My Beautiful Cherry Wood Floors Are Ruined! PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello everyone. Can anyone recommend a product to use on my wood floors? My husband used Orange Glo to clean them a couple of weeks ago and now there is a haze on the floors. NO MORE SHINE!!! I went and cleaned them with another product he gave me (Murphy's Oil) and that didn't help either.....it also left a haze...NO MORE SHINE!!! What can I do to bring my floors back to their original state, without braking the bank (brand new home, build last year!!)? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, will someone come through for me on this one???

My daughter said her Boss used a cleaner from Bed Bath & Beyond that worked great on his floors. It costs about 7.00 but they can't remember the name. ):

I too have beutiful wood floors, and all I use to clean them is vinegar water. About 1 cup of white vinegar to 1 gal. of very hot water. This might cut through the haze you have now.

Try Hillyard's (hillyard.com)- I used to clean houses and they had a great floor wax that was extremely easy to apply and fast drying...we would use it on wood floors after we stripped them. Good luck.

YES on the vinegar - 1 quart water, 1/4 cup vinegar. It can't hurt if the water's pretty hot either. We have all wood in our house and that's all I use (and our white socks stay white!) It's so good at getting rid of those spots that you only see if the light is shining on them! It cuts through any dirt and literally leaves the floors squeaky clean. I've become a big fan of vinegar since having my son. It's non-toxic, works all over the house and it's cheap! Here's a website for all things vinegar:

http://www.versatilevinegar.org/index.html

P.S. Please don't forget to rinse it, especially off the wood. I just use a microfiber mop and spray water on the floor. The mop head goes right in the washing machine.

Vinegar and water would probably be your best bet - 1 quart water to 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar. I owned my own cleaning business for over five years - there are some really good commercial cleaning products out there, but vinegar and water is still my favorite. (If you really want a commercial product I would highly reccommend that you go to the Mop Bucket in North Kansas City. They are right across the street from the community center and their staff is very informative. They also have a really good organic cleaner if you are interested in that.)

You can try using vinegar and water (the only thing I ever allow on my woods). You have to do a section at a time on your hands and knees and then buff dry so that nothing sits. If that doesn't do it, you may need to rent a buffer to get the waxy stuff off.

You might try this, it may not work, but it shouldn't hurt anything either. You could try a little Pledge on a swiffer dry sweeper. We did this when our housekeeper used something on our floors that made them look dull. They were a little slippery to walk on with socks for a day or two, but they really did look better afterward.

RJ,

We have all hardwood too, and I did the Orange Glo thing around Thanksgiving, and the haze is just now wearing off (I mop about every other week with the Pledge floor cleaner, I love the smell). So it doesn't do permanent damage. There are already a lot of great suggestions...since they are newer floors, I'd stay away from the rejuvinate, and stick to using something that is a cleaner. Your floors should have a pretty substantial finish to them, the Rejuvinate is more for older floors with little or no finish. If the vinegar and water doesn't work, try ammonia and water. The ammonia should cut the wax.

The Pledge idea brings back memories...I did that in college, made the floors look great, but my roomie fell on her behind when she got home because they were super-slick (she would always kick off her shoes the minute she stepped in the door). The kids enjoy it when they are in their sock feet though.

I was going to say vinegar and water too...

Does it by chance say on the bottle of Orange Glo what to do. It sounds like the citris in the orange glo may have done something to the wax coat. You may have to find some product to remove the wax coat and then reapply it. I know there are inexpensive products out there, but don't have wood floors so I don't know the names of them. we had a similar thing happen at one of my previous jobs and it had to do with the wax coat. Hope this helps.

Go to the flooring store and ask them for a polyutherine cleaner.

1 / 3