Constipated Two Month Old :(

I think that my two month old son is constipated (if it's not one thing it's another, isn't it?). He is EXTREMEMLY irritable which is very unlikely for him and has not made a bowel movement in about 24 hrs. His last one was very firm and almost like clay. My question is, what can I do for him? I can't give him juice because he is too young. Would water help? He is currently on Enfamil GentleEase formula...would a bottle of soy help any? He is just misserable! He has been crying off and on since two this morning and just can't seem to get comfortable. He is passing gas but nothing else. Thanks!

Well, thank you everyone for all of the responses! I ended up diluting his formula just a bit and he is fine now. The enfamil gentleease just keeps causing problems, so his new pediatrician switched him to the lactose free genle ease. We'll see. However, most of the irritablity ended up being from an ear infection (isn't having a newborn in the winter just wonderful). I felt horrible!!! He is doing fine now, and thank you again!!

My daughter was the same way, water will help, but I had to give her a little prune juice about 2 onces then add 2onces of water to make it a 4 once bottle, she still has some problems with that and she is almost 2 years old. Good luck!!

Hi K.
Let me give you a little advice. I'm a mother of 5 they are now 22,21,20,18,15. The Doctors don't know everything when it comes to kids. Get some apple jucie put 1/2 juice and1/2 water. That should loosen him up. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions just drop me a line. If you need my e-mail just let me know.
G. W.

I have not had this problem, but I have heard from other Moms that just a bit of dark Karo syrup in his bottle usually helps if that problem continues.

I try to lay my baby on his back and move his legs like a bicycle and pump them up an down. I will also press on his butt cheeks while he's on his back (right by his butt hole..sorry, I know that sounds kind of gross). Or, stick a rectal thermometer in like you're going to take his temperature. I know water helps as well, but I don't know about giving it to a 2 mo old, I'm sure it would be fine. If none of those work, call your doctor about a glycerin suppository or try switching formulas.

i would guess it's certainly constipation that's making him irritable.

This I just posted to another mom about her 2y.o. who's got constipation: "if what your son has is constipation or irregularity, i suggest probiotic supplements. you can't find any articles/studies saying there are any drawbacks to these. you can get them at Fruitful Yield (next to Kohls near Fox Valley Mall) in the refrigerator (must be kept cool to keep their potency). They have great ones that are chewable in strawberry or blueberry flavors. my son loves them. give one a day, every day. my son was always an intermittent pooper. he's regular now that I'm giving him these. Plus, I started taking them and am more regular than I have ever been in my life (only used to go every 2-3 days). Good luck!"

Also, I highly recommend homeopathic medicines. There's a combination remedy by Hylands for Gas. You can give this to a little baby. Most pediatricians don't know about homeopathic meds, but they can't hurt a baby. I've been giving my 7.5mo DD that GAS remedy for months now, whenever she's gassy or hasn't pooped (in addition to probiotics). Also, try Hylands Colic remedy for babies. it helps w/ digestive tract issues. You can usually find that one in the health food section at Dominicks or Jewel, but can certainly find it at Fruitful Yield or Whole Foods. Homeopathic remedies can't hurt, but they might help, and often you see wonderful results. I do with my children, usually w/in minutes of just one dose.

Don't give him soy formula, it is constipating.

Hi, K.. My DD went through when she was about the same age. Her doctor discouraged me from using the Karo syrup.

I talked to my local Walgreens pharmasist and he told me to give her an infant suppository.

The first one I gave her, she pushed out a steel bar in about 1/2 a second. It took about a day-in-a-half to resolve the constipation but it worked like a dream.

Go to your local pharmacy and ask you pharmacist about an infant suppository. It should really help your little one.

My pediatrician had recommended regular prune juice... about an ounce or so should do the trick. Hope your little one gets some relief soon!

Here's something to try that I use on my daughter. Bare your baby's belly, take 2 of your fingers (the first 2) and place them just below the left side of his ribcage. Push in about half and inch and drag your finger straight down (maintaining pressure) to his hip. Then do the same thing but start under the right side of his ribcage and going straight across to your orignial starting point and down to his left hip again (like a sideways "L"). Then start at his right hip and go up to his ribcage, across to the otherside and down to the left hip (like an upside down "U") We call it the "I Love You stroke and it works. What is does is move the contents of the large intestine (colon) in the proper direction. Repeat this 4 or 5 times in a row. Another thing I do is to lay my daughter down in front of my and rub her stomach by just laying my hand under her ribs (cross ways) and pulling them straight down to her hips alternating hands like paddling. This has worked with her and you don't have to worry about giving your son water or juice or anything then. Milk could be making him constipated! Try it. I hope it works for you like it does for me. Good luck!

1 / 3