Breastfeeding and Migraines

I am addicted to caffeine!! Whenever I don't have caffeine by a certain time in the morning I get a migraine. However, I want to quit drinking caffeine and will not be able to do this without medicated help. Excedrin Migraine has always worked great, but I don't want to risk using aspirin while I'm still breastfeeding. What has everyone else used?
Updated: I guess I could have been a little more specific:) I say that I am addicted as I get migraines when I don't drink caffeine, but I only drink about 20 oz a day of Diet DP. I know that this is well within my limits and has not affected my son, but want to stop drinking since I know that it is healthier than not.

I get migraines too. I stopped using Excedrin Migraine when I discovered that any analgesic (Tylenol, Advil, etc) works with a small amt of caffeine. If I feel a migraine coming I can take two Tylenol and have a glass of Iced tea or a quarter of a can of coke. It works just as well. I was able to wean myself off of caffeine all together, but this works for me when I get a headache.

One of the reasons excedrin is working so well for you is because I believe it contains a lot of caffeine! So if you're trying to kick caffeine, you definitely want to stay away from the excedrin. I breastfeed as well and have decided to reduce my intake of caffeine instead of totally eliminating it. Just a suggestion! I hope you find what works best for you!

I have migraines all the time. I wouldn't suggest using Excedrin migraine because it also has caffeine in it. You might see if the doctor will give you a prescription for Tylenol with codeine. The other thing you could try is to slowly reduce the amount of caffeine you drink over a few weeks. I am so sorry you are having migraines. They are no fun.

I take Extra Strength Tylenol. It does not work as well for me as Excedrin, but it eventually does work. Sometimes I have to take 3. You should ask your doctor.

Dear V.
Haven't you found that your baby which is being breastfed is a bit hyperactive from your coffee/caffeine ingestion?
You could begin by drinking decaffeinated coffee and the occasional cup of coffee, until you are "weaned off" your coffee addiction (I too enjoy my coffee!).
If you are still having migraines after using this route, then your best bet is to see a doctor.
Jewel

My doctor allowed me to drink caffeine and it did not affect my baby and I breastfed all 3 of mine. I drank it while pregnant and while nursing. He told me that as long as my body was already used to it, then it was allowed in moderation - what I was used to. It's when you overdo more than usual when you're body reacts to it. Regarding my headaches - the caffeine continued to help. I did take aspirin when absolutely necessary. I would always try Tylenol - though it doesn't do me much good. I know what they say about aspirin - but my mom took it with 5 kids. And, when you have those bad headaches - you need it to just function basically. So, again, in moderation - not daily, I took aspirin. But, I did stop the prescription I was on for headaches. Excedrin Migraine has caffeine, apirin, and tylenol, I believe. In that case, you aren't overdoing on any one. Still talk to your doctor and listen to the risks. But weigh the advice. Not all "new" information is accurate and many times it is exxagerated. Do your own research as well. With my mom's experience, and my doctor's knowledge, and my pain - I was comfortable with my decision.

Excedrin is NOT aspirin - it is caffeine laced pain reliever. Tylenol is supposed to be the best pain reliever to take while pregnant and nursing. Good luck!

Slowly wean yourself - get a large can of decaf and start with using 1 scoop in the pot, next day 2 scoops (instead of your usual caffinated). Then you'll slowly get down to where it's all mostly decaf. A little won't hurt you - but stay away from Excedrin Migrane - it's mostly CAFFINE!!

If you wanted to get off caffeine, you couldn't use Excedrin Migraine because it is loaded with caffeine. That is how it gets rid of the headache. They put it in their because most headaches, especially migraines, are associated with caffeine withdrawal. I've had to get off caffeine completely too because of migraines. To do so, you will have to suffer about 3 to 4 days of the worst headache you will ever experience but in the end, it is completely worth it! No more headaches at all...ever! I mean it. Caffeine is a highly addictive drug. It is in a lot of things that most people are not aware of. Do yourself a favor and go to this web sight. I found it when I was getting off caffeine. http://www.caffeineawareness.org/
Caffeine Awareness. Good luck to you V.. I will be praying for your success.

It is the addiction that is causing the migraines. It is the withdrawal from caffiene that is causing them. You need to wean yourself SLOWLY off the caffiene. Don't try to do it "cold turkey". The headaches will make you crazy - but do it SLOWLY - 1 cup less a day - 2 cups less a day -.. and so on. Eventually, you will be okay. I AM addicted to caffiene, too - I don't go ANYWHERE without my mug of iced tea. I wish I had the strength you have to get off of it.

1 / 3