF CARDS through Heritage Makers. It is so cool! You can make face cards, old maid, memory, rook, uno or whatever you want with your photos!
The website is www.CreateHeritage.com. Be sure to browse through the Template Gallery for pre-designed (and editable) projects. So easy!
Have fun!

A locket. Picture of each kid on each side... or you & her son on one side, kids on the other. If cost is a concern, a silver one shouldn't be that expensive.

Honestly, though... You need to detach from what she does with it after the fact. That's not your concern. You are giving her a gift from the heart, that you picked out for her. If you were giving her a gift that was initially given to you or something that you bought without her in mind, that's different. Miss Manners would say that she needs to "Live with the gift and learn to love it if it's engraved, monogrammed, specially made or specially ordered." And Miss Manners would also say that you should not expect her to be 'burdened by the gift' or be forced to use something that may not suit her.

I agree that framed photos or other photo gifts are always appreciated. Someone gave me a set of photo coasters (with photos already in them) that I loved.

You could also set up one of those digital keychains with photos of your kids.

Another thing that I like to do is get a really nice tin and fill it up with home-made cookies. If you can get your kids to do artwork to help decorate, that would be even better!

Everyone that replied had my thoughts too. Best wishes and Merry Christmas!

1 / 3