DVD Videos for Toddler Boy

Hi. I am looking for a few good videos for my two year old son. He loves trucks, trains, cars, motorcycles, etc. Also animals, kids, and music. He doesn't care much for cartoons, except for the LeapFrog Letter Factory, he loves that one. What videos do your toddler sons love?

I highly recommend the "signing time" videos. My daughter loves them but they are good for both sexes. Each video teaches them several signs. Its really fun. They have ones for babies now but he would be ready for the regular series.

There's a trio of movies called The Incredible Adventures of Wallace and Gromit (half an hour each) that our boys loved when they were little. They're British claymation and are fairly gentle, although he'll get more out of them when he gets older. There's also a series of movies by (sp?) Hayzo Miyazaki that he's grow into...starting with My Neighbor Totoro. My boys (5 and 8) still love them.

Thomas the Train, Kid Songs Sing Alongs (there are a lot of them), Bob the Builder (it's claymation animation), there are also a lot of fire-truck, construction, truck, car, animal documentary type shows made for very small children. You can get them pretty much anywhere, my son loved them.

For movies: Finding Nemo

For DVD TV:

The biggest winner would be: British ones! :)

Specifically: Thomas the Train, Bob the Builder, Pingu, Kipper, Fireman Sam, etc. The British children's shows seem to respect a child's intelligence more, and every child I've ever seen, has responded much more warmly to that. Add in the fact that as an adult, they're pretty fun to watch (ahem, save Pingu, pingu is NOT fun for adults most of the time), and you have a hit.

Other favorites were Sagwa; Adventures of the Chinese Siamese Cat, and Between the Lions. By 3 he was also super enamored of the Magic School Bus.

Disney scared the bejeebers out of him (and to this day, he only likes one or two of the classics. The reason he gave me was that the bad people are so very very very bad, and the good people just aren't very smart...how could they ever get away from the bad smart people??? Are good people in these movies only good because they're not smart, mama?" Put that way? I can definitely see his point, and be grateful he didn't make the next cognitive leap, to people in real life.)

Another great thing that we started at about 2 1/2 was www.starfall.com

Thomas the train (tank engine chugachuga) LOL...
My son loved Thomas when he was 2. Also, the DVD movie called CARS. All little boys love that one.
The Brave Little Toaster is a classic that kids love to. I have some dvd movies and vhs' I could maybe send you if you cannot find any for your boy. Let me know. You can email me at ____@____.com. I have TONS of VHS and DVD here from when my boy was younger. I don't use them for my 17 month old daughter. She isn't into the same things he was as a young boy.

My son loves the series I Love Toy Trains. Not cartoon, just real toy trains that the narrator talks about.

My son absolutely loves the movie CARS. He also likes Thomas the Train, Clifford the big red Dog. But above all CARS is his #1 favorite. Oh and Lady and the Tramp (Baby is what he calls it because of the baby in the movie). On netflix there is a part where you can watch instantly on the computer and he loves Calliou as well. We only have OPB at our house - we don't have cable access. Netflix is awesome for an alternative source of videos and shows.

Check out the I Love Toy Trains video series. They are fabulous. Lots toy and real trains, animals, great music. They are wonderful and have been my son's favorites for quite a long time. They are also video's by the same people on all kinds of things like construction equipment - bulldozers and such. You won't be dissappointed!
~N.

1 / 3