Cottage Cheese - What to Do with It? Recipes?

hello - i am 4.5 months pregnant, and trying to get protein in different ways. i am a vegetarian due to taste (i absolutely cant stand meat or poultry, for 15 years now)...i do eat cheese, beans, all of that...but cottage cheese seems like an excellent protein source, i just dont know what to do with it! i cant stand to eat it plain. does anyone have any good recipes? thanks.

thanks! what great advice!! i also realized the Organic Valley brand is so much more appealing than the Nancy's Organic that i was buying. Nancys is great, but it has a tang which was not appetizing to me. the other one is just mild. thanks all!

C.~ Sorry I didn't get back with you right away but I just remembered that I have a great pancake recipe that is from the "Eating for Life" cook book by Bill Phillips. It is called Golden Pancakes. My family loves this!!

1 cup uncooked whole-grain oats (non-instant)
6 eggs whites
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 packets sugar substitute

In blender combine ingredients. Blend until smooth. Cook on griddle. We used sugar free syrup and they are great. You can also put berries on them.

My husband and 2 1/2 year old son love to put syrup on cottage cheese and just eat it out of a bowl like that. We also cut up a bananna and put it in with the cottage cheese and syrup.
I have heard that putting it on a baked potato is really good too. Good luck with everything!! And I hope that you like the recipe!

Quick and simple and so yummy!!! Lightly salted Rice Cakes w/ cottage cheese on top. I promise it is DELICIOUS & filling and a good, healthy snack!! =)

Hi
Well this is one of my favorite things is to top it on my soup/stew instead of meat for this recipe use 2 cans of veggie stock. Take an onion & garlic and saute in a tbsp of olive oil. add a can of stewed tomatoes, one green and red bell pepper sliced, can of canelli beans or kidney beans and 2 cans of stock,Add some italian seasonings bring to boil cook for 10 mins, then add 1 cup of elbow maccaroni reduec to simmer and cook for another 15 mins. add salt and pepper to taste serve in a bowl and top w/ Cottage cheese. You can add other veggies that you like as well.
have fun w/ it

6 eggs whites
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 packets sugar substitute

My doctor gave me this recipe for cottage cheese muffins when I was pregnant with twins and had to eat 175 grams of protein every day (yikes!). Good luck!

-M.

Heidis Fabulous Muffins

Grind and add to the mix:
1 cup flax seeds, ground
1/2 cup walnuts or hazel nuts
3/4 cup protein powder (Heidi uses BioPure Whey Protein powder metagenics)
2/3 cup brown sugar more or less depending on how sweet you like it. None if you want a sugar free treat.
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
Zest of one orange

Mix the drys together, then add
2 TBSP butter
2/3 cup (mounded) cottage cheese (or ricotta Heidi always uses cottage cheese)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup currants
2/3 cup grated zucchini

Mix well.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Variations:
Use pumpkin instead of zucchini and add 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1/2 tsp nutmeg

Add 2 ounces of melted unsweetened chocolate and use chocolate chips instead of currants.

My mom used to make cottage cheese pancakes. REALLY GOOD!
1 small tub cottage cheese, 2 eggs and 1 egg white, 1/4 cup flour or so to thicken it up, and a little melted butter if you want for taste. Use butter in the pan, not Pam, and make them small since they tend to be a bit messy to turn. Excellent spead with fruit jam. They are pretty mild too for sensitive new-mommy tummies!

Are you Ready?
Try Steaming or boiling some Peas, but your butter and salt then a big blob of cottage cheese, mix and eat, My whole family loves this,

I like Cottage cheese on Triscuts (sp) Crackers, sprinkle with a little MRS. Dash.

We always put cottage cheese on top of our salads, baked in our enchiladas, topped on Baked potatoes w/sour cream & butter,

My boyfriend loves to put it in his Cereal.

As a great desert, try fruit and cottage on a bed of lettuce, like peaches, pineapple, pears, or bananas.

Here's a recipe I found.

Noodles and Cottage Cheese
It's a side dish at dinner, a main dish at lunch, and if you drop the chives and add cinnamon-sugar instead, it's a homely dessert.
INGREDIENTS:
3/4 lb. wide egg noodles
1-1/2 cups cottage cheese
1 cup regular or low-fat sour cream
Salt and pepper
Chives, optional
1. Cook the noodles in boiling salted water. Drain, put in a bowl, and add the cottage cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper and optional chives. Makes 4 servings.

Like Julie said, we usually put it on a bowl of peaches, then make sure to have enough of each to have equal bites! :) It is an excellent source of protein. I wasn't getting enough when I was pregnant and my midwife told me to eat it, so we had the peaches and cottage cheese every night.

Now that I have Erika, she just loves to eat it straight!

Hi C.

My mother used to make lasagne with cottage cheese instead of ricotta. I think she used to just substitute it into the recipe in place of ricotta. You could make spinach lasagne that way!

Jess

I love cottage cheese!! Try it with mandrin oranges, whipped cream and orange jello mix it together so that the jello disolves its yummy!!makes a big bowl so others might like it too!!!

I love salsa mixed with my cottage cheese. I make my own salsa, so it's got pazazz.

1 / 3