Acid Reflux - Round Lake, IL

My 1 month old was just diagnosed with acid reflux today. The dr. prescribed Prevacid. She doesn't have a major issue with spitting up. More gagging, burping, crying after feedings (she's breastfed), and while laying on her back, frequent hiccups. But mainly, she's uncomfortable. Any advice or insight?

My 2 month old has reflux and it's horrible seeing him in so much pain. Listening to him scream and not being able to do anything for him is the worst. We started on Zantac but start Prevacid tomorrow. Zantac wasn't working too well for us. Also, try Dr. Brown's bottles. They're a little bit more expensive, but they do help. We also have him sitting up to feed. Good luck!

Hi J.!
I feel for what you are going through! My daughter was a premie and diagnosed with reflux at 3 weeks old. Watch the medications as she grows the doses will need to be increased. Also go with your gut and if she isn't feeling better keep insisting they find something to help. We ended up putting rice in her bottles to keep the formula down better. It worked for a while. We eventually ended up at a GI specialist who did an upper Gi to rule out malformations(she had none) and then doubled her meds and she was a different baby--HAPPY for the first time in her life. Within 3 days of that she could sleep flat in her bed. Before that we used the Papasan Chair which was perfect at an incline and we put the chair in her crib. It really helped her sleep.

Reflux is a long hard road for us and we are still battling it at 8 months old! Hopefully it will not cause too much pain for your baby(our daughter has a BAD case) and you will have a happy little girl soon!!

There is support group and website for a group called PAGER that has lots of good info.
Good Luck!!

My baby (9 weeks) was diagnosed with this at his 3 week appt and my dr said about 2/3 of babies have problems with this because the muscles in their esophagus are not very strong. She said she didn't like to give medicine like those because of side effects that sometimes are worse than the problem you are treating (I don't know what those are, but I really trust her and I've gone through LOTS of doctors with my 4 year old). She prescribed Zantac, which she said is better tolerated by younger babies and it doesn't stop the reflux, but it does make the acid less acidic so that it doesn't hurt them when they have the reflux. It was helped immensely with my little boy. Maybe ask your dr about trying that first?

I've had acid reflux for over 10 years and our daughter was diagnosed with acid reflux at about 2 months. She was on zantac and a special formula (Enfamil Nutramigen). She did however outgrow it by 9 months and was weaned off of the medicine.
B/C you are breastfeeding you'll need to watch what you eat: no caffeine, spicy or acidic foods.
Something else to watch out for...our daughter protested every time we gave her tummy time due to the acid reflux flairing up. As a result she never had the chance to strengthen her back and neck muscles. Because of this she had low tone and has been in physical therapy for 5 months now. So, the point I am trying to make is, if tummy time is difficult for your daughter, have her do tummy time on an incline with her head higher then her heart.
Sorry to be so wordy!

My breastfed son is 15 months and outgrew acid reflux a month ago. He was on Axid for a year but now he's fine. Another think that helped a lot was I gave up all dairy products. Whenever I would stray, he would spit up and cry. Even though dairy bothered his acid reflux when he breastfed, he does fine with cow's milk and yoghurt now. We waited longer than most to introduce them at age 13 months.

My daughter had acid reflux too....UGH!!! I switched bottles, twice, switched her formula, 3 times! Then she started taking zantac. It worked great!! She took it 3 times a day before she ate. Most babies out grow it, and it's usually by 6mo. (that's what my doctor said anyway) My daughter is 7mo now, and she hasn't taken it since she was 4 1/2 or 5 months. She's eating and taking her bottle like she should at this age. It does clear itself up, but isn't it sad to watch them be so uncomfortable!??! She also slept in her car seat, it kept her upright. That's about the only way their was peace and quiet in the house! It's a battle for sure. Hope this helps, if you need any more information or advice, just ask! Good luck!

I just read this article this past week about putting infants on probiotics who have colic, acid reflux, etc to help their immune system, which 80% lies in our large intestine.

http://bodyecology.com/07/09/20/introduce_babies_probioti...

My doctor suggested probiotics since I had a c-section and they miss out on benefical enzymes that pass through the birth canal. I put my baby on some after she could take a bottle. I got mine at www.smartbomb.com by ReNew Life called FloraBaby. It will definitely help and will not hurt. You may want to take some too to boost your probiotic intake. It is a great article.

My son was an acid reflux baby... I knew that he was extremely uncomfortable, and I wanted to do anything to make him feel better. He was darn near 3 months before we got a smile from him... he was not a happy camper :( We used Zantac and he did well on that, though as he grew the dose needed to be adjusted.

My little guy would cry during feedings... he would stop and pull away, arch his back and scream. He could not lay flat for a good 6 months. hiccups all the time, spitting up, though not a lot, just frequent. he would also sputter during feedings, almost like the flow was too fast and it was choking him.

Try the meds... and put all the reflux tips to work for you (lying on a wedge, keeping upright after meals, etc).

We also started a few tsp. of cereal at around 6 weeks... I know, it's early, but we it wasn't to replace any formula, it was for the sheer fact that the weight of the cereal helped him keep things down and wouldn't allow the acid to splash back up into his esophagus. This was doctor recommended.

Don't fret, our boy outgrew his condition, though we are not able to introduce acidic foods for a while (orange, tomato, etc). he's 1 1/2 now and hasn't shown any issues since around 7-9 months and went off the meds.

p.s. - my son also needed to eat more often and took less at each meal. This may mean your baby will be attached to the breast a lot more than a baby without reflux. they simply cannot handle big meals. So be aware of that too...

Good luck J. - may god bless you with the patience of a saint... you're gonna need it :)

Our son had problems with gas and the doctor diagnosed that it was coming from me through my breast milk. I had to be really careful not to eat any chocolate, broccoli, soda, etc. Any foods that could cause gas. If you are drinking alot of milk it could be effecting her. Try switching to goats milk or soy milk.
Our doctor always said what ever you eat the baby eats too.

1 / 3