Breast Milk Not Coming Out

Hi, I am the mother of a 5 week old infant and we are having some difficulties with breastfeeding. I have noticed that the milk streams from both breasts are difficult to push out and they fizzle out right away if something does come out. What could be the reason for this? It's come down to the fact that I have to give my infant formula instead as nothing is coming out for him when he sucks. If I pump (I have an electric pump) I've noticed that I now how to put it on the highest level in order to get the milk streams to come out, anything less, which used to work, now does not draw anything out. Does anyone know why this is happening??? Thank you in advance.

I had a lot of trouble breast feeding at first and the doctor said i was stressing about it. also when i was pumping i would put a hot rag on my breast and massage them to stimulate the milk ducks for aa couple of minutes. it helped me a lot.

One thing I have heard is that it is easier for a baby to get the milk out then it is from pump. I would contact le leche. They have a lot of knowledge on breastfeeding. Good luck.

Herbs will do the trick. More Milk Plus by Motherlove and take Nettles. Also, red raspberry leaves and brewers yeast. All of these are very good for you and baby and will increase your milk supply within 24 hours. Go to your local herb shop or if you live near a whole foods or Harry's. And drink lots of water. Water will increase it as well.

I had the same problem with my two kids. I found out that I did not have enough oxytocin in my body to produce breast milk. Did you also have a hard time in the delivery room with contracting and dialiating? If so then the Doctor or Midwife had to give you Potocin to make you contract and dialiate. If that is the case that is why you only produced for a short time frame. The only time that I did produce was right after the baby was born when I still had a bunch of potocin in my system from delivery. Which that only lasted for about 2 weeks and by then I was only producing about 1 oz in each breast if that. I was also having the same problem with the electric pump to where it had to be on the highest setting in order to get something to come out. Just be aware that if you have a second child your body will do the same with that child. I hope that I have helped you.

It usually takes some time for milk production to get to a good amount. I had to use the hospital grade breast pumps alot, and that too at high speeds for the milk production to get regular later on.

Stick with the breast feeding. It is okay to give the occassional bottle of milk formula, but try to encourage alot of breast feeding (with 2-3 hour gaps if possible).

E.

What pump are you using. Sometimes it's the pump and not mom! Try taking all the pump parts apart washing them well (if there are valves, inspect for tears) and put it back together again.

Is baby nursing well at the breast? If so I would suspect the pump first, then look at the number of feedings/pumpings per day - a 5 week old sould be in the 8-10x per 24 hour range.

Feel free to PM me (I'm a lactation consultant) and I can try to troubleshoot more with you. There could be a lot of reasons for it.

Awhh sweetie, I have been there! First some breast (mine included) do not like pumps- if I want milk maually I have to hand express. Second of all bRm does not continue to stream after let down but does continue to come out when the baby sucks. A better way to measure wether your little one is getting enough is by how many diapers you are going through daily.
I know how difficult breastfeeding issues can be! I have been there too!
As I write this I am nursing my 3 week old- also my 5th child. I am a Doula whose knowledge and expertise go beyond just pregnancy and birth. I would love to have a "nursing date" with you and help you and your little one get things figured out.
Please e-mail me! ____@____.com ...M.

Make sure that you are drinking lots of water and try to get as much rest as you can with a five week old.

Also, your production may be less than it was when your milk first came in because your body adjusts to your baby's needs and he might not be drinking very much right now since he is so young. He probably only needs 2-3 ounces per feed at this age. Some new research is showing that exclusively breastfed babies don't gain as much weight at the beginning as formula fed or supplemented infants, but that they are fine and healthy and just gain weight at a slower rate.

You could have a clogged milk duct that is preventing the milk from flowing like it used to. You can look that up on line. I never had it, but I did have mastitis twice (infection) and clogged ducts can lead to that and it is bad.

Good Luck and breastfeed as long as you can. I stopped two months ago with my youngest, she was only 6 months old and I regret stopping so early. Even if you have to supplement it is good to still nurse as much as you can.

I have had the same thing happen. I have breastfeed all 6 of my kids and it was different with each one! First thing is you need to be well hydrated this helps alot so drink drink drink don't slow down on pumping or breastfeeding the more you extract from the breast the more you will produce and I use to either masaged my breast before I pumped or feed my baby or what really works is heat so I would either get in the shower and then as soon as I got out with the towel on I would breastfeed or pump, OR I also used a heating pad it really works and it helps with comfort too! I hope this helped, ya know it is not always easy to breastfeed but if your persistant and not hard on yourself it will pay off! GOOD LUCK!!

1 / 3