Breastfeeding Moms W/allergies

As allergy season is taking a strong hold now I am suffering terribly. Last year when I was pregnant, I stopped taking all medicines but didn't seem to struggle with allergies so much. This year, I am still not taking anything (mostly because I don't know what is safe) because I am breastfeeding. I don't want my little guy to ingest anything he doesn't need to be exposed to. My family dr. wasn't too much help as he just recommended a nasal mist which has done nothing. Are there any other breastfeeding moms out there with allergies? What do you do to combat them? Benedryl? Claritin? Zyrtec?

Try different nasal mists and stay on them long enough to let them work. Like you, I didn't want to ingest anything,and I have terrible allergies. The new generation of nasal mists are expensive, but very effective. You can find one.

Take a look at Kellymom.com, its a web site that deals with everything related to breastfeeding and you will probably find a lot of helpful information there.

I too suffer with seasonal allergies and have for a long time. Throughout my pregnancies and breast feeding I took Alavert. It has the same active ingredient as Claritin and when I asked my doctor about it, she said it was fine. I take it everyday and have for the past couple years. Hope this helps.
B. C

sorry to hear about the allergies. Try an OTC homeopathic for allergies, they are relatively small doses and I have never heard of them having any bad effects on the nursing child. They can be found at most stores, I know Safeway has a good selection

You can try getting some raw honey that is produced in your local area, the closer to your home the better. It has been shown that eating that can help with seasonal allergies. Because the bees have been using the same plants that bother you to make the honey, sort of like a natural vaccination. Hooray for you for doing the best thing for your little one by breast feeding!!! That is SO wonderful!!! Another thing that works great is using a neti pot, you can get them at health food stores, mine came from www.organicfooddepot.com. It literally flushes all the crud out of your sinsuses and helps a lot!! I use mine in the shower, but you can do it at the sink too. There are also homeopathic remedies for allergies, you can also find them at the place I mentioned. Good luck to you!

I too have terrible allergies and take a allergy medicine with the decongestant in it. When I stopped due to pregnancy I got multiple sinus infections and was told to go back on the allergy medicine because it was better than always needing antibiotics. I think I was on claritin-D then either that or Zytec-D and I stayed on while I breast fed. My daughter is now 7. Good luck.

Go Natural. There is a great product that has helped my husband tremendously. Email me if you'd like information!

ps. I'm a mom of four, currently breastfeeding my 6 month old

My pediatrician reccomended Claritin. My family doctor reccomended Zyrtec & Flonase. BE SURE NOT TO USE ZYRTEC D. It has a decongestant that can affect your milk and the baby. Just get the regular over-the-counter Zyrtec.

I have to say that I can't tell if one works better than the other or not. I only take them on days when I'm really suffering and then I get so busy before I know it it's the end of the day!! :)

One good thing is I didn't notice that either medicine made me drowsy, which was a big concern for me. I was able to function completely "normal".

Good luck!!! Enjoy your baby & hang in there!!

I have found that the homeopathic remedy allium cepa (derived from onions) really helped my seasonal allergies. Doctors don't usually recommend homeopathics because they are not regulated by the FDA, meaning that they haven't been tested by independent labs to make sure they contain what the manufacturer says they contain. That being said, my doctor did say that they can and do work, as long as you use a reputable brand. If you go this route, mention to your doctor or pediatrician that you are considering this and then go to a good pharmacy and ask which brands they recommend. I am from Austin, Texas originally and good pharmacies that do this sort of thing are really easy to find there; but I don't know about here.

I am currently pregnant and am taking Claritin and using Flonase nasal spray (both doctor prescribed). I also took them when I breastfed my first son and didn't see any impact on my milk supply. As others mentioned, they both work better and better if you use them on a regular basis, not just as you need them. Good luck!

Some other things to try:
Have your husband and you wash your hair every night before you go to bed.
That way you won't be sleeping in pollen.
I also use over the counter eye drops-Naphcon A. They actually not only help itchy eyes, but also itchy nose & ear canals,etc.

1 / 3