Water for Mixing Formula

Cans of formula state to use cooled, boiled water for mixing formula? Does anyone know if it is safe to use filtered water (i.e. Brita filter on faucet or filter on refrigerator)?

We have a well not city water when he was under 6mos I used botteled water and when he reached 6mos I just used straight well water actually I did this with all 3 of my kids and i'm happy to report they're all happy healthy boys:)

I started using water from the filtered refrigerator but much later in life. Before that i used bottled filtered water. Before that i used some baby water. But before that i used boiled water. I would just boil a lot of it and then put it in bottles to take with me. I would keep them in the refrigerator.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using filtered water. I never boiled mine.

I'm sure it would be fine :)

For my kids, I too used both breast milk and formula. I used just regular warm tapwater from the faucet. I used the same temp water that I gave them a bath in (use wrist to check temp just like bath water).

So, I'm sure that using filtered water will be fine :)

Distilled water is safe. You can buy it at the grocery store by the gallon. They also sell "nursery water," which is just distilled water with fluoride added. Distilled is probably fine since your baby is so young, but I would start the nursery water once he or she starts teething.

I haven't tried that and I have filter on my refigerator, but I buy the Nursery water from the store. I have boiled too when I have run out. I would think the filtered water would be okay.

Yes you are safe to use either faucet filtered water or bottled water. It is not nessassary to boil. They have those intstructions from long ago and keep them there for those that live in another country or use well water and do not know that it is bateria free. They (DRs) want you to use tap water or botled water because it has flouride in it for those teeth that baby will be gettig soon. Baby nurse on the go.com

Though some doctors advise against it, most doctors say it is safe to use filtered water, or even tap water, though they all seem to agree that you are better off using bottled baby water if you have well water (and then only for the fluoride that is added to both city water/county water and the bottled baby water). The boiling is more necessary with well water, as there might be some extra bacteria.

1 / 3