Always Stuffy Nose

My 2 1/2 year old daughter has been having this stuffy nose problem for past 3-4 weeks or so. She's not sick and doing well, but her nose is always stuffy. Not runny or have cold symptoms, but I guess something must be bothering her nose. It's not stuffy 24 hours, but she usually has something in her nose that bothers her and sometimes it's hard for me to watch her being so bothered by her stuffy nose. She hates the saline spray, so when I try to use that on her, she panics and gets upset. And even when I do get that in her nose, it doesn't always resolve the issue.
I know I've been having problems with allergies lately, but it's not too bad so I let it go and don't take any medicine, but do I need to do and be concerned about my daughter?
Other moms say their kids have runny nose or other things like that all the time I shouldn't have to worry about especially when she's happy and healthy and have my daughter go through all different doctors and all, which would be more stressful for both of us...
It just bothers me so much when I see her having stuffy nose and I can't so much for her. I feel so bad and I wish I can do something for her other than chase her around with saline spray.
Thank you.

Thank you all so much for being so great and sharing all the good information!!!
I already use the humidifier, but I will try other things mentioned to help her nose when needed.
I thank all the moms out there again!

Dairy products are very mucus producing. if you can manage to cut out or cut down on dairy when you are stuffy it can help

You have received some great advice. My son is 2 1/2 and has seasonal allergies, so we give him Clariton as needed. (as per his ped's suggestion) We have also used a humidifier in the past and Pedicare Vapor Plug Ins have helped him to breathe easier when needed. I also have placed warm cloths on his nose to help drain the mucus and that works well too- especially in the morning. Hope this helps....Take care!

To clear her nose try the Nosefrida (www.nosefrida.com) and the BeBe Sounds Nasal Aspirator (it even plays music)! The combo really works..my dd goes and gets me the "boogie sucker". :)

If you are experiencing allergy symptoms, she probably is as well. We noticed allergies in our son when he was just 8 months old. At that point, he was on Clarinex for a few weeks and now we use Singulair for kids just when he needs it. Works like a charm! Call your ped.

That sounds like my son last year--always stuffy and then he was sneezing w/ a lot of mucous. It was allergies. See you pediatrician. One thing that might help (it helps my son) is to run a cool mist humidifier in her room at night. Kind of keeps the nasal passages moist to eliminate that crusty nose thing!
Make sure her room isn't too dusty (mattress pad, stuffed animals, etc.)

Hi J. C, pitch the saline spray unless she's sick! It's not worth it! If you are having allergies, then more than likely she is too. Have you changed anything around your house in the 3-4 weeks? It could be anything from hand soap to fabric softner...or it could be a seasonable thing. If you can't figure out what may be triggering it yourself, you should mention it to your doctor. Maybe using some dinatapp allergy would help. Ask your doctor first since she is so little of course. Good luck and best wishes.

sounds like allergies. Try giving her clarion over the counter.

How old?

Try decongestant

call the pediatrician they will be able to take care of it.

If it's not bothering her, I wouldn't worry about it. It is probably some sort of environmental allergy. You could always take her to an allergist. They can quickly and painlessly identify any environmental allergens that they test for. At least you would know what is bothering her and then you can look at options - allergy shots, medication, saline drops, etc....
FYI - My son was just diagnosed with a severe tree nut allergy and the testing was done on his back - it was painless..he actually said it tickled. Good luck!

To help with symptoms, one dose of benadryl in the morning works wonders. When my son has had a spell of a stuffy nose for over 3 weeks, the pediatrician likes to see him. His episodes sounds very similar. There were a couple of occasions where an antibiotic was needed to get him past the stuffy hurdle. Other times he has eventually kicked it on his own. (We tried Zyrtec and it didn't help. So, that kinda ruled out the seasonal allergy theory for him.)

Try a humidifier in her room at night. If possible, invest in a large multi room size humidifier to put in your main living area during the day, like a credenza floor style. When fall and winter rolls in, this can really help allergy sufferers.

K. B
mom to 5 includuing triplets
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarrisburgPAChat

1 / 3