7Month Old Bowel Movements:how Many?

How many bowel movements does a 7 month old typically have? My breast fed baby has been on solids for a month: rice cereal w/ breast milk, some organic baby food,& some home made mashed up fruit or veggies. She really enjoys the food. She is still breast fed about 4-5x a day and 2-4x a night. Her bowel movements have drastically dropped from 2 a day to one or two every 2 days. Is this normal?

I'm sorry I'm responding so late, but THANK YOU to everyone with all the sound advice. It's amazing how I got every kind of advice from "perfectly normal" to "not normal at all." So I took it all and found a happy medium. I slowed down my daughter's intake of rice cereal to once every couple of days. I introduced the oatmeal, which was fine, but her bowel movements did not become more frequent. I only give her those cereals every couple of days now and give her vege/fruit everyday. She still breast feeds more than anything else, 4+x a day 2 a night. Her bowel movements are approx.every other day. I had her on breastmilk exclusively one week and saw no change in frequency of movements, so I brought the baby food back in. She does seem fine, and not straining anymore. I know at least one movement. preferably 2 for adults is great, but that's just not happening here, even on breast milk exclusively. I think she's doing ok.

I am a mother of 5 breastfed shildren and having been through this myself, I can say this is completely normal. My youngest son, also 7 months, went from 2-3 a day to one every other day. What you want to watch for is if the stool becomes difficult to pass or is hard, like little peebles, this could be a sign she is constipated.

Call your pediatrician if you're worried about anything concerning your child. That's what they get paid the big bucks for. You can call even if you think it's a small thing or silly.

Anyhow, it is normal for babies to slow down on the poop trail as they get older. Their gut is maturing, stomaches can hold more, and their bodies absorb more of what they are eating.

I have an almost nine month old girl who can poop 2-3 times on one day and go for the next 2 days without going at all. She decided that she only wanted to nurse yesterday and ate like a pig (solids) today. My son used to not go for 2-3 days and was exclusively breast fed for the 1st year. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they are just like we are, hungry one day, not the next, poopy one day, not the next.

Trust yourself and listen to the little person. She knows what her body needs and when she needs it.

You never need to worry. You can just call your pediatrician and put your mind to rest. I used to call my son's for every little thing when I was a first time mom. He told me to do it and told me to never apologize when I did.

Peace.

Its only been a month of new foods, so make sure you keep an eye on it and like others said that she isn't straining.

Check out www.babycenter.com for sample feeding guides to make sure she's not getting what she needs. If you get really concerned ask her doctor.

It took my son 2 months for his bowel movements to regulate again...it just takes time for the belly to adjust.

Good luck!!!

A baby should be having at least one bowel movement a day. You can try baby food prunes, or a little prune juice diluted with water. If that doesn't work, I'd give up the rice and just use the fruit and vegetable foods. Later on (after 12 months) you could try barley cereal or oatmeal instead of rice, but I wouldn't do it before a year, because you don't want to create a gluten allergy by introducing it too early. (Gluten is present in wheat, rye, barley and oats, and in almost all prepared foods, so avoiding it later in life is a real pain. When my baby had lumpy hard stools, I gave her a little magnesium powder (a formula made for babies, bought at the health food store) and that softened them right up. B.

We had the same issues while feeding rice cereal. I've cut the cereal out (it's actually NOT easy to digest for babies and serves NO nutritional purpose whatsoever), and we're back to normal.

Food is funny on little tummies. This may be normal for your DD right now. Just keep an eye on it, make sure she doesn't appear to be straining or in pain (constipated) and you may want to ease off the rice cereal and bananas a bit as they tend to bind. As always, if you notice further problems, call your pediatrician. Good luck!

Mom of four here. To answer your question - NORMAL! Absolutely normal. Solid foods change the entire digestive process. It would be alarming if you started solids and her bowel movements did not change. All is as it should be.

To answer your daughters question regarding whether it is normal for her mom to be counting her bowel movements - yes, it is normal. You have a first time mom, and they tend to do stuff like that. It is just because she loves you so much and wants to be the best mom she can be. :0)

This is indeed normal. My baby is breastfed with the occasional
cereal/and or food and has a bowel movement every 3 or 4 days.
I asked her pedi about it and she told me as long as it doesnt go more than a week and isnt a different consistancy than it normally is. Dont worry about it. It just means there isnt much waste being produced by the food in your babies system and she is getting the nutrients she needs. Good Luck!

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

bowel movements bowel movements