First Baby room...What Do I Need?

I am pregnant and will soon need to get my baby's room together. What things do I need? What things will make my life easier?

I guess this doesn't just involve the room...I just want to know what is a must for me and the baby. There is so much stuff on the net I wanted to hear it from real mothers and not marketing ploys!

Thanks a ton.

Thank you all so much. This is SUPER helpful.

CONGRATS!!! If you have 2 floors, a changing station on both floors! Makes life easier not to have to walk upstairs every time you need to change the baby. I skipped the diaper pail...used regular bags to contain the diapers. A little light in their room to be able to feed and change them without waking them completely. Slippers with zippers vs. snaps. A crib made with layers...for example, I put a water proof sheet on the mattress first, then add a sheet then add another waterproof sheet then another sheet...makes changing the sheets in the middle of the night easier to be able to just remove sheets then going through the whole motion. Baby Tylenol and a rectal thermostat, best to have on hand for when you need it vs. going to get them when you need them. Doctors always ask what the rectal temp is when you call. Goodluck!

You've received great ideas! I'll just add my thought. With my first I didn't have nearly as many spit up cloths as I thought I would need. I felt like laundry was everyday just for those things because I would run out of clean ones all the time! With my second I bought a bulk package of them =-)

How exciting for you getting everything ready for the baby! I loved those days!

You will need much less than you think (or hear!) a nightlight, bassinet, crib, sheets for both, bouncy chair, onesies, socks, sleep-n-plays, baby washcloths & towels, baby soap/shampoo, toiletries, nail clippers, blankets (lightweight cotton ones for summer), Possibly a swing.....

Besides the basic stuff I would recommend an swing or bouncy seat (that vibrates). I have 4 kids and I JUST discovered the Mody Wrap and I'm not sure how i survived the first 3 without it. It's wonderful and SUPER easy.
You'll also need a bassinet or something to put the baby in the first few weeks. We've always had bassinets but with #4 (you learn SO MUCH with each child) we bought a pack N Play with the raised, hanging mattress, and it will have a much longer life than a bassinet.
Don't forget, you can never have too many crib sheets!!
As far as baby furniture, check out consignment shops or craigslist. Most of them aren't used enough to be worn out.

Great question! And you are right, there are a lot of things you really don't need. These are a few things that after 2 kids I would consider a must have:

1. A Boppy Pillow. I nursed/ing both kids and this is the greatest invention.

2. Swaddle Me Blankets. Fleece or cotton depending on what time of year your little one is born. Swaddling is amazing! The regular blanket swaddling just didn't work as well for us.

3. Onesies, footed zipper sleepers. The ones with buttons were just too frustrating to me.

4. A swing ( I have the Papasan)

5. A bouncer seat. (To switch it up with the swing)

6. Arm's Reach Co Sleeper. Kept it next to my bed for 5 weeks with both kids before I put them in their cribs in their rooms. So easy for all those night feedings if breast feeding.

7. Also if breast feeding. Get one of those seat pillows that you use in bed. Don't know what they are called but they support you to sit up in bed. Didn't have that with my first and it was so hard to get a good nursing position in bed.

8. A diaper pail. Really cuts down on the smell.

9. A sound machine!!!

10. For later, an execrsaucer. Both my kids just LOVED this!

A few other things that I find helpful.

You NEVER use the crib comforter in those crib sets. Just get a bumper and a few sheets. I use flannel sheets because once my kids started to sleep on their belly they were so much softer against their face.

I have my diaper changing station in the laundry room. That way I have the water faucet right there and trust me, sometimes a wipe won't do it....:-)
Also it doesn't smell up your baby's room. Although the diaper pails really does a good job!

I use the blue shop towels to lay down on top of the changing pad cover. I put a few on top of eachother and then just discard the toop one when I am done changing baby.

Also burp cloths. Don't bother buying the expensive baby ones. Just get some wash cloths.

I am sure there is more I just can't think of anything else right now. Hope this helps! And congratulations on the new baby!!

everyone is different.. I have a 7 yr old and a 4 yr old. I did not have a fancy stroller system ( the big ones where the infant seat starps into) They are heavy and big.. instead I used my infant car seat snaped into one of those stroller bases they sell at baby r us.. I used my umbrealla stroller all the time :) easy light weight and great for travel.. I had a maclarin one... they were a 100 dollars but it went through two kids.. the handles were taller so I didnt have to hunch.. folds up with one hand.. and a a mesh fabric breathable and easy to clean(if your kid gets sick in it) I used a jogging stroller all the time if not in the mall.. had a sun shade, rain cover the wheels were great would go on any surface.. u don't need it until the baby gets older.. like 7 months or so.. I have a dreamer design but bob strollers were not out when i bought mine.. I like those better.. an exasaucer.. and if you are able to fit a little bit of a larger car seat in your car after the infant seat.. I like the the britax marathon b/c it holds up to 60lbs roughly.. and If u plan on having more kids great seat to pass on to a sibling.. i know expensive but so safe.. also if the kids gets car sick.. just take cover off and machine wash cold hang dry.. come out great.. never put car seat straps in washer use an enzxyme cleaner that is all natural like natures miracle sold at pet stores to remove urine or puke stains from car seat.. b/c fbrezze and products like that dont get the smell out. I used my pack in play alot.. and a bouncy chair alot.. (sometime I would take the boncy chair in the bathroom so I could get a shower.. my dd slept great in the bouncy chair during the day with the little vibration.. I used my front pack carrier alot with my second great if u have a fussy baby.. and just on a random note.. things I always carried in my diaper bag were diapers extra onies, diaper rash cream, extra socks if cold out for baby, burp cloths, bottles, toys (when older) and even an extra t shirt for me lol.. I had a major spit up in public once and didnt have a shirt to change into.. water for u.. a small bottle of tylenol when teething.. sun hat for baby and sunscreen.. Sorry if I rambled.. just a few of my favorite things.. also ask friends about item such as an exasaucer or front pack.. they only get used for such a short time maybe u could buy one from a friend and save money.
congrats,

I didn't read all of the responses but did read one about diapers. Just and FYI the only company that will accept returned packages of diapers after they have been opened is BJ's you're in Tampa so I know they have one there. Also, everyone has their differences of opinions on diapers. I hated pampers for both my boys number one, they leaked, they had horrible burned rash because of the chemical and they were very expensive. I am a Huggies Lover 100,000% and I'm almost certain every friend of mine has churned to Huggies. that being said to answer everything you asked for in the bedroom.

Crib, pack-n-play, diaper & wipe organizer, (bumpers for cribs are being recalled, do your research on them is something to do with SIDS). I know this is your first you want the whole bedding set - waste of money - sheets, soft blankets, receiving blankets, bibs, burp cloths, diaper pail, nite-lite, cool mist humidifier (walgreens is the BEST), nail clippers, tylenol, gas drops, gripe water, clorox/lysol wipes, (you need to catch the germs), rocking chair, dresser, swing, bouncer, play mat or gym, walker, couch or comfortable seating area, boppy pillow, musical (the best ones are the aquarium musicals, they last long and their so relaxing), baby soap, baby shampoo, towels, washcloths, lotion, breast pump, breast pads, breast ointment (obviously if you decide to breastfeed), clothes, onesies, pajamas (i like the ones that are like a long dress because they stay in place and so much easier to use when you're half asleep in the middle of the night and you need to change him/her.)

The baby will be in your room for a while I can imagine. So if you have a cradle or a pack-n-play in your room you need to keep the following: bottle warmer, diapers, wipes & wipes warmer, breast pump if you're breastfeeding and the ointment, boppy pillow, change of clothes for you and baby and ointment for his/her little bottom. Babies at a very small age are inclined to develop asthma or a breathing problem if baby powder is inhaled. i would not recommend using it until he/she is older 6 mos or older.
Bottles of water for you because you might get thirsty. If you have a large enough closet purchase a small refrigerator a very small one especially if you have a two story if it's a one story i won't worry about it. But beleive me, I wish i had the room for one I would've got one in a heartbeat.

I'm sure other moms are going to add alot more so write a list and copy what we've all suggested for you.

Congratulations!!

For the baby's room the only furniture you really need is a crib and a dresser. You'll also want to have a place/storage for the diapers and wipes and a way to dispose of the dirty diapers. You need a night light. You won't want to turn on a bright light when you get up in the middle of the night. You may want a baby monitor depending on the layout of your house.

A lot of the other things are personal choice and depend on your lifestyle.

Diaper holder/the kind on the hanger - loved mine. It was a homemade babyshower gift. What also works well is a plastic container on top of the changing table.

Car seats - I had 3 for each child. One in my car, one in hubby's, and one in my in-laws. I hated moving the carseats from car to car.

Stroller - I couldn't imagine life without it. I think mine has more milage on it than my car

Changing table - A lot of mom's just use a pad on the top of the dresser, or keep a pad nearby and change them on the floor, bed or couch. Personally, I used an old microwave cart, I just had to be extra careful since there were no sides. (used if for 2 children and never had any problems)

Bassinet - I loved mine. When the baby was little I'd spend a great deal of time in the family room, so I'd have her in the same room with me.

Swing - my first daughter loved it. She'd stay in it 24 hours if I let her. My second enjoyed it, but she didn't spend as much time in it. It does take up a lot of room.

Diaper gennie - I liked mine, but watch out when it came time to empty it. The smell was overwhelming. You'd probably be better off using a diaper pail and some plastic bags.

Some of the small things that you'll need
a waterproof matress pad
crib sheets (at least 3 sets)- bassinet sheets
receiving blankets
baby towels
onesies
sleepers
bibs
socks - their little feet get cold, socks are easier than booties
diapers - (if you're using disposable) diapers and more diapers - some people will tell you not to stock up too much because they grow quickly, I agree you probably won't need too many of the newborn size, if the package is unopened you can alway take it back to the store and exchange for the next size

You'll also want to have baby tylenol and a thermometer on hand. You never know when they'll get sick.

I never would have thought, but when my baby was born, her nails needed to be clipped, so make sure you have some nail clippers.

Congratulations and good luck!!!

I personally think it is a waste to buy and "baby furniture" except for a crib. For both of my kids, we bought a full sized set, with a bed, two dressers and a nightstand. Just set up there room and put the bed in storage, using the crib for two years. Put a curved changing pad on the long dresser and it served as a dressing table. Saved us tons of money. I loved having a rocking chair for nursing, I just had plain wicker ones. Best of luck.

I LOVE my fisher-price space saver high chair. It is one that attaches to an existing chair. It reclines for little ones and then as they get older you can take off the back support and use it as a booster seat .
Also, like others have said, you don't need all the furniture. A good comfortable rocking chair, crib and dresser are all I have in my kid's room (well, and a twin bed because the kids share a room).
For clothing, infants live in onesies and socks if it's hot, or the long sleeved footsie sleepers if it's cold. All the cutsie outfits are fun, but just aren't realistic for day to day wear. I like to have a couple nice outfits for family parties or something, but other than that, just onesies.
I would wait on a swing or bouncer chair or anything like that until after you have the baby and wait and see what he or she likes. My son loved to be rocked, and likewise LOVED his swing. My daughter was totally different. She isn't as much of a cuddler and rocker, she wants to sit and watch, she loves the bouncer seat that vibrates and doesn't like the swing too often.
Good luck and congrats on the little one!

1 / 3