Do You Boil Water Before Making Powdered Formula?

On the can it does not say anthing about this, just to add water. I have read that tap water is safe, but then I have also read that water should be boiled.

We ended up getting a gilter that hooks up to our faucet and use that for making forumula. The water tastes better and we do not have to spend $ on bottled water.

I always just bought infant drinking water to make my formula with, it is relatively cheap, about $1 a gallon. I never boiled tap water to make bottles for either child.

It is up to you...I was anal with the first one...the second I did not do this at all (she will be 15 mos. and has NEVER been sick!)

Just go buy a gallon of water from the store, that's easier. You dont have to buy the infant water, with fluoride, until he has teeth. Just use distilled.

We used nursery water, availalble at the grocery store.

My pediatrician told me to use nursery water not to boil or use filtered (I think because of the flouride), so check with them and if cost is a factor be honest.

I'd buy close to a dozen at Target or Walmart for $1 - $1.25 a gallon when I needed/sale. I'd leave an open container on the counter and whip up a bottle when needed so it was room temperature and trained the kids to take that way without warming when they were older. Babies typically take 32 oz. or less each day if I remember correctly, so you are talking around $4/week.

I was glad I did as even if I boiled, cooled & stored tap water... I'd have to factor in my time to do this, space to store, time to cool, a sterile container(s) to cool in plus the cost of energy to boil the water and then the cost of water itself (I have town), so I don't know that I would have saved much. And the convenience made DH much more willing to whip up a bottle too.

In a pinch, I'd use bottle water or even tap water as the kids were older if we were not home though.

We never boiled water or used Nursery Water. We used water from the water dispenser on our side-by-side refrigerator.

His teeth are healthy, his illnesses were minimal, and he didn't grow a third head. We were satisfied.

I'm sure you will have many differing responses to this, so do what you feel is best. I used straight tap water with my girls. I drink our tap water myself and it tastes fine to me. Now that they are older, they drink straight tap water all the time. I've read that most of the bottled water is really just tap water in a plastic container. I've also read that the nursery water that comes with fluoride is bad for babies - that they shouldn't get fluoride. I've also read somewhere that if you are using tap water, you shouldn't use the hot side because that adds something to the water (not sure what though?) So I would generally just use cold -- sometimes I would let it sit for a while (without the formula in it) so it wasn't so cold, but sometimes I wouldn't. So all in all, I think it would depend on where you live, where your tap water comes from, and whether you drink it yourself. Obviously if it smells funny or is discolored, I wouldn't think about it. You can also look up the water tests for your area to see what is in the water if you are at all concerned. And also ask the pediatrician if they are in your town about the tap water. Mine said ours was fine. I honestly don't know anyone who boiled their tap water.. most of my friends used straight tap water also, a few did use bottled water but I didn't see the point of wasting all that plastic. You can also look into using the brita pitcher (expensive filters) or there are some attachments that you can put on your faucet to make your water more pure if you are concerned -- unsure about the cost of those either. Some of those more expensive filters (I don't think Brita will) will eliminate the fluoride from your tap water too. Boiling the water doesn't eliminate the fluoride if you were concerned about that. Tap water is more regulated than bottled water, but does have some fluoride and chlorine in it (so does most bottled water.. and the ones that add extra are the worst). The best water is the reverse osmosis water that gets rid of the fluoride but like I said, I just used the tap and we're all fine. There's way too much to worry about out there and you can't worry about everything!

I'm not sure about nursery water, but some bottled waters have tested poorly compared to tap water or filtered water from your home. So I would just stay away from bottled water in general. I never used boiled water and I have a 20-year-old and a 10-year-old and they both survived!

We had nasty water with child number one so we had water home delivery service, Hinkly Springs I believe. We just used that and got flouride drops from our ped to cover the lack of floride in the water. After that I never went back to tap water. I still drink bottle water.

It is totally your preferrence. I did with my first one, but I found than it was harder when I had to transition her to colder things like milk and juice. With my second two I just used room temperature water and they both transitioned very smoothly. Congrats, on your new bundle!

1 / 3