Falling Out of Toddler Bed

I have two daughters, one of them just turned two and the other is four months. Our baby has been sleeping in our room and we decided that it was time to move her into the room with her sister. So we bought my oldest a toddler bed and had her try it out. She loved it for a couple of days, but then she started falling out of the bed in the middle of the night. Now she wont sleep in it and wants to go back to her crib. The bed has those built in partial railings, but shes kind of a wild sleeper. I have been trying to find other railings that will fit the bed, but have only found them for twin beds and bigger. I was wondering if anyone knows of railings that can be bought for toddler beds? Also, if maybe my daughter is just not ready for a bed and we should get another crib? We really want to move our baby into the room, any help would be appreciated.

I've heard of people buying those floating pool "noodles" and putting them under the fitted sheet. That could help her stay withing the boundaries of the bed.

Someone else already mentioned the Ikea clip on bed rails, but I just wanted to chime in. I looked all over the place for rails for my son's toddler bed because his bed didn't come with any rails and finally found the clip on ones from Ikea. This worked great!

I tried a foam noodle type that goes under the sheets I bought from ebay but it took up too much space and was really hard to get the sheets to fit right. Also, it is not recommended to use the rails for regular mattresses because crib mattresses are not heavy enough to support the regular rails and it can cause the mattress to flip.

Step two makes options with high sides. Like race cars. They come with butterfly stickers. Or they have a castle that has higher sides. or little tykes may have some. I love their websites. www.step2.com or www.littletykes.com

I moved my twins out of their cribs around 21 mos, when they starting climbing out. We put their twin mattresses on the floor to start. That way, they got used to having a bed, but there wasn't much room to fall if they did. Eventually, we put the mattresses into the actual bed and it worked fine. My son fell out once or twice (I placed a rug and pillows next to his bed) After that, I think his body learned instinctively that there were physical boundaries. He still moves around a lot when he sleeps but doesn't fall out of the bed.
And keep in mind that their bodies are still very pliable, so they won't break anything if they fall. It's obviously just very uncomfortable and frightening.

Hi B., I would get her a full size bed and get the rsils for that. This will give her more room to be wild. If you get her another crib you may never get her out of it even when it gets dangerouds for her. Even a twin bed could work.

Have you thought of moving up to a twin size? My son started with a full size (because it was the bottom of his bunk beds) at about 2, with one side against the wall and one side with a railing. He never fell out since the bed was so big and he could be as wild as he wanted in it. My daughter started in her big girl bed around 18 months. She has a twin size which is the bottom of her bunk beds) with railings on both sides. She has fallen off once or twice, because she will move all the way to the end of the bed, but for the most part stays in. It does not require a box spring so it is lower than a normal bed. You can always get a bunkie mattress (with a built in frame) if you want your child to be lower to the floor.

My son still loves sleeping on the floor. (we'd rather he slept on his bed but we dont fight it. It makes for much easier travelling after all!) I've never been sure if it is because he falls out of bed or because he truly prefers to sleep on the floor. He is a bed roamer - moves a LOT in his sleep. As an infant, he'd be up against one end then the next time I walked by, he'd be totally upside down and by the other end, then he'd have turned himself around and is up along the rails... you get the picture!

What we do now is we spread out a quilt on the floor and put his pillow and sheet on that and he just rolls around. Yes sometimes he ends up sleeping on the carpet, which is why I'd rather he slept on his bed but the floor is his preference roughly 5-6 days out of 7.

Anyways, I share that just so you know your kid is not the only one should she decide she'd rather sleep on the floor than the bed. You can place the mattress on the floor (and pillows/blankets along the side to cushion the "fall" if she does roll off)

They need to learn at some point, and it's much better now while their bodies are little and the bed is not so tall, how to self-correct and stop their rolling over the edge while they're sleeping. Otherwise landing on the floor when she's weighing 60 lbs is gonna hurt more if she hasn't learned to stablize herself.

Since my son wasn't a crib sleeper - he slept in the playpen. When it was time to transistion, we just put the crib mattress on the floor to get him use to that mattress and then we put a big body pillow next to the edge. I know it wasn't far to the ground from a mattress to the floor but he didn't know that and it was his small sense of security.

Maybe let her sleep on the mattress on the floor. My daughter would climb out of her toddler bed and lay on the floor next to the door so she could see under the door. She'd wake up every morning with carpet print on her face! Nothing I could do would make her stay in bed, but she seemed to sleep ok so I let it go. (And she would climb out of the crib, so there was no going back to that!)

If she really wants to be in her crib, maybe you could let her sleep in it and have the baby sleep in the Pack n Play or something? Then get her used to her "big girl bed" at naptime. At least then if she falls out she can see to get back in bed. It might only take a week or two to transition her like that. Just a thought!

1 / 3