Baby Won't Take Bottle - Fort Worth,TX

I have an 8 wk old who I have been breastfeeding exclusively. I have started pumping and am trying to get her to take a bottle as I will be returning to work. She is not having it. I have tried using the Platex Avent and Dr. Brown's bottles. Can anyone provide any suggestions to get her to take the bottle or recommend a spefic nipple that I should try? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to all who responded. I posted this question again in Decebmber as my little darling would still not take a bottle, preferring not to eat for as many as 12 hours while I was at work. I eventually cahnged my work schedule to allow me to ffed her in the middle of the day, but I am HAPPY to report that she is now taking the bottle. we tried all of your suggestions, I have a fine collection of bottles now. She finally started drinking out of the Adiri bottle. A hint for those who may be going through this... She did not care for the Stage 1 bottle, the store was out of stage 2, so at 3 months she was taking the stage 3 Adiri bottle. Although frustrating, it is worth trying the different stage nipples, not just different nipples. Thanks again to all who responded, this was a VERY difficult period for us.

I have the same problem. I plan on trying the Adiri bottle. They have them at baby boutiques and I have heard great things about them.

My daughter is breastfed too and I tried many different bottles before I went back to work, and found that the breast flow bottles were the best, she took right to them and switched back and forth between bottle and breast, it has been 9 months now. Good luck to you!

Try the Breast Flow bottles by First Years. Some Target stores carry them otherwise you can find them at Babies R Us. My baby is 2 months old and breastfed and he takes them great.

I got a set of the Born Free bottles prior to my daughter's birth because I had heard that the wide neck/nipple base was best for breastfed babies. Plus, they are BPA-free. My husband was usually the one to give her the bottle--and he usually had to be, as she wouldn't take it well from me. We had some issues with my milk supply and ended up having to give her a bottle after every feeding to get her appetite back up and she came to a point where she practically refused the Born Free bottle. I finally decided to go try something else.

I started with Dr. Brown's because they have the anti-gas pieces, but they are the opposite of Born Free--and the nipple is similar to her pacifier (the green Soothie). She became an entirely different eater with the new bottles. I would suggest trying nipples that are different from what you've tried. As far as the Adiri bottles, I have heard that they leak a lot, so that might make things more stressful. Also, I have heard that Second Nature bottles are good, with a nipple that has tiny holes in it to simulate the breast. (I don't think are BPA-free, though.)

And, try to have someone else give her bottle till she gets the hang of it. Good Luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Orthodontic-Nipples-Sealing...

this is the kind of nipple all three of my breastfed babies prefered. They are not easy to find but worked for us. Make sure to not use slow flow nipples. Breastfed babies are not used to working that hard to get milk. These nipples work with the playtex drop-in system and are BPA free. I agree with everyone else that said to let someone else give her the bottle. Do not let her see of hear you. My middle girl would stop taking a bottle if she knew I was in the house!!!

These kids are smart!

I have three children, two of whom were weaned from the breast around 8-10 weeks old and the third who was fortunate enough to enjoy the benefits of both until she was 11 months old. I never really had bottle nipples issues . . . all used the Playtex successfully. However, I did find that they wouldn't accept the bottle from me when we first started making the transition so having someone else do it was key. My mother-in-law was a big help and of course my husband. And you can't be around either when they are doing it, because your little one will smell you or hear you! And even then, the first few times my children fought the idea and didn't each much. Ultimately they get hungry enough and reluctantly accept the bottle. I know you are worried she may "starve" but rest assured, she'll not let herself get that hungry!

my son never took a bottle. He absolutely refused. But I learned they make a bottle that is soft and looks and feels like a breast you could try that with something that has your scent. Good luck!

Hi C.~

I had never heard of the following bottles til my lactation consultant recommended them (and this is our third bsby)... She said Target/Walmart, should have but I only found at Babies R Us. The bottles are "First Year's Breast Flow." Google it or check it out on the website - whole different concept. I just had our son at the end of August and needed help (nursing difficulty and assistance or needing a "faster time for me to feed" the baby with the demands of two other kiddos).

These bottles are more like breast feeding - there is a nipple within a nipple. It really works similar to the letdown of nursing and the flow. My little guy goes back and forth without any difficulty (he was 9 wks yesterday). I love it - some critiques on the website didn't like that there were two nipples to wash, but I have no problems with that "extra" time to wash. And I'm able to give him the bottle & he takes it becasue it is similar to breastfeeding from me.

Good luck, D.

You've probably heard this before, but try different nipples, mine liked the playtex nursers (the plastic bottle with the soft plastic liners - they have a wide opening) and they liked either the orthodontic nipple. Keep trying different nipples and of course, the basics, try to let someone else give her the bottle and you be away so she doesn't smell you. Actually, my son took his bottle from me, I guess because he was used to me feeding him, but he took the bottle no problem. Just keep trying. I would try maybe once a day so she will get used it it. Preferably when she'll have to take one when you return to work, and just keep trying. I wouldn't let her get too frustrated with it though, you want her to enjoy the bottle and enjoy the breast.

1 / 3