Antibiotics for Tonsilitis?

My son has been having a sore throat since last week. I took him to the pedi on Monday and she said tonsilitis. She swabbed his throat, said it wasn't strep and so it would just have to run it's course so she didn't give me any antibiotics. Now his throat is worse than ever and his breathing at night frightens me. He sounds like he has sleep apnea, stops breathing periodically, etc. I am wondering if I should take him back for a second opinion and if there is anything else besides ibuprofen and tylenol that I can do for him.

I used to get strep and pharyngitis all the time. When I stopped consuming dairy and sugar products I never got them again. Sugar weakens the immune system and dairy causes phlegm and all sorts of ailments with long term damage.
www.notmilk.com

I would suggest MMS (miracle mineral solution) to knock out the infection, along with immune system boosting supplements. Colostrum, vitamin C, and blue-green algae/spirulina are all good immune system supports, while vitamin C and MMS need to be given spread apart since they neutralize one another. The pharmaceuticals like tylenol suppress symptoms but they actually add further stress to an already weak system and are best avoided since they don't treat the source of the illness.

The incubation period for strep can be kind of long, so while he didn't have it when they swabbed him - he could have it now. Tonsillitis by nature is a virus, but typically comes along with a sinus infection of sorts. The mucus running down the back of the throat causes the tonsils to get red and inflamed. I would definitely take him to the Dr. again!!!! Especially if there are breathing issues - it could have been a sinus infection that has now gotten into his lungs and caused bronchitis or even pneumonia.

Being mother of twins-my girls have had that same stuff several occassions. My ped always did exactly the same thing and told me the exact same thing. When its tonsilitis you have to just let it run its course and with twins omg by the time it was over we all felt like cabin fever!!!

There was one time I went to an Urgent care facility because Ped was completely booked because it was around a holiday or something. I told the Doc I thought it might be tonsilititis because the symptoms seemed to be the same as before all the other times. She looked at her and agreed with me and wrote an RX for her. I was confused because I was always told it just had to run its course. A few days later the other became sick so I was able to get her in with my regular ped and do you know what the results were? SWINE FLU!!!! How did the urgent care miss that? She didn't even swab my child's throat to test for strep nor did she consider giving her the flu test to rule those out-she just took mom's word (which believe me not there are times as moms we know better than our docs but not always-hence the reason I took her in to be seen!) I vowed to never evre go back to that place ever again. Other mom's in the area have referred them too and I tell them my story and how I will not ever go back. Maybe the Doc didn't want to take the extra time or was trying to push through all the patients. Perhaps they aren't really geared to see children. Or maybe she really has no business being a Doc!

If it's not bacteria related, antibiotics will not help anyway. In fact they will weaken his immune system and make it worse. That sounds like a smart doctor....

There are things that will help his immune system and his throat while youre letting it run it's course. Elderberry syrup or extract will build the immune system. You didn't say how old he is but you can get it in liquid and it tastes good so it's easy to give. High grade tea tree oil diluted in water and gargled will heal and bring down the swelling. I use a throat spray with the oil in it and it somewhat deadens the pain as well. You can put the tea tree oil in a vaporizer as well as it is aromatic too. That will help his breathing. An absorbable multivitamin will help so the body will try to fight it off all by itself.

If you're interested in other ways to build the immune system and want to go that route I'll be glad to elaborate for you. Let me know.

www.squidoo.com/ifyourbabycouldtalk

My daughter had to take antibiotics for her tonsilitis to get better. She sounded about the same. She also had a fever of 102 for a week though

YESSSSS i had pharyngitis which is similar to tonsilitis and my throat was so swollen i couldnt breathe, eat, yawn or anything. my doctor gave me antibiotic but i dont have insurance....so i thought it would go away and two weeks later its worse than ever...now im taking the antibiotics and it seems to be clearing up nicely. :) i would go back to the doctor if its getting worse and DEMAND something....doctors now days just want to get to the next patient as fast as they can.

www.notmilk.com

F.,
I dont know anything about tonsilitis & antibiotics. But I do know about a Mom's intuition & it sounds like yours is going off. So go with your gutt & take him for a 2nd opinion. It sounds like you are pretty worried, & understandably so. So take him to another doc. It will help both of you sleep better at night =)
H.

1 / 3