Do You Take Your Toddlers, Preschoolers to the Dentist?

My dad (aka grandpa) laughed at the idea that I take my kids to the dentist. They are 4 and 2 years old. He says it's just a way for the dentist and/or insurance companies to make money. "Kids that age can't have dirty teeth." I do things by the book...and my baby books say take kids to the dentist starting at 2.

What do you do?

Thanks Mamas for reassuring me that I'm not an overzealous mother, who's the only one taking their kids to the dentist. I agree with nearly all the responses, that since I've been taking my children (DD #1 just had her 5th cleaning!) they do love the dentist (esp. the stickers they get there!). And they're eager to show the dentist their clean teeth. Thanks again and glad we're in on it together to develop healthy habits for these future generations!

yep. when my daughter had her first appt around 3y she had 2 cavities.
my niece at 3y had 3 cavities and needed a root canal. :(

It all depends on genes, diets and nightly routines.

Yes. Never hold down a child to brush their teeth. It's guaranteed to make them hate brushing their teeth. And it undermines the parent-child relationship. So I really don't like the idea many dentists suggest, that two adults work together to lie the child down and hold his hands while the other person brushes his teeth. Imagine if someone did this to you. How could it not be traumatizing?

I take them for my visits even before they are two so that they just get used to the idea of going to that office. I was always deathly afraid of the dentist and my teeth are horrible. I rarely had a visit that wasn't painful. I don't want that for my kids. I am fortunate enough that one of my really good friends is a dentist. When my kids are very little they sit on my lap as I get my teeth cleaned and my friend counts their teeth. When they are old enough they get to sit in the dentist chair by themselves. They have all been excited to sit in Dr. Peggy's dentist chair. For me it is totally worth it!

several people start at the sight of the first tooth... nothing wrong with trying to keep ur babies healthy! now a days the dentist is recommended... part of school physicals... when i was a kid it wasnt mandatory im 29 and two years ago was the first time i ever went to the dentist <~~ so ashamed... but this is because i never went as a kid and i was terrified...of the unknown...... needless to say my first visit was for a severely infected tooth so bad the infection could have killed me because it made it to my blood stream... tho i take care of my teeth i have a genetic jaw disorder that adds pressure to teeth in areas there shouldnt be causing them to crack... had i gone as a kid? they would have corrected it now it's too late... TAKE YOU BABIES! you dad is just stuck in his ways and thats ok because thats how things was done back when... they're your babies you're choice and you do whats best for you and your family...

kimmie

Kids really should go to the dentist as soon as they are old enough to sit and listen to what the doc is telling them to do. That way the dentist can do some X-rays to see what's going on with their mouths and make sure all is coming in right.

Ours went at 20 months and the other at 3 years of age. They go every 6 months now.

Funny you should ask our dd who just turned 3 had her 4th 6mo check up today and 2nd cleaning and she loved it. She even did a fluoride treatment. They said they will hold off on X-rays until she is 5 unless she has something going on. She has no tarter or cavities. I also use an electric tooth brush on her I think that has made a difference in her liking the cleanings. It's important to start off on the right foot when it comes to dental care, a lot of what goes on with our bodies can stem from poor dental care.

I spoke to my dentist when my daughter was about 2.5. He said that unless they have a problem (or I suspect one) and as long as she lets me brush her teeth, there is no reason to start going to the dentist before 3.5/4 years if age. I opt to take her to one of two very good pediatric dentists in the area because I wanted to insure a good experience for her early on. The one I chose is the one that the "problem cases" get referred to. I took her when she turned 4 years old...great experience...she's been back two more times and goes again this coming Monday.

We started all kids at 18 months. Dental health is so important!

Our doctor said to start taking our kids to the dentist at age 3, so that is what we did.

I began @ age 1 yr they have all seen the dentist then every 6 months afterwards,heck thats why were paying insurance.Plus it teaches good habits early in life

1 / 3