Do You Think Caylees Law Is a Good Idea?

What do you think moms? Should it be illegal to not notify authorities in a timely manner when a child goes missing?

http://www.change.org/petitions/create-caylees-law

Well, it was introduced, so enough people thought it was a good idea to at least get a bill to the floor. Lawmakers said it was one more tool in the arsenal of justice. I couldn't have said it better myself!

Sorry but I don't think creating a law as a knee jerk reaction is a good idea.
People are upset because they feel justice was not done.
That doesn't give people a right to go out and hang someone if the verdict was not one people agree with.
It makes it all too easy for anyone to become a victim of mob rule.
It amounts to trial by media and that's not how the justice system works (or should work).

My honest opinion what type of parent or guardian doesn't notify the law enforcement when their child goes missing... they have to make a law so that parents do have to do it...I think it's very sad they have to make a law like this, that there are people out there having kids that shouldn't be...

YES!!! It's a shame that something like that needs to even be implemented!! My daughter was missing for 5-10 minutes in a child's museum and I about had a break down!

I agree with Melanie D.

Making it a law is not going to change these situations. Like myself most parents are going to notify authorities in a timely fashion.

This law will not deter these monsters from anything. Only from proloning the enevitable, even longer.

Morally, yes I agree with the law...legally I don't think it will help.

And yes I understand it will make it harder for them in the courtroom, but it's not a preventative law. It's an "after the fact" law.

creating a law as a knee jerk effect is rarely a good thing. They often get misapplied and innocent people get caught up, and once it is law, it can be very difficult to over turn or fix.

i don't understand how its not child neglect and illegal not to call

I'm sorry but there's something wrong with our country when they have to pass a law to make it criminal to NOT report your child missing after an extended period of time.

This is a rare case and chances are if anything remotely close to this were to happen again, the police and prosecutors would bring the person up on other charges. (Casey Anthony wasn't charged with even half the crimes she could have, and still could be, charged with.)

ETA: In case it wasn't obvious, I think this is ridiculous and a waste of the legislatures' time.

As upsetting as the extreme high profile cases we are, it is dangerous legislating specifically for these issues. It takes a lot of money to put a law in place. You run the risk of duplication which can be used to an advantage for a lawyer on either side of a case causing at the very least distraction, time and money. I don't feel you just can legislate common sense. When you do, you get the "It isn't illegal", or "No one told me I couldln't do that" mentality. So we end up with more (Insert your favorite cuss word for idiots here) who won't think for themselves and have no moral compass.

This falls under neglect and abandonment....

making another law isn't going to stop stupid people or worse - self-absorbed people who feel their children are a hindrance or nuisance to stop them from hurting, maiming or killing them...

sorry.

1 / 3