Dry Foods and the 15 Month Old Preemie

Our son is now 15 months, but he was born 3 months premature. He's never had a problem with appetite and eats like a champ. We have been giving him solids since he was 6 months and trying to encourage self feeding for a while now. Right now, we are still feeding him the majority of the time stage 3 foods, because he seems to find drier foods more difficult to eat. We encourage self feeding with Cheerios and he understands what to do, but once he gets it into his mouth, he just lets it sit there. Or he will try to eat it, but end up gagging a bit and sometimes throw up. We are totally supportive of him learning new things at his own pace due to his prematurity, but we would like for him to start self feeding more, not just for nutrition reasons, but because he loves to learn new things. The stage 3 foods are perfect right now, because he's underweight and we are making every attempt to get him "bulked up" and he will easily eat a 6 ounce jar at three feedings per day and then a 6 ounce bottle. Anyone else have a baby that just didn't dig on dry foods when learning to self feed? Any suggestions about foods to try? We tried giving him diced peaches and other soft foods to self feed, but he just pushes them around the tray. Dry foods he seems more interested in putting in his mouth.

My son choked on a generic Cheerio type cereal. Scared me half to death. I think it is Gerber that makes a fruit/veggie puff. They dissolve in the child's mouth. They're pretty darned tasty, I must say. I bought them at WalMart or KMart. Hope this helps!

Gerber has these little puffs that are designed to kind of melt in the baby's mouth so he doesn't gag as he learns to eat it. They're the perfect size. My daughter at 12 months still loves them. A.

Have you tried some of the Gerber dry foods that desolve, such as the wagon wheels or the puffs? My daughter (a 25 weeker) did have problems with solids and loved the puffs and wheels. Plus, I felt better because I knew she wouldn't choke on them. It definately helped her learn how to deal with dry foods.

Hi mama. My twin had a premy. Don't push him too hard to self feed. He'll be "behind" until his after school years. He will have a more difficult time wih certain things like swallowing, hand-eye coordination, balance, etc. It's nobody fault, it just happens. Life is a struggle for premies but my nephew has had his own business for 8 years and ended up fine. Stick to the stage 3 foods until he really learns how to chew. Teething biscuits help because they can bite or scrape and mush then swallow. Mashed potatoes are good for them...not too dry. Soup with noodles (bite, mush), etc. Start working on hand-eye, putting square pegs in the proper holes (when old enough).When giving a bottle, slowly pull away without removing bottle from his mouth. He'll suck harder and develope those mouth muscles to be stronger. Do that throught the whole 6 ounces. Good luck mommy

Hi there,
Our little girl was born on time, but was tiny and recently has had trouble gaining weight. Her doc advised us to feed her more butter (!). So we did. Fingers of buttered toast/bread were a real hit for finger food, and we feed her mashed beans to which we add about a teaspoon of butter (I think you can get cans of low sodium refried beans). She gained more than 1.5 pounds in the last 6 weeks! She also had trouble eating O's in the beginning (always gagging and choking on them) until we came across Cascadia Farm's Purely O's. They're small, melt in your mouth and don't have any added sugar or salt. I've only found them at Whole Foods so far.
Give self feeding time, for now focus on getting your little one calories! Good luck! S.

have you thought about having your child tested for sensory integration? the sooner the better- i did not realize my son had that until after 5 years of age- many priemes have it. I would recommend the pediatric place

Have you tried goldfish crackers? My oldest did the same thing with cherrios and we never figured out why. She had no problem with the goldfish. You might need to break them in half at first or buy the "baby" kind, but it did solve our problem! Hope this helps!

Try freeze dried fruit. You can buy it in the baby aisle or go to Trader Joe's. Just make sure it is sulfite free! It is little pieces that are easy to pick-up with little fingers plus it requires very little chewing/gumming.

Have to tried pasta? Just put it on his tray and let him go to town. We give our little guy (12 months) pretty much anything to eat. He tries it and if he likes it he keeps going. We did not have any luck with stage 3 foods, probably because they have no flavor, our little guy likes flavor!

Someone mentioned the Gerber stars - those are pretty good. A great idea though is to crush the stars up and roll the bits of fruit in them. This way, it's easier for your little guy to pick them up (my son would get so frustrated with trying to pick up the peaches that he just pushed them off the plate) and they may actually make it to his mouth! Best of luck!

1 / 3