104 Fever in 3 Year Old, Now Only down to 102 After Ibuprofen

My son had a high fever this morning which is now down to 102.1 a couple of hours after giving him ibuprofen. He is 3 1/2. He doesn't have any other symptoms other than every so often he starts breathing fast for a few seconds. He denied his ear or tummy hurting. He is obviously low-energy but not irritable. No runny nose, no cough. He has had high unexplained fevers before, but they usually come down quickly with medicine. Has anybody had this experience?

Thanks everybody! It is back up to 104.1, so I am going to call the doc's office. Weird that he is eating lunch though and otherwise seems okay other than the low energy. UPDATE: The doctor said as long as he is drinking fluids and is comfortable that they would wait to bring him in unless the fever persisted. After a long nap, the fever broke and today he seems fine.

Could also be Roseola. The only symptoms are a high fever for a few days and then when it breaks they develop a rash. My son had this with a fever for 3 days.

at least it came down. My oldest will often say that he feels fine when he has a fever only to find out he has strep throat you might want to call the ped and see what they say you don't want to be stuck with the weekend coming.

edited:Its normal for fevers to come back up when the tylenol or motrin start to wear off. Please keep us updated.

My pediatrician says "104, get out the door" meaning if temperatures rise to this, it's time to go see the doc. Don't mess around. Make an appt. and get seen.

I have always heard that you should call the pediatrician if your child has a fever above 101.5, because they want to see them. I would call your pediatricians nurse to be sure.

You can alternate the tylenol and motrin, and sometimes they will dose together. One of ours ran 105 with an ear infection, and we had no idea that it was that high until we got to the doctors office. They dosed her with both tylenol and motrin, stripped her down to her diaper, and used cold cloths and some rubbing alcohol to cool her. I don't know where the danger point is, but I am pretty sure that it is above 103, so, while you want to keep him comfortable, you probably do not need to worry about brain damage. Keep him hydrated, for sure.

I would want to know what is causing the fever, so I would call the doctor.

Sounds exactly like the flu we've got in our house. I got it last week, one son got it earlier this week and my other son started symptoms last night. There is no stuffy nose or anything. It's all body aches and fever. It's quick moving though if that is any consolation. A couple days at most.

Definitely call & speak to a nurse. But also put him in the tub. My daughter was sick Tuesday, so we stayed home. I think she has a little cold, but I didn't have any more Mucinex Monday night to give her. Tuesday morning I took her temp, it was fine. We went out to get new medicine, came back, and I checked her temp again. I think it was 101 or 102. I gave her Tylenol (thank goodness I also picked that up!) and checked her about an hour later. It had only gone down by 0.3 Then she asked to take a bath (play in the tub). She did that for a bit & I checked her temp afterward - it was 97.7 or so! :) She was fine, as far as the fever, for the rest of the day, without taking any more Tylenol.

You should call the "On call nurse" at the pediatricans office, they will tell you what you need to know, and if you should bring little love in for a check up.

Fever is a sign something is going on inside his body. Keep an eye on him. Alternate between ibuprofen and Tylenol. My 4 year old had a fever the other night, but also had runny nose, gave him some Benadryl and by the morning everything was gone.

1 / 3