Drop off Age for Birthday Parties

My son is having his 6th b-day party today at a location about 35-45 minutes from where we live at a busy entertainment center. I just had a parent call last minute and ask if its a drop off party. The invitation states it is for the invited child plus parent. My husband was a little irritated that someone would ask, but for a party not close by at a busy location, do you think that age 6 is too young to drop off your children for a 2 1/2 hour party?

BTW, there are 11 kids coming and we will also have our 2 y/o w/us.

Well, thankfully, all the parents stayed and some even made it a family event as the party was at Legoland. I couldn't have done it without them as the place was absolutely mobbed and I would've been so nervous about losing track of someone. It didn't help that my 2 y/o had a meltdown the last 45 minutes of the party. Things were so crazy I didn't even get to take any pictures. Maybe I'll have to find a photographer for next year who'll work for cake and a goody bag. :) Thanks for all the input!

Six is not too young for a party to be "drop-off". If I had invited that many children, I would have specifically asked a couple of the parents to stay to help, but not expected them all to.

I would be more comfortable having the parents there. You don't say how many kids or if it's boy and girls or just boys. How close the bathrooms are or how close you are to the doors to the outside. If one of the kids needs to go to the bathroom and has to pass a door to the parking lot, an adult needs to be with that child. Kids will see something cool outside and run out to look at it, get hit by a car, or decide to follow a dog or a kitten and get lost, or worst case senario be approached by a child predator and taken. You can't watch all the kids take them to the bathroom and host a birthday party at the same time. If the parent can't go because of work or something equally important ask one of the other parents to take responsibility for the child so you can host the party.

I have not had parents at my kids birthday parties, they have been "drop off" since about age 5 but parties are usually about 10 minutes from our neighborhood. 45 minutes away from home might be stretching it I dont know if I would be comfortable dropping my kid that far away. I think in your situation where they are that far away yes 6 is too young to just leave them.

I think my daughter was 6 the first time she attended a party (that was not at someone's house) without parents staying. I personally think I would want more adults than just my husband helping me if there were 11 kids around age 6 attending, along with a 2 year old so I don't think asking some parents to stay, just for safety reasons alone, is a bad idea. And it sounds like it was clearly stated on the invitation. Maybe that parent had something else going on at the same time so dropping off her child is the only way that he/she will be able to attend. If the other parents are staying though, I think you will be fine. I really think it depends on the location, comfort level of the parents, etc. so just keep doing what you feel comfortable with so you & your son can enjoy his party. Happy Birthday to your son & I hope you all have a great time!

I don't think 6 is too young. Does this child have siblings? It maybe she needs to drop off the child to get another child elsewhere. I have four. This was often the situation (They are older now. Only two don't drive. So much easier.) If you told me no, then likely my child would not attend. I can't be two places at once and my husband is away on business for two weeks per month.

We had my daughters 6th party last year and it was drop off but it was at a bounce house center. No one asked me though before hand, they asked when they got there and we said it was fine. I always find that some stay, some go.

OK here I started having people do drop offs last year so around 3-4 age. It is a smaller town and everyone is pretty close. i threw a huge birthday bash at my house by accident. I live rural and wanted about 10 kids....I invited about 20 since everyone told me about half of what you invite come and I figured it would be less this far out, well it must have been a good weekend for a party, because everyone came!!! I scrambled to make more goodie bags and thank goodness i had extra stuff here. i also had to cut the cake in small pieces to have enough. So I had that many kids plus parents and about 5 kids were parent less, so i politely asked some of the moms that I knew the best and a few family members if they could watch one kid that didn't have a parent and if kid was acting up then they could just let me know if they didn't feel right about correcting. Kinda like a buddy system. They didn't seem to mind and seemed to feel honored that I asked them to help and everyone had a great time and we had no accidents even though all 20 kids were inside & out and on trampoline, fort, and electric cars....there was no way me or my husband could have done it by ourselves for sure and it was a win win for all. So maybe you could get a you or husbands sibling to help out watching the one drop off or maybe another mom who just has one child... etc... My daughter had a blast btw and that evening when she was saying prayers etc... she told me that she sure had a lot of people that loved her! So I told my husband that it was worth every penny spent just for her to feel that!! Most 6 year olds should be old enough to behave and do for themselves, so i could see where kid doesn't want to miss but parent can't stay etc... Hopefully drop off won't be too much trouble for you guys. Best of luck.

At that age most parties are drop off, so I can understand the asking. If it's not ok with you then say so, no big deal either way.

I did have a drop off party for my daughter's 6th bday at a place an hour away, and yes it was drop off optional. It was not a big deal at all.

1 / 3