Flying in 2Nd Trimester

Hi ladies. I may need to travel during my second trimester. My doctor said it was okay, just not during my 3rd trimester. Is it necessary? Yes. We are planning on moving out of state and I need to look at houses, and it may not be an option to wait after the baby is born. So, does anyone have advice or experience. I am nervous that something may happen to the baby. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance from other moms who have gone through it. Thanks.

I flew to Italy for a "babymoon" with my hubby while pregnant with my first. Everything was fine. I did notice the baby took a while to adjust to the time change... she kicked at odd times like 2-4 am in the morning.
I wouldn't fly in the FIRST trimester IF you have had a threatened miscarriage or multiple miscarriages or if you are high risk. The second trimester is definitely the time to travel. I am now 16 weeks pregnant with my second and i will be flying for a short trip with my daughter in the next few weeks.

I flew while I was 6.5-7 months pregnant and I was fine. I didn't have any issues at all. Good luck! The stress of looking at houses and moving is probably worse for the baby than the flying to look at the houses. Stay relaxed, and good luck!

My husband and I went to Florida before my 3rd trimester. I brought healthy crackers and sat close to the restroom--- Everything went well!

It was my first and I was so excited, yet, a tad nervous to fly !!! So many people asked me when I was due and talked to me about their children...and that helped!

I have flown 6x in the past 3 yrs and I saw expecting moms on each flight.

How long is your flight? You might want to get an isle seat so you can get up and stretch your legs, and to use to the bathroom. I flew to Stockholm, Sweden from NJ(8hr flight) during my 2nd trimester and I (and the baby) was fine.

Hi. We went on vacation to Egypt (a long trip) when I was 5 months pregnant. Everything was fine. As long as yo're feeling fine, the second trimester is actually the best time to travel. During the first, the pregnancy is still somewhat uncertain (risk of miscarriage etc) and during the third, you're really too close to due date to get far away from home. But second trimester is fine. So nothing to worry about, you'll be just fine. Good luck.

I flew when I was pregnant with my first son from NY to GA for my baby shower. I was in my 3 trimester (flew in March, baby came in May) and had no problems at all. I will be flying again this Thanksgiving from WNY to GA and I'm due the beginning of January. My Dr. too said there should be no issues here. As long as you've had a normal pregnancy and are healthy, everything should be just fine. Just make sure you have someone to lug heavy luggage if you have to do more than drag it. Other than that...good luck house hunting!!

We moved to Switzerland when I was 6 months pregnant with my daughter and everything was fine.My doctor said it was safe to fly until 32 weeks, but I thought that would be cutting a little close. You should be fine. If it's a long flight just make sure you get up and walk around a bit. Good luck house hunting and with the new baby!!

I flew from NY to Denver, CO in my 2nd trimester. I was nervous about it as well, even though I had my MD's ok. I had read something about not being stationary for too long on a flight, so I made sure I walked around the aisles a couple times an hour. I kept putting my hands on my belly to reassure myself that everything was ok, but I felt totally fine the whole flight and afterwards. So alot of anxiety for nothing. Just bring plenty of water and reading materials to take your mind off of it, but in the end it was really nothing to worry about. Good luck house hunting.

I flew during my 2nd trimester on an 11 hr flight. You'll be fine. Definitely walk around a lot to keep your circulation going & ask your doctor if you need to wear support stockings to prevent blood clots. She made me wear those.

Good luck & enjoy!

With my first son, i traveled all through my pregnancy for work. I stopped getting on the plane around 32 weeks. Everything was good.
This last time (my second will be one month tomorrow) i traveled less due to my work requirements, but i took a vacation at 34 weeks and was away on a remote island for 8 days. My OB said there was no reason to be concerned, she said i could still have flown at that point. I was not high risk, and if you are having a normal pregnancy, the changes in pressure and altitude don't pose any threat.
Besides, if you are going to move before you give birth, you'll have to do it again anyway.
Don't stress! You'll have enough to worry about once the baby is born!

1 / 3