Advice for What Type of Cold Med's. to Give 4 Year Old with Wet Cough Symptoms.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for which medication works the best for child with wet,phlemy cough? I think it's a cold but not sure? There is so many cold allergy med's and just like to get something that other Mom's have used and have worked?
Any advice of what's your favorites or remedy's would be appreciated!
Thank you:)

Thank you all for your advice and tips. I'am looking into your recommendations.

Thank you,

I really like the triaminic thin strips: they have them for different combinations of symptoms and I think for the cough and runny nose one you have to call the doctor for dosing under age 6. Read the label, though, I could be wrong!

If he has a cough for a few days I'd go to the dr. it could be asthma, a wet cough could also be pheumonia

Hello K.,

I have two children (now adults) with both allergies and asthma; one with coughing type of asthma. I'm was not one for giving my children a lot of medications whether over the counter or prescribed without seeking other alternatives; of course after discussing with their physician. If your child has not been officially diagnosed with an allergy or asthma you really should consult with their physician first.

However, if they have I have found that a strong cup of black coffee works well and sometimes can assist in warding off an attack if the child is on a maintenance schedule. The caffeine helps to open the bronchial passages without the adverse side effects. If you're worried about the effects it might have don't! Coffee does not have the same affect on children (jitters/insomnia) as it does on adults and despite the old wives tale of it stunting your growth....my son is 6'4" and still growing!!!!

BTW - Black coffee can also ward off a migraine if you catch it early enough!!!

Antimonium Tartaricum 6C which is a homeopathic. Has always worked for my niece when she was ill.

Doctors don't recommend the OTC products for kids under five, so definitely look for anything that gives you the dosage on the bottle. Kaiser wouldn't even give us that information, they're so adamant kids not take the OTC remedies.

I did get our doctor to agree to let our daughter take Benadryl when she had a horrendous cold and it gave her relief. Apparently they're quite confident about the dosing for Benadryl. Don't know that it helps with cough, though, but you might check.

Recent research has shown that cough medications don't actually work on children. We use a humidifier at night (it works great for grown-ups too). We make sure our kids (4 and 2) drink lots of water during the day.

I don't think it's really beneficial to stop the cough completely - your son has to get that stuff out. I would agree with the mom who suggested an expectorant during the day and a cough suppressant at night and definitely lots of clear liquids. Suppressing the cough round the clock could cause it to turn to bronchitis if he doesn't cough the mucus out.

Most OTC medications suppress symptoms, but do nothing to help with the progression of the moving the virus out. In fact, they can sometimes prolong the illness because they feel better and over exert themselves which doesn't allow the body to rest and recoup.

Whenever my kids have colds, I work to boost their immune systems, not medicate. There are all kinds of herbal remedies and vitamins for little ones nowadays. Vitamin C and zinc are great for all ages (my eldest with allergies takes them daily as do I.) I use a formula called "Well Child" by Planetary Herbals which combines a number of great herbs for the immune system and tastes yummy too.

For symptoms, I use Nature's Sunshine's Herbasaurs homeopathic remedy "For Children with Cold." I also cut out (or at least down) dairy and refined sugars until they are better. Sometimes, a humidifier can help keep the fluid moving and breathing easier at night and they have tasty organic cough drops now to help with sleeping too. Last, but not least, if he is willing to drink any kind of hot herbal tea (Celestial Seasonings has some good fruity flavors!) or hot (not scalding of course) water with lemon and honey this will also aid in the movement of fluid during the day. The primary intention with all of these is to boost the immune system and keep the fluid moving that bug out (that's what the phlegmy wetness is about.)

While there is no cure for the common cold, there are lots of good home remedies to help it move along quickly! And if it is allergies, these will all help as well.

we have, occasionally used an exectorant, which helps them cough up the phlegm. It has good results, but is not a cough suppressant. I personally think that coughs/fevers have purposes, and to figure out what's best based on that. Based on what you said, I would be leaning toward an expectorant.

1 / 3