5Yr Old with Large Tonsils, Can't Catch Breath

My 5 year old has very large tonsils confirmed by two pediatricians. Recently a dentist felt he should be worked up for sleep apnea, and we have an initial appointment for that next week. The pediatricians feel he should see an ENT and we're working on that too.
My main question is if any of you moms out there have ever had an experience with a child with some of his symptoms and how it might have worked out for you. He complains of being unable to catch his breath. He opens his mouth and is still for a minute before taking a deep breath in. And he's a bit hyper (looks like from being tired) by the late afternoon. Sometimes he gets angry over little things with this. Usually by that time, I notice he's breathing pretty heavy at these times. He snores at night and his breathing can seem labored, but he does not stop breathing and gasp. His problem seems to be very present during the daytime.
The pediatricians assure me that he is not in a life threatening situation with his breathing and that his tonsils will not get so big that they will close off his airway, but this certainly is a difficult time of uncertainty for us, and I'm trying to gather as much information as possible.
Anyone with a situation similar to ours with advice or willing to share your story, would help us while we wait for our upcoming appointments, a firm diagnosis and a PLAN!
Many Thanks.

Thanks to the moms who shared their experiences with our family. We were able to get an appointment with a good ENT and we have definitely opted to schedule the removal of the tonsils and adenoids asap. I'm no fan of having my child have a surgery, but he is in too much distress and the behavior is affecting his family and peer relations adversely. I am particularly grateful to those families who shared their similar symptoms and outcomes in this area. I saw good pediatricians, but they were out of their element with his tonsil, sleep and behavior combination. The ENT and the sleep specialist didn't seem so surprised, and neither did some of you moms!

WOW!..and why haven't they said..let's take them out?????? And both pedi's didn't reccommend this?....My neice who is asthmatic had problems with her tonsils..got them out at age 4 1/2....sounds like the pediatricians maybe don't have experience in taking out tonsils???...Go see the ENT immediately and get them out asap.

My son had large tonsils even when he didn't have colds. This affected every aspect of his life including his behavior. He was a very difficult child and often was cranky and acted out. I believe much of it was sleep deprivation from never getting a good nights sleep due to apnea. He had his tonsils and adenoids removed when he was 5 and it was the best decision we ever made. He slept better, wasn't sick all of the time, and his behavior improved dramatically. He was almost like a different kid. In addition to the large tonsils he also had several bouts of strep throat and many trips to the doctor with strep symptoms (many turned out to be viral). Despite what your pediatrician says it is never good for your child to have apnea or labored breathing. I would see your ENT asap!

Dear Alysa, I am so sorry this is happening; it sounds like an ordeal. I can tell you what happened similarly with my younger daughter and hope this if informative. She had had labored breathing, mouth breathing, and snoring heavily at night all her little life. Breathing through her mouth made her speech very nasal, as though she had a constant cold. Regular doctor told me not to worry, she would grow out it...I wasn't too convinced but also was not oriented toward interventions or mainstream health system anyway, having my kids at home etc...Finally, at age 7, a speech therapist looked in her little throat and said she has HUGE tonsils and that's why she can't breathe or talk normally...So I went to a truly great ENT doctor who confirmed that they were abnormally large, and said while they weren't a health concern, and he was conservative about surgery, he did recommend they be removed. So with great trepidation I had the surgery done, and it was the best thing ever. I could hear her breathing through her nose IN THE RECOVERY ROOM right after surgery! She never snored again, and all other related issues cleared up. I will tell you that it is never a light issue to have a surgery, and really be ready to stress resting and recovering and be vigilant about complications..but anyway, for us it was best decision ever and I wish you a good doctor and good experience as you figure this out.

My guess is once you see the ENT they will probably recommend removing them. My son had his out when he was 6 due to repeated bouts with strep throat and snoring issues. Since they were removed he has not had strep at all and his sleep is so much better! The first few nights we had to check to make sure he was breathing because he was so much quieter!! By the way, when we were preparing for the procedure I came across some research that showed behavior improvements in children once tonsils were removed. It intrigued me because my son has aspergers so I was hopeful. We didn't notice any change in behavior but that's not to say that it isn't possible.

My 4 year old has had the same issue and has been snoring at times as loud as an adult since he was 1. Like your child, his prognosis was large tonsils. Coincidently, I had to have a sleep apnea study on myself and the prognosis was to have my tonsils removed. At a pediatrician appt for my son, they mentioned that large tonsils can be hereditary and likely he would have to have his tonsils removed since I too had to them removed (a common surgical practice for children up to about 15 years ago). As with your Dr., they assured me it was not life threatening, however, as with adults, long term sleep apnea can be taxing on the heart. The pediatrian's felt he was too young to have a successful sleep apnea study so we did not opt for that, at least for now. Per the pediatrician, children can sometimes grow out of the snoring due to large tonsils. I don't know if that means growth of the head (mouth) allows more room for the tonsils to be more free. In any event, I have experienced the same with my child and we are basically playing the sit and wait game to see if he outgrows the snoring/sleep apnea. If not, we wil have a sleep study done in a few years and figure out a game plan at that time. However, If your child also complains or feels he has to gasp for air, you may want to also rule out asthma. Good luck, know you're not alone with your experience. :)

Hello A.: I have had this experiance with the youngest of our 5 children. He went right away to the ENT and Dr. McConkie, made arrangements within a reasonable time period to have them removed along with the adnoids and my son has not had a single problem since (he is 23 now and was 41/2 whenit was done). I have always appreciated this doctor's quick responce. We were concerned that he could choke because he'd gotten to the pont of gagging when he drank liquids and hated to eat solid food.
I wish you well in helping your child and hope for the best solution possible. Nana Glenda

Be relieved, there is some simple solutions. My son had similar problems and had his tonsils and adenoids removed. Everything improved after that - sleep, behavior, impulse control. You will be amazed. I highly recommend you go to the ENT person first, because they can cut to the chase. The surgery is simple and your child will feel so much better!

My son had the same problem. After long nights of fevers and infections as well as him not eating, I finally had them removed at 3 years old. Best decision we made! After that he never had snoring, fevers, infectins and his appetite has been turned on! Don't wait, get them removed!

I am very surprised they haven't recommended that they be removed. Definitely check with an ENT this week.

1 / 3