Adjustment or Massage?

Hi moms,
Got a question. I can't tell if i need an adjustment from the chiropractor or a deep tissue massage? My upper back, neck and shoulder area feels really stressed, and i have been under a lot of stress lately, so i can't decide if i should make an appointment with the chiro or massage therapist?
I don't want to spend any more money than i have too. What would you suggest?

ps. my back doesn't hurt or anything, it just feels tight.

OK, so it sounds like a deep tissue massage is what i need, which i have never had done before. I get massages frequently, but do not care for the deep pressure, until now. Looks like i might have to suck this one up and go with it. i know that my therapist always checks in with me during the massage and if the pressure gets to be to much for me, all i have to do is tell her.
I have never been to the chiro, but i have had plenty of people tell me it just made their body feel worse after a treatment.
thanks ladies!

You very well may need a deep tissue massage but I just wanted to say my chiropractor helps me more than anything else when I have back/shoulder/neck pain. I first started going to see him when I was pregnant on the advice of my OB/GYN. I was having terrible lower back pain and I had gotten a few massages with absolutely no results. I did have to go to the chiropractor several times because my back was in worse shape than I thought. After my very first adjustment I was in even more pain but I decided to keep going and eventually I felt tremendously better (to the point that I wished I would have gone to see him several years ago).

I would do the deep tissue massage along with some ibruprophen before going with an adjustment. The adjustment doesn't help the muscles. If it's just muscular, you need the massage more.

Both.
A *good* chiropractor should have a good napropath on staff to loosen you up first, prior to your adjustment.

Depending on your insurance, it may be covered.

Massage. I don't believe you can just "adust" your spine.... but I will save my chiropractor gripes for another time. Sounds like you really need a good, relaxing massage. To save money, how about asking you hubby to do it?

Being out of alignment can cause the muscle strain and tension. I would go see a Chiropractor first and see how you feel. It will be cheaper then the massage. If you then feel like you still need the massage then go that route. You may even be able to find a chiro that works with a massage therapist (mine does) and that should also be cheaper then going to a spa for a DT massage.

I used to work for a chiropractor and have seen the good it does. A person will often feel sore after an adjustment because the muscles got use to being pulled out of place by the misaligned spine. It is normal for a little inflammation to occur and most chiros will tell you this and suggest putting ice on your back to help. If you are really out of alignment then more than one session is necessary to get everything to stay in place. It's also good to get monthly adjustments if you can afford it (a lot of health insurance plans cover chiro so you may be able to go a lot more often then you realize).

Yoga classes and do yoga 5 days a week. That'll take the stress away.

I always do both, massage first then adjustment. Sometimes during the course of chiropractic treatment it does feel worse before it gets better. I always ice afterward. But typically they go hand in hand, if the muscles are tight they can hold the spine in an improper position, causing nerve damage if not fixed, and if the spine is out of alignment it can cause muscle spasm or tension.

Added: I'm sorry to the woman whose relative died after being adjusted, but the odds of that happening to just anyone are something like 1 in several hundred thousand, where as something more like 1 in 50 die daily from drug errors by physicians. Chiropractic is very, very safe!

My experience with chiropractors was that I ended up in more pain than before went, so I won't let another one ever touch me.

1 / 3