Five Month Old Thumps Her Legs All Night

My five month old baby girl used to be a good sleeper but lately she spends much of the night lifting her legs high and slamming them back down onto her crib mattress with enough force that we hear her anywhere in the house. I'm not sleeping and I can't imagine she is getting much sleep either. I can't figure out why she is doing all this "thumping". Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi J...
I totally remember my first son doing this.. I thought it was soo cute..
Then I realized my little son was looking to have his diaper changed -most of the time.

Hi J...

Haha, I forgot about that stage. Yes, my son did that, too, but not for too long. It's usually when they're getting ready to do something new like roll over, sit up, crawl, etc. It's just a stage, so I wouldn't worry... I know what you mean, though, it can keep you awake! Hopefully it will pass soon.

as you can see your little one isn't the sole thumper! Mine did it for a while too. It is a developmental thing I believe ans as such will pass. All is normal!

my son used to bang his head (not violently, but still banging) on things like his stuffed animal, a pillow, and even me and my husband - we determined that it was a soothing technique and a way that he showed affection...he has outgrown this. My daughter, 4 months, also lifts her legs, although not as forcefully as yours (at least from the way you describe it)...I think it is just a natural movement for babies...

Hi J., I have a 9 month old "thumper". He has been doing it for months. He never wakes up from it and I can sleep through it now. I'm sorry to say that I don't know why they do this. I wanted to respond so that you knew you arn't the only mother of a "thumper". :)

HI J., My little guy is 7 months and he 'thumps' when he wants me to rock his cosleeper to put him to sleep. Sometimes he does it when he's tired and I'm carrying him and he wants me to move. I guess, because he's bored with where we have been standing. I felt silly responding to his 'demands' at first but they have almost stopped now that he can move himself around more. I think that it is a developmental thing, too. Probably, something about adjusting mentally to their own movement. I wonder if babies in other cultures where they are carried til they're two do this thumping or if it's just our culture. That would be an interesting study! Well, I'd find it interesting :) Oh, a totally different thought, maybe try massaging her back & legs before bed; maybe she has pent up energy from her busy day and the thumping relaxes it. I hope these ideas help. Have a good day!

My little boy thumped his legs from about 4-6 months... he slept in a co-sleeper attached to our bed, so we definitely felt it. I never did figure out why he was doing it, and he grew out of the behavior eventually.

good luck!

this is normal, she is learning how legs move and is gaining muscle strength which will prepare her for crawling and later walking. don't worry aout her not getting enough sleep, she is keeping herself very busy and happy, all is well

1 / 3