Crackers for 7 Month Old?

A doctor told my husband and I the other day to start giving our 7 month old son graham crackers, saltines, cheerios and popsicles. We thought she was nuts being our son has no teeth at all, I'm afraid he would choke....I was wondering if anyone has or is giving their 7 month old any of these foods? Thanks!

All that stuff is just fine! I started giving my son graham crackers when he was 5 months old! They disolve really easily! I never gave my son and of the gerber type snacks, but I use them at the day care that I work at and I have personally taste tested several of them! They do really dissolve fast and I have never had any of the babies that I care for choke on them! Hope this helps!
~S.

Gerber sells a great line of cracker type snacks they are called puffs and come in all different flavors and they melt in babys mouth with no chewing. I run a small in home daycare and swear by these all the babies love them my almost 5 year old steals them and eats them still here is the web site to see what they look like and a little more about them there is also a printable coupon score!!! You can buy them anywhere i have seen them at cub, walmart, target, kmart, even walgreens all in the baby food section. good luck

http://www.gerber.com/toddlersite?tmsdir=food&tmspage...

I think they choke easy on crackers beaues they gum up. Cheerios if good, if a few at a time. Popsicles they made need help with :)
I have been buy the gerber graduates finger food puffs, they disolve in the childs mouth and come in a varity of fruits and veggis, my 7 mo old loves this :)

~S.

K.,

I started giving crackers and the like to my son, who is 13 mos. now, only after he was almost 1 year old although he had his first teeth developed at about 6 mos. You can beleive he didn't miss anything. And by the way, that kind of food has ingredients which are not much desirable for little babies. The more natural food intake, the healthier kids are, I beleive. So, there is no need for babies to have them at early age. Kids will stay much more healthier if we give them fruits, veggies, cereal.
Your choice. Good luck.
Nat

Well I guess I'm going to be the downer here and say that he probably shouldn't have these things until he develops the pincer grasp (thumb and forefinger) and can pick them up and get them in his mouth himself. this grasp usually develops between 7 and 9 months.

He doesn't really need teeth to chew, babies/toddlers don't use thier teeth that way, they use thier tongue and the roof of thier mouth to mash foods. Graham crackers and cheerio's do melt/dissolve easily so they might be ok, but again you should wait until he cna pick them up himself. Raw honey is the only honey you need to worry about, Graham crackers and honey cereals (like Honey Nut Cheerio's) have cooked honey, so no worry of botulism in those, only RAW honey.

Saltines are a little harder to chew, and big pieces can break off of them and he could choke. I'd steer clear of saltines for a few more months.

And popsicles....why on earth would you give a baby a popsicle? Hmm, here baby, have a frozen sugar stick...? Yeah, again something else I would hold off on for as long as possible.

Try a mesh feeder if you are looking for teething relief or 'entertainment' in the high chair. You can put just about anything in them, my youngest always liked apple slices, peaches, pears, carrots, etc in the mesh feeder. It was a safe way for him to have fresh fruits and veggies, and the coolness of the foods made his teething gums feel better.

www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a great site for new eaters. We made all our own baby food for both kids and by 10 months they were eating table foods, around the time thier pincer grasp was really good and they could get most of the food inthier mouths themselves. Before that, I stuck to pureeing thier food or mashing it.

Remember too that breastmilk is the most important part of his diet still, so table foods or solids should never replace that.

K.,
I also fed mydaughter those things at about that time. She loved Graham cracker and cheerios and they dissolve so easily that she had no problems with choking on them. I dont think that I would give your child popsicles though. Why would you want to give them so muchsugar when they are so young? Another thing totry is those Gerber puffs that disolve in your mouth she loved those and they have a variety of flavors like strawberry banana and sweet potatoes. But no one knows better than you so if you dont feel comfortable doing it, then dont.

I have 4 children oldest is almost 15 and youngest is 9 months, all my children started eating table foods at different stages. I do offer my baby sugar free popsicles when his teeth are bothering him. I started him on graham crackers at 6 months, mashed potatoes plain at 7 months along with dry toast, and we try to offer him all the foods we eat for dinner and use a potato masher to mash it into tolerable bite size for him. I didn't start feeding him Cheerios until he was 8 months old only because small things like that he would just swallow. Those Gerber puffs are his favorite snack! He would sit there and eat the whole container if I let him. All in all, everyones opinions are always different. You need to follow your babies lead on what you think he is capable of eating.

Oh yes - definitely. When DD was that old she was eating crackers. She had 2 teeth but it wouldn't have made a difference. Babies are very adept at eating with no teeth. I have a friend who's daughter is 20 months and only has 2 teeth - she eats all regular table food.

That being said, I would start out with the Gerber Puffs (found in the baby food aisle). They practically dissolve in their mouths upon contact so eliminates a lot of the fear of choking. Not to mention it teaches them to pick something up and put it in their mouth. I was afraid of choking too so that's what we started with.

Graham crackers are great because they dissolve really quickly in your child's mouth- I always broke them into very small pieces for my son, although to be honest, his response to that was to shove giant handfuls into his mouth all at once. : )

Also zweiback bread, biter biscuits, melba toast, all of that stuff is great. Helps with teething, and teaches them to eat.

I wouldn't leave your son alone while eating these things, but I'd definitely give them to him. The kids love it, you get great pictures of your messy eater, and they really are learning something from the whole experience.

You would be amazed at what they can eat at that age. Try putting a cheerio in your mouth (without chewing it, just let it hangout in your mouth and let it melt). He will love them and they get the hang of it very quickly. Heres a short list of great first foods.
Zweibeck toast, biter biscuits, cheerios, crackers, puffs, grahsam crackers are fine without honey. Even without teeth he will the opportunity to learn how to eat them and love the taste.

1 / 3