Pain in My Leg After Childbirth

Every since I had my last son(who is now 1)I've had pain in my siatic nerve which runs down the side of my leg, I also have had migraines about every three months, and sometimes my face or arm goes numb on one side of my body. It all started when I was about seven months pregenant with him. I would have numbness sometimes when I would wake up. I have had c-sections with both of my sons. I basically am wondering if anyone else has gone through something similar to this, and what they did to get better. Or maybe someone could suggest what kind of doctor I should try going to? A friend thought a nerologist, another a chiropractor. I don't know and am looking for any suggestions anyone has.

Well I just want to tell everyone thankyou for all the help. It is so nice to hear that others have gone through the same things. I was so worried I had some sort of permanant damage done from the epideral or something. I am going to call and make appointments for a message and a chiropractor today. I'm sure I'll be getting better now that I've heard all of your stories and how you've recovered. As for you who asked me to get together I live in Wyoming so I am not close enough to any of you from Colorado to get together or use your chiros, but thanks for the invitation. I wish I would have known about this site sooner. I might have avoided my stay at the hospital from a horried migrain I had just recently. It is amazing to me how many of you take the time out of your busy days(being a mom and all) to help me out. I am so thankfull for your responses. I hope you the best. Thanks!

If you are interested, I think I can help you. I got help with joint and muscle discomfort from a program that I have been on. Contact me privately if you want to and good luck!
-B

I had problems with my Sciatic nerve with my 2nd daughter. It was pretty bad toward the end of my pregnancy - my leg gave out a few times while I was walking and I would get the numbness as well. After delivery, it wasn't as bad but I also saw a chiropractor which I attribute much of the relief. I think it is well worth a few visits to see if it helps. If not, a good chiropractor could refer you on to another specialist.

I believe in the well-timed adjustment when something is out, and even more so, I believe in Rolfing. Rolfing re-aligns the bodies fascial networks (the white collagenous, super strong fiber that weaves between muscles, organs and bones) in a very intelligent way. A combination of Rolfing and chiropractic can do just the trick, because, to my way of thinking, if you're only putting the bones back in place then you are ignoring what's pulling them out in the first place.

- A.

-B

I would call my OBGYN and let him or her know just so they can put it in your chart. They might want to see you, but as far as I know usually a regular doctor will have to refer you to a neurologist. If you want too, it wouldnt hurt to see a chiropractor either. Whatever you feel is best for you. I really enjoy visiting my chiropractor. I have had both my boys c-section and have back problmes from athletics when I was younger. I also had sciatica pain during the end of my pregnancy and a trainer at my gym told me that when I sit and walk to tuck my pelvis under (hope that makes sense?) I started being very mindful of my posture and doing this as often as I remembered. It really seemed to help and I don't have any problems with it now. Good Luck!

i had some thing very similar, i think pregnancy and then carrying a baby around all the time really does a number on your back. my doc referred me to a physical therapist. turns our my shoulders and hips were tweaked pretty bad. she used heat therapy, special exercises, and some in office therapies to loosen my muscles and get things back in the proper place. i also started a core-work out to strengthen the muscles so they could help bear the load of my kids. so maybe start by seeing your doc and ask for a referral

unfortunatley, I too have experienced this with one of my five. you are correct in your statement regarding the sciatic nerve being involved. I required several ongoing visits to my chiropractor to finally get some resolution, could no longer sleep on that side of my body and within time, it has finally improved. I increased fish oils and my calcium w/magnesium also, per nutritional coaching.

The sciatic nerve stuff is probably trigger point mediated and massage therapy or stretching or physical therapy or chiropractic would help with that. The headache stuff sounds like atypical migraine. I would see a neurologist for that. For one thing, it can make you higher risk for stroke. You want to know about that before you decide on hormonal methods of contraception, for sure. Also, there are things to do to help the headaches and numbness (I hope you are not having the blindness; I had that, too, and it made life a little scary).

I REALLY think you need to see a chiropractor! Start with that and if it doesn't work, go from there. It just sounds like your boby is out of wack. A good chiro will help with that. You will also have to remember that it will most likely take more than one session to fix the problem.

The best thing you can do for that is a massage therapist. Get a deep tissue massage. Stephanie

1 / 3