Baby's Poo Burned Her Bottom :(

My 15month old daughter had a poo that burned her bottom so badly there are even 2 small spots where the skin is a little broken from blistering. Has anyone experienced this?There were no new or acidic foods and she's not sick, I'm not sure what could have caused it. It happened late yesterday afternoon at daycare, and when I got her home to bathe her she couldn't even sit in the water and cried from pain, it was awful. I put lots of diaper cream for the night and this morning it was better, it also seemed to be healing throughout the day. Then tonight right before bath she had another poo that irritated the burn and broke the skin on the 2 little hot spots. I was careful when wiping(although it was painful, she cried)then brought her to the bath and gently cleaned. So tonight I slathered her up again in hopes that when she wakes in the morning it will be better. I always use Earth's Best diaper cream and she's never even had a rash, but tonight I put Balmex on her hoping it would help heal faster. Has this happened to anyone? Know any tips to have it heal quickly? I feel so badly :( Thanks.

Thank you for all of the replies and tips! None I would have thought of on my own! The rash/burn is practically gone and she feels great!I think letting her air dry when ever possible has been key. Thanks again!!

My daughter would get a similar rash as an infant when she drank apple juice; you may want to dilute/eliminate for a time any acidic juices that she is drinking. I guess I would also reduce/eliminate acidic fruits for a time to see if that eliminates the rash.

Best wishes,

Same thing happened to my son for the first time this week! He was crying when I wiped and had really small bloody spots. I used Balmex for two or three diaper changes and it went away and is in now fine. It was no fun, I felt terrible for him but it healed quickly. I think it will be better today! Hoping so for her AND YOU!

My daughter had this problem right before she cut her 2 year molars. i personally never use diaper cream, i think it makes it worse. Vaseline has always worked much better, it coats the area and takes away the stinging. try putting some on before you put her in the bath so that the sores have a chance to adjust to the water without that initial sting.

My first response is to have her tested for food allergies and Intolerances. IGg and IGe forms of allergies. The gut reaction to foods we can not tolerate can result in a "burning poop" with our kids. I learned this the hard way. One of my children has 7 differnt things that cause this in his system...some other things were eczema, and behavior issues that we couldnt explain. When we took these foods out of his diet, his bowls cleared up, his eczema next to went away and his behavior improved. We tested our youngest early and found two things that could cause this in him. We are lucky to catch that early.
You may also want to look for a yeast reaction...some of the "bubbles" could actually be yeast...using a bit of Monistat on her bottom will help with that.

Some things you can try to help her heal, and dont hurt as badly is baby oil, and a medicated cornstarch powder, like Gold Bond (baby aisle at CVS) Desitin worked wonders on my kids at times, but can make it very painful for your child!

Im not a doctor, but i am a parent who went thru years of this, not knowing how to stop it, what was causing it, many medical bills, and finally got an answer.

I cringe at the memories.:( Balmex is great for burned bottoms. Desitin is great too. You can try using the Balmex and powder her with cornstarch (yes, from your pantry). It would be best if she could be without a diaper for a while. Also don't use baby wipes, wash with warm water and mild soap. Good luck and God bless.

i don't know about te blistering, but lavender is very soothing for a burn, even daiper rash. if you get the essential oil mix it with a carrier oil, like fractionated coconut oil and rub on the babies bottom.

take baby and sample of pooh to emergency room. Let them test pooh and treat burn and pain.

Silly question but is she cutting any molars or K9 teeth??? My son is 17 months and he had never had a diaper rash which is surprising since the rest of his skin is so sensitive. But on Thursday he had very runny poo (sorry TMI) and by the time he got up from his nap he was screaming in pain and pulling his diaper off. I had the Aveeno Diaper rash crème that I got with one of his bath sets so I cleaned him up which was a HUGE task because he did NOT want his bottom touched, and put the crème on did that for all diaper changes but I did not see a great improvement. Yesterday I called the ped and they asked me if he was cutting molars...I said no…he has all 4 then they asked me about the K9 teeth...low and behold he is cutting 3 right now, they said I may also notice a rash around his mouth, and they recommended me trying Desitin the creamy formula. So yesterday went out and bought it and we used it last night (went on with out a tear)…this morning he was 90% better he can sit again with out crying…tonight he looked great but then 10 mins before bed his poo was super runny again and his bottom is super red again so I put it on thick and I am praying for the best…But the Desitin has worked thus far, and tonight I also noticed the rash around his mouth so hopefully in a couple of days the teeth will have cut threw and both of the rashes will clear up.

I feel your pain. My daughter still has problems with this sometimes and she just turned 2. I agree with your other responces find which ever zinc oxide diaper cream you prefer and place it in a small bowl with a lid, add 2 tbs of liquid malox. This will help neutralize the acid in the poo and urine. Our pedi. told us about this and every since we started the rash usually clears up in just a couple applications. Hope this helps the little bottom in your house.

Best wishes,

First: A little baking soda in the bath does wonders to soothe rashes. Next: dry completely....I use a hair dryer on LOW,COOL setting. In the summer time I let my boys run in the backyard naked whenever possible. A few minutes goes a long way.
Lastly, I would venture to say something was fed to her at the daycare that irritated her system. I semi-bland diet at home a couple days and she should be back to normal. Or she could have even had a change like a new caregiver at the daycare. Something definitely changed. Their systems are so sensitive.
I've always used Melaleuca's Renew lotion. It's the absolute best for any skin irritaton.
WAHM

1 / 3