Breastfeeding - Naperville,IL

I just had a baby and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on having a glass of wine while breastfeeding.
Also, I keep reading that pumping and dumping does not work. Any suggestions if you want to have a glass or two of wine.
If it's not a good idea, then I have no problem not having any at all just wondering what other people do...

Thank you in advance.

You will likely get those responses from those who say it's okay and those who say it's not. I say this: if you didn't drink while pregnant, then don't drink while breastfeeding. I never drank alcohol while breastfeeding. Having a drink was just never that important to me but for others, I suppose it is. My vote is to stay away from the alcohol until you have weaned.

Congratulations on your new baby. : )

I did have an occasional drink while nursing my first without any issues, and I will likely do the same when baby 2 is born in 2 weeks. I spoke to both my doc and my son's pediatrician who said the same thing, a drink or two was nothing to worry about. I was comfortable with my decision, but then, I will also have an occasional drink during the last few weeks of pregnancy, so I am admittedly fairly relaxed on this subject.
I have to say, I love the people who ask "would you give the baby a glass of wine?" I wouldn't give the baby a cheeseburger either, but that's not going to stop me from having one.
Good luck with your decision, and congrats on the new baby!

Alcohol metabolizes out of your breastmilk at the same rate that it metabolizes out of your body. So, just like your blood alcohol will rise about 20 minutes to 45 minutes after having alcohol, so will the content in your breastmilk (since it's not immediately absorbed into the bloodstream, nor milk). Then, as it metabolizes out of your blood, it does the same out of your breastmilk. Your milk ducts are not these sealed-off areas that once something goes in, it doesn't come out unless you pump or nurse.

Your best bet if you really want that glass would be to nurse, drink and then make sure that your child won't be nursing again for at least 2-3 or more hours afterwards, depending on how much you drink. I also read that you could nurse up to 30 minutes AFTER having a glass of wine, but I personally wasn't willing to risk that.

I partook in having a glass of wine once in a great while during my nursing times, but I made sure that I wasn't nursing again for at least 3 hours after my one glass of wine. And I didn't bother pumping/dumping. Plus, given that I was nursing and burning calories faster, I found that the wine affected me differently while nursing. It seemed to hit me harder/faster. Under normal conditions one glass wouldn't do much of anything, but after one glass while nursing, it felt like I'd had at least 2! Once I was done nursing, it went back to normal. Weird.

I drank a glass of wine once in awhile. I did wait however until my daughter had a few hours in between feedings. For the first 6 weeks or so my daughter seemed to nurse nearly nonstop! Once she had a 'regular' schedule and knew she wouldn't eat for a couple of hours or more I'd have a small glass of wine. Likely you are going to get answers from both sides of this - I, too, questioned other mommy friends who had breastfed.

It is fine to have a glass of wine or a beer.
Also, the alcohol leaves your breastmilk at the same time it leaves your blood. In 2 hours or so, for one glass of wine. That is why pumping and dumping doesn't really make sense.

I feel as though it is perfectly fine to drink wine on occasion, but if it still worries you, then you can nurse your baby before you drink. Or, drink after your baby has gone to bed for the night.

This is what my pediatrician told me...
Pumping and dumping would not work because milk/alcohol content is the like your blood alcohol content. Even if you remove some blood there's still alcohol in it. So removing some milk won't help, as long as there is alcohol in your body there is alcohol in your milk.
He also said a glass of wine isn't strong enough to hurt your baby in any way what-so ever and not to feel guilty if you have one drink.
They even sell these little strips you can test your breast milk with to see if there's alcohol in it. They are expensive but if you only use them once in a while it might be worth it.

I would not do it when the baby was a newborn. But when my kids got older and there was alot more time between nursing...like around 6 months or so....I would just make sure that I would nurse right before, and then have a glass of wine. By the time the baby would nurse again I would not be feeling effects of it anymore and they say that once you are no longer feeling the effects then you aren't passing it on in the milk (I read that somewhere, anyway....)

Here's some info about it http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

It's like a couple of others have said. If the alcohol is in your system, it is in your breast milk. If the alcohol has left your system, you're good to go. The idea of "pump and dump" comes from the idea that if you drank, the alcohol stayed in the breast milk that is in your body until the milk left your body, and that is not the case.

Have a glass. After 9 months, it's normal to want one!

1 / 3