Cheap Costume Ideas 1 & 2 Yr Olds

Any ideas on cheap costumes? Theyre 1 and 2 so they could care less what it is. But I'm talkin cheap. I'm a stay at home single mom so I have to get very creative. Thanks you all for any help!!

When my daughter was young she wanted to be a pink Kitty Cat and at that time no costume was to be found. So I dressed her in a pink sweat suit and got the headband with cat ears, the belt tail and drew on her face with an eye liner pencil the nose and whiskers. She was thrilled and it was very inexpensive. Plus she got to play with the headband and tail after Halloween was over.

I made my son a Mickey Mouse costume this year out of things we already had around the house. I used black pants, a black turtle neck, a pair of red shorts. I had some white felt that with adhesive on the back and cut out buttons to stick to the red shorts (you could even cut them out of an old cloth diaper or burp cloth and glue on). I made a tail out of old network cable wrapped in black electrical tape, and pinned it with a diaper pin to the waistband of the shorts. We had an old pair of his shoes that I painted yellow, and found some white stretch gloves for $1 at a fabric store. Add the ears (which you can make- google out instructions) and black eyeliner to the nose. And we had Mickey Mouse! The total cost was $5 for the yellow spray paint and the gloves. It was a HUGE hit at his school today- all the kids wanted to hug him-lol!
You could also do Minnie Mouse by using an old dress and cutting/sticking polka dots to it. Add black tights, and you are all set!

You could buy them both red tshirts for $3 from Walmart - then write Thing 1 and Thing 2 on them with a black magic marker.
If it's cold where you are you can put a long sleeve shirt under. I usually go to the thrift store for my kids costumes. Theres always a bunch of pumpkin costumes available. This year I found a witch and a grim reaper -$3 each. If you can't find a costume at a thrift store, you can at least find things to put one together. Like an football helmet, or construction hat, An old nightgown to turn into a ghost. Just a little imagination and a few bucks goes a long way.

What about cowboy or cowgirl. You can probably utilize some of your own clothes or at least buy some shirts that they will likely wear again. Get some plaid, blue jeans and I'm sure you can find some cheap hats at Party City or something and call it good! You can even tie some bandanas around their necks and if you have boots that works, otherwise just some brown shoes?

If you have old sheets or towels you could make some capes and they could be super heroes? You might be able to find some clothes they already have and make some community people like police or firefighers...use blue clothes or rain clothes and attach some homemade badges and stuff?

I like to make use of sweatpants and sweatshirts because they're warm and comfy and the kids can use them later. When my twins were almost two, I got red sweatpants and sweatshirts and wrote "thing 1" and "thing 2" on white fabric circles with sharpie marker (probably would have been easier to use felt circles). THey were able to wear the sweatpants and sweatshirts plenty of other times until they outgrew them and we passed them down to another set of twins.

I've also got a lot of mileage out of a black hooded sweatshirt. In kindergarten, one kid wanted to be a cat so I stitched black felt ears on to the hood of the sweatshirt and she wore black leggings with it. Then another year her sister wanted to be a bee so I took off the ears and used masking tape loops to attach yellow felt stripes- she wore black leggings and a pair of costume wings and pipe-cleaner antennae on a headband. This year she wanted to be a cat so the stripes came off and the ears went back on

Bunny rabbit could be an easy one too- matching hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants, make felt ears and attach to hood, attach a ball of tuille or a bath pouf to the back of the sweatshirt for the tail

My son had a pair of old bibs and an old sun hat someone gave me so I bought some fleece at a fabric store for like 3 bucks and sewed it in the lining of the bottom of the pants and hat and cut it to look like straw and now he's going to be the cutest little scarecrow...lol!

overalls (you already have them), button up shirt or t-shirt (you already have), bandana ($1 at the store, or you already have one) = farmer.

white t-shirt with sleeves rolled up, jeans, slicked back hair = the fonz

pajamas or nightgown = one of the kids from Peter Pan or a baby

I dressed my daughter as "Santa's Helper" for her first Halloween. I bought a red Santa hat at the dollar store for $2 and dressed her in red sweats and a red long-sleeved shirt. Her winter coat looked perfect with this costume and kept her warm that evening. The next year, as someone else suggested here, I dressed her all in white and bought a "halo" for a dollar at Burlington Coat Factory. My sister has dressed my nephew as a farmer with a flannel shirt and overalls and as a sherrif with the same flannel shirt, jeans, boots, and a toygun and badge. Have fun and good luck!

if you have a once upon a child in your area they are relly cheap there and they are nice gently used costumes. our local shop has them for less than $5.

1 / 3