Craigslist? How to Pay?

My husband and I decide on a 7ft Air Hockey table as the big gift for our kids this Christmas. So we looked online at Craigslist and found an almost brand new one for a really great price. We are getting it, and picking it up tomorrow. I asked the seller if a cashier's check was good for payment, and she said a personal check or cash. I know we will go to her home to pick it up, but I don't necessarily want to give her my address and information on a personal check, but would like to have receipt of the purchase just because. I tihnk I watch too many of the Judge TV Shows :). But if you have purchased from Craigslist, how have you paid?

We do live close to DC and my sister has used it a LOT for some great things!! I'm hoping we have the same luck! And I have NO idea where we will hide it!! We may have to make some room in our garage and cover it up...but even then, it's pretty big!! My husband is happy he doesn't have to assemle it, but I'm not sure he won't have to take it apart to keep it hidden!! Any suggestions thre are welcome also! lol

Thank you for the quick responses!! We ended up paying cash for it. My husband and a friend picked it up today and it is in the garage (that we use for storage) under a tarp. So I think we are set! I did print out the email where we agreed on price and time to get it, alone with her address and phone number and he had her sign that. So I think we're good to go!

print out the post from craigslist & have her sign it.....and CASH is the best way to go, i sell kids toys & will only take cash, you can't trust anyone these days

usually only in cash..it is a risk that you have to take on buying used things..it is like and online garage sale..mostly cash only, you dont get a reciept, no refunds no exchanges!

I've sold things on craigslist and people have always paid cash to me.

I've always paid cash, but I've never bought anything big like that. I like the suggestion that someone made to type up a receipt and each of you sign it. Generally things you buy on craigslist are as is though.

Hopefully you have a good first experiece, craigslist can be pretty cool when you live in a larger area. We lived in a bigger city and the things I could find saved us so much money on kid's stuff. Now we're in a more rural area and its hard to come by things located close to us.

I've always only paid cash for craigslist items. You can type up a reciept on the computer and have her sign it when you pick it up. But, it is a used item, so it's not like you can really return it or anything unless it's agreed upon that you'll be able to do that with the seller.

I only accept cash when selling like that- too many people write bad checks.

unfortunatly cregslist is a buy as is type of thing unless they are giving a guarentee. Kind of like a garage sale. If you want a reciept write one and have her initial it. But I would pay cash.

You can do up a recipet if you need it for taxes or something..(I do home childcare, so something like that would be a tax deduction if the daycare used it as well)...but if you are concerned aobut returning it, etc...you are pretty much on your own. Basically a garage sale purchase..just a large scale one!

If I do local garage sales..or craiglist mail purchase type things, I do up reciepts for my records.

Have fun! Just our of curiosity..how do you hide somethig that big until Christmas??? LOL

I never use or accept anything other than cash from Craigslist sales. If you want a receipt, just write on out and ask the seller to sign it.

1 / 3