Cleaning Wood Floors

I have real hardwood floors not laminate. I heard that you can clean them with ammonia and water but my question is, How much ammonia per water do I use. I've read 2 tbs per gallon of water and I've heard 1/3 cup of ammonia per gallon of water. Can anyone tell me the right amount of ammonia per water I should use. Thanks.

HI! I have real wood too and I use ammonia-free windex diluted in water or just a drop of liquid soap in a bucket of water. Works great! I don't know about the ammonia use but would guess a small amount of ammonia in the water as itis strong

I believe you must be thinking vinegar. Ammonia is so toxic for the family. Very harmful funes. I usee Vinegar until I heard of Oprah's favorite cleaner called H2 By Shaklee. I love it so much I bought some samples to share with friends, I'd be happy to pop one in the mail if you'd like. BTW, I would use 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar to a bucket of water.

I would advise not using ammonia/water. I have had real hard
wood floors for 15 years and have never used this, I was told
by the original person who installed them not to use this
formula as well as recently by a cleaning lady I used and her
husband installs hard wood floors. I have found just warm water
works very well, dry it as soon as you wash it. The shine comes
right back !!

I agree with the last post that I've heard, if you have nice wood floors that you want to remain nice, only use vinegar and water. My housecleaners also use the 1/2 cup to one gallon of water. And white vinegar is what we've always had used. If your floors aren't in great shape, not a great finish or what have you, then it's ok to use Murphy's Oil.

Water and vinegar ! Especially if you have little kids, it's much safer for them then chemicals.

I've always used Murphy's Oil on wood. The bottle tells you what strength to use for floors. A quick google search led me here: http://www.mrscleannw.com/tips/hardwood-floor.html , which had some good tips. Several sites talk about how ammonia will soften and whiten the floor, many agree with vinegar.

Agreed! I use vinegar and water, We purchased a 1886 farmhouse and still have original wood floors in part of our house. I use vinegar and water and then touch up dull spots on occasion with lemon oil.

If your wood floors are the type you have to wax...no polyeurathane...I'd use apple cider vinegar and water. About 8 oz. per gallon of warm water...also after you wash dry it with a soft towel...then aplly your wax. If it is treated with a polyeuathane or other hard finish I'd just use Murphy's oil soap per their directions. Both these are way better for your floor, and you.

1 / 3