D&C And Laproscopy

Hi there I just found out today at the DR that I have to have a D&C and a Laproscopy procedure. I have endometriosis and have had a scope before but not for that reason. I was wondering if anyone has had these and was wondering how bad I would be in pain and for how long. They found Polyps in my endometrium lining and they are going to scrape that out and also remove any endometriosis they fond. I have never had a D&C before. But when my sister did she couldn't do anything for quite a few days and that was 6 years ago. SO if anyone could give me any advice I would appreciate it! Thanks!

I had a D&C after a miscarriage and it was the best thing!! I was in more pain before the D&C. My DR made me wait a week before she would do the D&C. I was back up and going 1-2 days after. Hope everything goes good for you!!

I have had them both done 3 times for endometiosis and abnormal bleeding, then a D&C for a miscarriage. Plus I am an operating room nurse, so I see these done all the time. The D&C part isn't painful at all afterwards...just some cramping, but since you have endometriosis I am sure you are used to that. The scope part can cause some pain, but it mainly in your shoulders and neck since the gas they inflate you with "rises" afterwards. So any left in there causes some pain.It also depends on the adhesions and lesions they remove and where they are located as to that pain. Just make sure you take the pain pills they give you every 4-5 hours BEFORE the pain starts to get bad and you should be fine. It lasts about 3 or 4 days then you should be able to take Motrin or Tylenol and be ok. They just say no intercourse or tampons for a month (it may have changed) because you are more suseptable to infection.
Please feel free to email me privately if you have any more specific questions. Good luck!!

I am 25, I have 4 kids and I too am also married to a wonderful man. In February I had a hysterectomy due to endometriosis and ovarian cysts. Before my hysterectomy I also had 4 laproscopic sygeries and 2 D&C. You will be sore for a few days, but just because you may feel better after a few days, does not mean your insides do! I recommend taking it easy (hard to do with a baby, I know) But for you and your families sake its best to take it easy. The worst days are the first and second after surgery. You will probably have a hard time standing up straight. My doctor said that I would be out of work for 6-8 weeks. I was back to work 3 weeks later! It's different for everyone though. The best thing you can do is to just take it very easy and don't over strain yourself. You body will tell you when it's had enough, but if it goes that far, you probably won't be to comfy!! You will probably have pain for a few weeks. Just rest and do what the doctor says. Don't worry about the house cleaning or anything else. You will be ok, the female body is an amazing thing. Us moms can overcome just about anything! Best of luck to you and your family.

I had a D&C for a non-thriving pregnancy. I was put under, so I was unaware of what was going on, when I woke up I just bled like a period and slight cramping. I was pleasantly surprised on how well I felt. I was able to return to regualar activities the next day. I totally felt fine. This was in 2002. Good luck, you will be just fine!

Hi R.,

I had a D&C in '02 to remove a "missed miscarriage" and they knocked me out for the procedure. I did have some cramping and discomfort for a couple days, but nothing much worse than period cramps. I also had a laparoscopy a few years ago for endometriosis, which was really no big deal. They made a very small incision at the top of my hair line and another larger one (about an inch or so) just under my belly button. Other than a little itching when the incisions were healing, it was all good - I didn't have any pain from the procedure. Actually, they showed me what they saw and it was pretty cool! You'd never guess that your insides are so colorful! lol Best of luck to you - you'll be just fine!!! : )

Hi R.,

About 6 years ago I had to have a D&C done because of having a miscarriage and then needed to get Laparoscopy done because my doctor ended up piercing through my uterus. I was in more pain afterward from the Laparoscopy. I think it was mostly because of them having to making the small cut. I now have a small scare just under my belly button. You will be fine! Take some Motrin for the pain, you shouldn't need anything more then that. It may take about a week for it to feel completely better.
I ended up doing ok. I now have two beautiful daughters,5 and 3.

Hi R. - I have had several laproscopic surgeries - I had severe endeometrosis. I would have to say the mos unpleasant part of the entire proceedure will be getting the "gas" out of you that they fill you up with. The put the gas in there to distend your body so they can see what they are doing inside. I found over time that a hot water bottle, a heating pad or even taking a wrung out hand towel and placing it in the micro to warm it up a bit - then put on your tummy - this will help to move the gas through your body. Take it easy for the first day but after that you need to move to get the gas out...LOL...yes, you will be making some "fluffy" noises...but you have to get it out. Best wishes for a quick recovery! L. L.

Hi Randy,
I had a D&C and Hysteroscopy two years ago. I'm not sure if the laproscopy and hysteroscopy are essentially the same or not. I was put under for the procedure and aside from an allergic reaction to the anesthetic, which left me combative, there weren't any complications. I went home within a few hours and recovered well. I was extreme sore from being combative but not at all in the areas you'd think ...mine was purely muscle soreness. I was very nervous about the procedure because I'd never had surgery before and have ANXIETY to begin with. I didn't even experience cramping afterwards. Hopefully this eases your mind. Good Luck!!
M. M.

I had a D&C done a few years ago due to endometriosis. At the same time the doc cauterized a few spots on my ovaries and outside of my uterus. Plan on being in pain for a couple days and sore for about a week or a little more. The pain is not horrible, but very uncomfortable. You will recieve pain medications to help so it won't seem so bad. Just get plenty of rest, ask for help with your little one for a couple days so you aren't having to use your abdominal muscles. Hope this helps. GOod luck!

1 / 3