7 Month Old and Bowel Movements

I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem. My 7 month old son has a bowel movement usually every other day, but they are EXPLOSIVE! Today he had two really messy explosions that required baths to clean him up. I'm growing tired of always having to wash poop out of his clothes, changing table covers, and not to mention him and myself. He recently has started eating some solids (not very much). We took him off the solids for a while to see if that would help, but it is the same. He is also solely breastfed. I don't know how much longer this is going to last, but I can't wait for this stage in his babyhood to be over. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

My son, also exclusively breastfed until he was 6 months, had horrible blowouts until he started on solids. The solids really solidified his bowel movements, especially after we moved on to finger foods. I used to keep stain stick in his changing table and would use it several times a day on various items, but now we rarely use it for blowouts (instead, it is for food stains!).

I would take a look at what you are eating and see if that's affecting him. What you eat - he eats.

Have you considered trying a larger diaper size? I found that having a little extra room down below can accommodate the explosion and gas with less spread up the front and back or dribble down the sides. You can't always rely on the size on the packages.

Have you tried some applesauce and rice cereal mixed together - my son loved it with some cinnamon sprinkled in and it's very healthy too (if you buy unsweetened sauce or make it yourself). Bananas are constipating, maybe he needs a daily dose? Or sweet potato?

Maybe you can suppliment his mid-morning nursing with a feeding? Even a few spoons of cereal mix and then nursing until he's full could do the trick for you!

Hope you find what works for you - and soon!

Hi S.-
This happened to my daughter as well & she isn't breastfed. It seems like she gets this way when she is working on getting a tooth. I agree with the other moms about it being a phase. Have you tried the BRATY (banana, rice, applesauce, toast, & yogurt) diet. You said you were introducing new foods. This might help in small portions.

I would say this has nothing to do with his digestive system being out of whack, but just that he's a breastfed baby. The breastmilk doesn't solidify when the body digests, and with my little girl it doesn't matter what diapers I use, it doesn't matter what position she is in, she is going to poop out the diaper, and up her back, her front, and out the sides. The liquid is shooting out into a diaper wall, and it's got to go somewhere! It comes out too fast for the diaper to absorb it. I've finally tried solids to get it to stop, but I guess I'm not giving her enough, the smell has changed, but the consistency has not!I'm planning to up her level of solids, while continuing to breastfeed. I know this will help. Also, I can guarantee that she will poop after a bath, just her way of staying dirty I guess. If you have an idea of when he is going to go, maybe be watchful and go with already stained clothes that day. Also, Oxiclean works great! Even if you don't get to the stain right away. I use the spray and let it sit on there for awhile, and the stain is gone! A clean diaper also has a little less of a mess than a wet one, but when they're explosive, there is just no helping! I have also noticed that when she goes, I hold her out away from me, and don't touch her bottom, it squirts the poop up. If possible I have someone else remove her pants, it occasionally helps save them. You may want to keep a lap cover on you most times. Just like a formula baby's mom keeps a burp rag around for all the spit up, a b/f baby's mom needs to protect from the poop! Have fun, and enjoy the less stinky, easy to clean up messes while you have them!

S.,

I have had this issue before. I just undressed them in the bath tub. You might try Lactobacilis acidophalus. You can buy it at any nutrition store. I can recommend Nutrition stop or O'fallon Nutrition in the St. Charles area. I used to give it my little guys. They make some for little people. I don't know how long you have had this, but there has been a yucky intestinal virus floating about this month. It is a doozy! Acidophalus replenishes the good bacteria in the stomach and intestinal linning and helps the digestive system. It worked for us. It takes a little while (1 week or so) for the flora to normalize. You said he was breast fed? It may be something you are eating too. Try a food diary and see if it is worse the day after you eat a specific food. Good luck!

I'm not sure I have any advice, really, but I have been there! I am sorry to say that I still have to clean up my 21 month old a few days a week from poop that comes out the back of his diaper. My daughter did this too, but it stopped after she was about 7 or 8 months old. Both were breastfed, and my son still nurses once or twice a day. I have no idea what causes it, or how to stop it. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason . . . . just hang in there, and remember to keep lots of laundry detergent handy!

Do you know when he's going to go? Is there indication (there usually is) or a schedule? I found that when my daughter was about that age she was having a similar problem (holding it in for so long and then it being huge and messy, it started when she started eating solids, she was breastfed too and didn't really eat solids until 7 or 8 months) and I started putting her on the potty every morning, and after she was 8 months old I never changed a poopy diaper again! It just helped her being in that position and having the schedule. Even if that's not the reason, it's much easier to clean up. With my younger daughter I did the same thing, but she goes much more often, but I only clean a poopy diaper if we're on a weird schedule.

Anyway, it might work for you, it did for us. We used the little baby bjorn potties and they loved them.

Congrats on breastfeeding for so long, it's one of the best things you can do for your child, and yourself and certainly helps their digestive tract.

Someone I noticed mentioned acidopholis, and I thought I'd say, I gave it to my baby because of thrush, and I'm not sure if it helped with digestive problems, but it certainly helps my older children, myself and my husband with digestion issues. Might be with a try!

1 / 3