Birthday Ideas for My Son Who Was Born the Day After Christmas

Hi, I would like to receive some fun ideas to make my son's birthday special each year. He was born the day after Christmas. He will be one this year. Many people I've talked to who have a birthday around Christmas feel like they missed out on their birthday because everyone was celebrating Christmas. I would like to hear from anyone...but especially those people who have birthdays around Christmas. Thanks.

I'm not a great party planner but it sounds like a perfect day for a luau/beach party theme day! <g>

My brother's birthday is less than 10 days before christmas, my Dad's is 6 days before Christmas, My aunt's Birthday is on Christmas day,and my 9 year old nieces' birthday is 5 days after Christmas. I recall all of them saying that they miss out, because school is out and everyone is busy to attend a birthday party, on my niece's b-day only 2 kids showed up. So what my sister has done ever since is to have my nieces' birthday the first weekend of December or the first or second weekend after school started in January.

Hope that helps.

My friend's son is also born a day after Christmas and this year they decided to celebrate his birthday a month early! He's still little, so he doesn't really know the difference. They are still gonna have a small family thing and cake on the actual day of his birthday though...

My Grandma's birthday is December 26, and we always have a half party 6 months after the fact...

My daughter's birthday is in August, and we once even had a half party for her, because we had so much trouble getting everyone together in August (no school friends at the party). So, when she turned 7, she traded her party and presents in August for a half party in February with her school friends, it was AMAZING and fun!! We did half as a theme and cut everything in half, we served half hot dogs, half corn dogs, half everything... It was REALLY fun, the kids loved it, the parents were very supportive of the idea, and Rachel got to have all her school friends at her birthday party for the first time ever!

SO, I say pick a time to celebrate that is not near Christmas and go for it!! :D Your son won't know the difference this year, and when he is 1 and a half, he'll be more likely to understand that he is getting presents!

Huggles!!
~S.~

hi my son was born dec 29 and I was two weeks early. I dreaded the same thing being so close to Christmas and new years. Our friends and family were great doing to small gifts if not just one for his birthday, since close family and us being the parents took care of Christmas. He will be two this year and his first birthday actually worked out well. We did a backyadigan Christmas theme and although it was mostly family it turned out great. U will find it hard for friends to come with their own plans. Either do it on a day that works for everyone or at least most, u have to be flexible and understanding. A friend had an idea have making a family day off it. Kids party early afternoon going into dinner party with adults and kids. (which could be family) For my sons it was kind of like having a family reunion lots of food activity for kids. I am sure I babbled, hope I have helped a little. But if u ask around to the people u will invte what their schedule is like it might help.

I have 2 daughters. birthdays are January 5 and January 18. I have done it several ways. One year I had a birthday party during Christmas break. It was fun because it broke up the break, but half of the kids forgot to show up because the were distracted by Christmas. I have pushed out the party as far as I can from the holidays too. I have had combo parties for both kids and separate parties. Every time it was memorable and special because we set aside a day (or two) to celebrate birthdays.

Your son is only one. This year, the birthday party is for you, not for him. He would probably be happier just to go the playground with you than have a bunch of people all concentrating on him and wanting him to act excited. Parties are pretty stressful for kids until about age three, and at that age they should be kept small and short - just a few kids but big on the balloons and decorations. At four, they can handle more friends and more than 2 hours of festivities.

You will do a good job because you want it to be special for him. for the first couple of years, keep it short and sweet - just the neighborhood for cake and a good photo-op (so you can prove that you always made a big deal out of his birthday). When he is older, you can theme it to his interest so it is obviously NOT a Christmas party!

My daughter will be 5 this year in mid December. The first few years, we had a party on her birthday weekend and all of our close friends and family came. Now that she's getting a little older, we are doing her parties with her friends early (you can do the half birthday in the summer and make it a whole theme 1/2 an invitation, 1/2 a cake, etc.) Or like we did this year, had her party in October and called it an early Un-birthday party. Then on her actual birthday, we'll have family over for a simple dinner & cake. If you do it in December (like the beginning of the month), be sure to send invitations really early so people can mark their calendars. I used to send them out the day after Halloween, otherwise people get busy with Thanksgiving, etc. Then as it gets closer, you can follow up to get RSVPs. As your son gets older, you can brainstorm ideas with him. And always make the "real" birthday day special with your immediate family. Hope this helps.

Hope that helps.

My B'day is right before x-mas. My Mom always celebrated my b'day a week or two before the actual date. You can do the same after x-mas. This will let your son have an actual b'day party that people will be able to attend as well.

1 / 3