Fever Every Night Since Tuesday????

My daughter who is almost three has had a fever since Tuesday when I picked her up from school. They said she woke from nap with a 101.7 temp. I got her home and she played awhile then laid on the couch I took her temp before bed and it was 100.7 gave her tylenol and she woke the next morning with 99 right out of bed. She was really whiny though so she stayed home with my husband. She had no other symptoms other than being tired and wanting to lay around. She did get up and play and acted normal he thought she was over it and brought her to gymnastics with her sister. She made it through her class but by time she was done she was tired and you could tell her fever was back. She ate pretty good but at dinner gaged and vomited she went to bed with a low grade fever and woke Thursday without a fever. She was still really tired and whiny and wanted to be held, she drank a ton of water and then vomited again. She laid around all morning sleeping she sprang up (literally) after a few hours and was fine she ate a good breakfast and played she ate a little lunch and then went to nap. She woke up with a fever and laid around the rest of the night. This morning she woke without a fever was a little whiny but wanted to go to the sitters and she was normal all day. She has been normal all evening but I noticed her eyes were getting droppy and she felt really warm so I took her temp and it was 102 the highest yet. She got really tired and went to bed pretty much willingly. The only symptoms she has now is a cough and runny nose. I checked with a nurse last night and she was not concerned she said it wasn't consistent and she should be fine. I have just not had either of them carry a fever this long so I am a little concerned.

She seems to be feeling better now... Saturday was an improvement and today was almost 100%. She has a loose cough now and little bit of a runny nose. It must have just been a little cold or something. Thanks for the advice.

Take her to doctor! Similar situation just recently it was a sinus infection and ear infection. You may need anitbotics.

Deb

While I'm not a doctor (so, please consult w/ your doctor's nurse if you have any medical questions), I believe that too often parents kind-of freak out when their child feels warm. But, do call your doctor's office if you are ever in doubt. Often there are free nurse lines at your local hospital, too. Now, I feel inclined to respectfully disagree with previous poster.

A fever is the body's way of fighting off an infection. It is really a good thing... it means the body is doing what it's supposed to do. Unless your dd is uncomfortable and/or complains, you don't need to give her anything to bring down her fever. This especially goes for low-grade fevers. Once it hits 103, I would feel a little more inclined to give her something. Start with Tylenol, then rotate Motrin and Tylenol according to their directions.

As for the vomiting... kids vomit. It's not a reason to drag your dd into the doctor. For something like this, I just make sure to keep offering lots of fluids -- dehydration can occur quickly in little ones.

All that said... since your dd has had a fever since Tuesday, I actually would take her in on Monday. My ds went through a similar thing two weeks ago. He ran a fever for five days straight. He did vomit once, but it was all mucus from his stomach. He also had coughing and his nose was congested/runny. When I took him in, they had no prognosis other than to say he had a "bug" that was probably going around. The doc ended up putting him on an antibiotic just to cover the bases. Even after the medicine, he still had the cough and congested/runny nose until the following week.

If she does take a turn for the worse... higher fever, seriously lethargic, then yes... take her in. But, I wouldn't have a freak out immediately just because she's running a fever (or vomits). Also, a good rule of thumb when your child runs a fever is to NOT expose them to other children within 24 hours of having a fever. If she were to have something, she could have spread it to the other children at gymnastics (or elsewhere); or she could pick-up something worse since her immune system is already weakened.

Good luck! I hope she feels better.

Fighting a low grade fever for a week is not atypical if it is not associated with other symptoms, so listen to the nurse. What is of a greater concern is that you and/or your husband chose to send your daughter to gymnastics and the babysitters less than 24 hours after she demonstrated no fever and because she appeared to play 'normal' all day. As a parent myself, I am ALWAYS aware of the other children my own could come into contact with out in public and not wanting a parent to go through what I have gone through my child is sick (or worse depending on their child's immunity system) I would and will never send my child to school, practice, the sitter's, etc. until she has been free of a fever for at least 24 hours. I work in a school system and even schools do not allow children to return until they have been fever free for at least 24 hours.

Deb

Is see you've gotten some very different opinions. I always just listen to my mommy instinct. If you have good insurance coverage USE IT!!! My insurance is great, my doctor easy to get into so I usually err on the side of caution & take my little ones in if they have a fever for longer than 72 hours. But be careful that they aren't always prescribing the same antibiotic since kids do build up a tolerance to them. I hope your little one feels better soon!

As soon as you found out she had a fever you should have taken here to the doctor, and ESPECIALLY when she began to vomit. TAKE THAT LITTLE GIRL TO THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!!!

I would take your daughter to the Dr. It's always better to be safe than sorry.
Jance

M.,

I also have two small daughters and fevers can be scary. My 6 year old just was sick and her Pediatrician said that he is not horribly worried when they start out with a fever (over 100). But if the fever continues for more than like a day and a half he wants to check them. With your daughters symptoms of her fever going down and up and then now it is the highest yet I would say you need to take her to the Dr. I know you talked to a nurse but if you are concerned, follow your instincts. Also our pediatrician says if they have a 102 fever but are acting fine then he is not too concerned but if they have even a low grade fever and are acting like they feel really bad then he is concerned. I hope this helps you? I will pray for your daughter.

Best Wishes, K. E.

Hey M. I hope you are hanging in there. My daughter had a similar situation aroung the holidays. It was weird cause she wasn't coughing or sneezing and she only vomitted once and it seemed like she just gaged. Well after 4 days of this I final took her to the doctor and it was strep. Afterwards it made since she vomitted b/c she was having a hard time swallowing her own spit. I hope everything works out ok.

1 / 3