Yikes! Do We Need to Go to the Dentist Already?

My daughter is 15 months. I just read something that you are supposed to take children in right after their 1st birthday? Is that true? I just can't imagine her in a dentist chair! She's so teeny!

Thanks for the advice, Mommas! I'll start looking into a pediatric dentist, but I'll wait a bit before I take her in to get comfortable there.

My daughter is 18 months but I haven't taken her. She has her 18 month appointment tomorrow - I will ask to see what her dr recommends!

Take her to a pediatric dentist-they have all kinds of stuff they do for babies to help them be comfortable with the dentist. I couldn't even drive by the dentist's office or the pediatrician's office when the children were little without them begging to go in! Literally-in tears!

Dr Charlie says the first visit should be around their 2nd birthday. Not a real cleaning; counting teeth, brushing, talking about no gummie candy, etc

Yes!!! Why is it not as important as a wellness check at the MD? I'm passionate about this one. I started at 1 and she goes every six months. I have an awesome tooth brusher and its in her mind, "Dr. Job would be proud."

She lays down in your lap, not dentist chair. It should be a fun, child-geared experience. Only go to a ped dentist like you would a ped MD.

Its not a luxury, its a part of her health.

I don't have Medicaid but one of our employee's does. They made her start taking her daughter @ 6 months.
I started my oldest at 18 months, the second a little later, and the third went at 2. My second and third never took a bottle or binky, so I wasn't so worried about them. My oldest took a binky, and we stopped the night of her appointment. The dentist didn't even know she took a binky and could see the damage being done so asked. I got to hold them, even for the x-rays. They're too little for bitewings, but they can make sure the teeth are growing properly and they are strong enough.
The sooner you go, the more likely they are to grow into healthy dental habits. My 2 year old already had his permanent teeth showing up in his x-rays. Those baby teeth are very important so that the permanent teeth don't grow in with cavities that can be passed on from the baby teeth if not taken care of!

Yes. I was told to take my son at 1 and then every 6 months from then. We go to a pediatric dentist and he LOVES it! He sits in my lap on the chair, the doctor examines his teeth and does a flouride polish, then gives him a rubber ducky and a sticker and sends us on our way.
In my opinion, it's way better to start then so, 1) they can get used to and comfortable with the dentist, and 2) If there is a problem, you can get it fixed.

Our pediatrician said my children needed to be seen sometime between 1 to 3 years. Whenever I felt like they could handle it. My son had his first visit at 2 1/2 and my daughter went at about 15 months simply because I scheduled their appointments together. I would highly recommend finding a pediatric dentist though because they specifically serve little wiggly patients with short attention spans. The doctor we went to had a good size staff and a set up in which parents can go back with their kids and provide moral support. We were in and out and the kids had a blast watching tv's mounted to the ceiling and getting a toy from the treasure box at the end. It was a very smooth operation that my kids didn't have a moment to think about being scared! Good luck!
A.

I took my son just after he turned 2. They had me hold him in my lap while they counted his teeth and examined them and then brushed them with a regular (child) toothbrush.

DD is now 3 and booking her first dental check-up is on my list of things to do...I plan to take her to the same pediatric dentist that I saw as a kid, I know they will probably do a great job. I would have taken her sooner but she's only now becoming more cooperative and less freaked about things like doctor check-ups and hair cuts so even though they say start at 1, it was pretty hard to imagine it going well at that age. I've been diligent about brushing her teeth twice a day and they appear to be fine, so I'm not super worried about it, but I know I need to do it soon.

1 / 3