Allergy Help PLEASE!!!!

I am new to the allergy world, they came on right after I gave birth to Madelyn. My nose is runny, it just won't stop, my throat is scratchy and dry, my head hurts, my face hurts, my eyes are watery, and I can't stop coughing. I took a Claratin a couple of hours ago and the package says not to take more then one in a 24 hour period. I am nursing still so I am nervous to take anything else. WTH am I supposed to do? I can't sleep, I am miserable. HELP!

I went to the doctor and he said I have a sinus infection that was probably brought on by allergies. He gave me antibiotics and told me to come back if I was still feeling pain after my antibiotics were gone and we'd do a CT scan of my sinuses just to make sure there isn't any fluids in there. I am on my 3rd day of antibiotics and I am still having some pain. I hope it goes away by day 6. He also gave me Nesonex (sp) for my allergies and suggested I consider getting an allergy test if things don't improve.

Sinus infections can be really tricky to get rid of. You may have to keep trying different antibiotics until you find one that finally knocks it out.

I have seasonal allergies. This April I took a tsp. a day of honey made from local bees. I had maybe two days of mild allergies in the spring. But now the fall allergies have begun. Maybe I should have taken the honey in June or July also. I haven't done any research but maybe google: local honey and allergies.
Take care sweetie.

M. -

I scanned through the responses and I didn't see anyone say Alfalfa. My husband has itchy eyes and runny nose, and he takes LOTS of Alfalfa and it helps him - especially the runny nose. I have also taken alfalfa when I have a runny nose, it dries it up pretty quick.

I too am nursing and have always had bad allergies. I take an allegra and have a nasal spray. The combination works great. Claritin is pretty weak, it never did anything for me. But I would call your doctor and see what else they can give you.

Allergies aren't fun and this year has been a bad year for them. With the symptoms you have described, you may want to check and make sure you don't have a sinus infection. Also you should check to make sure that your baby isn't getting any of the meds through the milk.

This year seems to be especially hard on allergy sufferers. I would recommend talking to your OB/GYN before taking any medications. I've had allergies for years and was put on Zyrtec when I was 19. When I got pregnant, my OB/GYN told me I could not take it and not to take it while I was breastfeeding either. My daughter just turned 2 so this wasn't very long ago. Maybe it is okay to take it while breastfeeding but I would check with your doctor first as they know you. If it is okay, Zyrtec is a great medication. My husband and myself both suffer from allergies to pollen, dogs, cats, horses, mold etc. . . and it works wonders for us. Good luck finding relief. I know how you feel!

Take care sweetie.

Please know that Clariten is a build up drug and can take up to a week to work.

I would suggest Tylenol Allergy, I believe that is on the safe list when nursing. I have also taken Benedryl.

G.

OPC-3!! I have had allergies my entire life - so bad that I could not eat fresh fruits and vegetables. My sinus cavities would hurt so bad and my eyes would itch terribly. I started on OPC-3, which is a natural product of pine bark extract, grape seed extract and red wine extract. After a week, ALL my allergy symptoms were gone. I now eat what I want - I can sleep with my windows open - the night air does not bother me any longer.

The best part is, you can take this while nursing. My son started on this product himself when he was 2 years old for his eczema. It has built up our immune systems so well that we very rarely get sick. And, when we do, it lasts a much shorter time than normal.

You can get more information off my website at www.graichen.unfranchise.com. Type OPC-3 into the search - you can get label information and much, much more. Of course, check with your doctor - take the label and ask if there is anything in the product that you or your baby should not have.

ask your dr, but you may need something more than claritin. I've tried a few different meds & I'm now on zyrtec for my allergies, which is available OTC now. it should be safe, but call your OB since you're still nursing.
good luck & I feel your pain! :)

*edit*
now that I see the responses, I'd forgotten about a netti pot! I've heard they work wonders!

1 / 3