Allergies Causing Nose Bleeds/

my 6 year old son has had nosebleeds this spring. he is always rubbing his nose- especially at night. I will check on him and he is rubbing his nose on his pillow. Of course all of this rubbing is probably causing his nose to bleed. I think he has allergies making him so itchy. I know he is allergic to grass as he gets a rash if he sits in the grass.

I have tried giving him claritan for almost a week and it doesn't seem to help. Any idea.

he is acftng fine.. not sick at all.

yes to what wild woman said.

Also - use saline gel spray in his nose - it will keep it moist and then will not be as prone to bleeding.

You should also talk to the Dr about flonase. They are doing some research that flonase (or the generic equivalent) is actually BETTER than the allergy pill, because it actually stops then nose from secreting the mucous when it has the allergic response.
Problem - it's gross. especially for kids. The saline spray won't have odor or taste - so usually better for kids.

L.:

I realize he's six - but put socks on his hands at night before he goes to bed. Tell him it will help him not scratch/itch his nose.

Give him the antihistamine at night instead of in the morning.

Have him tested to find out just what he is allergic to.
If he's having more problems in his bed - you might want to wash his pillow, bed spread, etc. and make sure his room is "dust free" - if he has carpeting - vacuum it before he goes to bed...make sure his blinds and/or curtains are cleaned too. I know it's a lot of work - but it should help!

I'd try a saline solution at night and maybe periodically throughout the day.

And I also agree with washing his pillow and bed spread.

In addition, I'd consider getting allergen mattress and pillow case covers in case he is allergic to dust mites.

If you want to try allergy medicine and Claritin isn't working, you could try Zyrtec or see an pediatric allergist and see what he/she suggests. Some medicines work better than others for each person. It seems to be that way with Claritin and Zyrtec. Some swear by one and others swear by the other.

One of my sons seems to have seasonal allergies and he has been doing better now that we've given him Zyrtec. I have tons of of outdoor allergies. I do a nasal inhaler and Zyrtec. If you talk to a pediatric allergist and your son ends up on a nasal inhaler, keep in mind that different inhalers also work better than others depending on the person. If one nasal inhaler doesn't work, ask the allergist for another brand. The allergist should be able to look up your son's nose and see if an inhaler would help as they can tell if the nasal passages are red and swollen.

His nose is too dry. Use a saline spray several times a day and at night. Be sure he's getting lots of water. One thing you can do is use some bacitracin or plain old Vaseline (just a little) with a Q-tip inside his nose. It will moisten it up.

Don't use a humidifier - those are breeding grounds for allergens.

I get nose bleeds when my allergies are severe also. Either use a saline solution and/or try a humidifier in his room to keep moisture in his sinuses.

yes to what wild woman said.

It could be the Claritin drying out his nasal passages and that causes nosebleeds easily. Try the saline routine. But you should probably get him allergy tested as well.

Hope he gets better!

Try a bit of vaseline up each nostril... sounds like the claritin is drying him out a little too well.

Sounds like grass to me. May and June are the what we call "grass season". My son is really allergic to grass, which we discovered at the allergist. We have found the Zyrtec works best. If he didn't take it every day, he gets nosebleeds and rashes. He also gets the allergic shiners, dark circles under his eyes. Anyway, try a different type of allergy medication. And give it a couple of weeks. If he really is allergic, it will help reduce symptoms.

1 / 3