5 Weeks Along and in a Lot of Pain

Since my third week I have been having terrible cramping like I was going to start my period, but shortly thereafter found out that I was pregnant. I am still experiencing this intense cramping and it's focused more on my right lower side (pelvic pain). I have yet to see the OBGYN (that's at week 8) and my general doctor said that the pain is norma (stretching of ligaments). But I am afraid that it's more serious because I'm experiencing it every day in periods of about 30 minutes to an hour. Also, I am having no bleeding. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks everyone for your comments. My husband and I did go into the ER today and after an ultrasound and some other tests everything seems to be fine. I guess I'm just one of those lucky ladies that gets to endure the pain of "stretching ligaments"! Thanks again for your support, because of you guys I had my husband take me to hospital to get checked out.

I did experience this...For about the first 8-12 weeks i thought something was wrong because it felt so much like period cramps. THe doctor told me that same thing (stretching of ligaments). and afer about 12 weeks it was all gone, i felt fine, and went on to have a great pregnancy and a healty baby boy! Try not to worry too much, it is very normal!

I had a lot of twinges in the begining. And everything was normal. You may want to look into ectopic pregnancy just in case.

I don't want to alarm you, but you should definitely get it checked out. This could be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy, but, it could also be other things. I wouldn't wait until your OB visit. Good Luck.

Go to your OBGYN and dont wait until week 8 as it will make you feel better.

I also experienced a lot of cramping. Mostly in my first trimester. More than likey it's just that your uterus is stretching now to accomodate the preganancy. Your uterus grows from your pubic bone and once full term will be up under your breasts. That is a lot of growth and hence the cramping. I was unsure what it was at first myself but learned that it's totally normal. Your mind will be put at ease when you see your OB. Just relax and try not too worry to much. I know how new this experience is but try to enjoy it as much as you can. It's beautiful.

I had those same pains with baby #2!!!!! I was told that those pains tend to be more painfully with each pregnacy......
(I don't know about that, I stopped at two).
As recommended, see a Doc as soon as possible-just to make sure.
Congrats and good luck!

I agree that no bleeding is a good thing but you need to go the the ER to get checked out. It is not likely that you are having stretching of ligaments pain at only 5 weeks. That wouldbe very early. When your doctor checked you out did they do a physical exam? There are other things that can cause pain in that area that are not related to being pregnant such as appendcisits. Sorry about the spelling of that. It is often over looked in women. You need to go in and get it checked out. I will also pray for you and your little one. Even if others have been there it is still impotant to get checked your self.

M.,
I am happy to hear that you got a clean bill of health after your visit to the ER. I just wanted to let you know that I too, had cramps early on. Mine came soon at 3 weeks. My OB told me they were probably just ligaments stretching, but to call back if it felt like menstrual cramps or if I bled. (It ALWAYS felt like menstrual cramps, but was not constant.) I started bleeding at 4-5 weeks. But, there was nothing wrong when I went to the ER. However, at 8 weeks I had my first OB appointment and the pap smear had "abnormal" cells for the first time in my life. That also was normal 5 weeks after the birth of my son. So if this happens to you, too, please don't stress much about it either. Just be sure to do all the follow up testing. Congratulations on your pregnancy and Best wishes in the weeks to come!

Hi M., the fact that there is no bleeding, could be a good sign, but peacfe of mind is important, because worring causes stress and that is not good for the baby, I think you should go to an urgent care or ER room just for peac of mind sweetie if nothing else. Even if other moms have experienced pain like you are having it does not neceserely mean the pain is fromthe same thing. It probably is nothing, but why not be sure. I will pray for you and your baby. J.

Hi M., Get a new OB! Find someone that can talk to you and give you the medical support you deserve.
good luck D.

1 / 3