5 Weeks Pregnancy Cramps

Hi Mamas,
I can't get into my OB until October. I am just 5 weeks pregnant and am having cramps. Much like period cramps with occassional sharp pain in my upper left torso. I am very concerned and don't remember cramps with my first pregnancy. The cramps have been going on for several days off and on. No blood is present. Has anyone experience this? Thank you.

I just went through this! My OB told me that with the second pregnancy when the uterus is expanding it becomes much more noticeable. I had the sharp pain just like you on one side and then I would have it on the other. I also had terrible back pain. It all felt like a horrible period- with no blood. He told me as long as there is no blood I shouldn't worry. It is the uterus expanding. I hope that helps!!

I had cramps with my pregnancy around week 4-6. I also had the sharp pains. It was my first pregnancy so I was concerned also. I was able to get into see my OB at week 6 and she told me it was all normal. Not every women experiences the cramps but she said it is completely normal. She told me the sharp pains where from the things beginning to stretch and change. Also normal. Hope this helps.

I also had trouble getting in to see my doc when I was in the early weeks. I called EVERY day with my symptoms and asked if there were any cancellations that day. It didn't take long to be seen. Good luck!

It could be an ectopic pregnancy - in the fallopian tube - also known as tubal pregnancy. It will most certainly terminate as there is not room for it to grow. Call your doctor and tell them you are concerned about this and the sharp pains. They will get you in.

Hey D.,

I had a similar experience during my second pregnancy and panicked, but for me, it was just egg implantation, which can cause cramping. However, since you never want to take any chances, I'd get into your OB and tell them what you are experiencing. If they won't see you, I'd get a new OB. Most doctor's offices keep a couple of appointments open each day for urgent issues, so your OB should be able to accommodate you before October. Be assertive. When I was experiencing my cramping and I went to my general practitioner, they couldn't tell me anything and couldn't do anything, so I'd go to the experts...

Good Luck, my sister.

A.

It's worth calling your doctor and insisting to be seen. It may just be normal pregnancy pains which are more likely in a second pregnancy, but it could also be a tubal or abnormal pregnancy. For peace of mind and your safety an ultrasound can make sure everything is all right.

In my first pregnancy I remember going to urgent care because of terrible cramps. However they couldn't do anything (like check for the heartbeat) because it was too early. They did a blood test and then had me come in again a few days later to make sure the hormone levels were increasing and that showed a healthy pregnancy.

I had the same thing during my second pregnancy. I also did not think anything opf it as my sisters had the same thing during their second pregnancies as well and they said it was just that I am more aware of what is happening to my body and actually feel the stretching and the insides moving around to make room for the baby growing and all. If you stress about it, it can lead to spontaneous abortion. If you are really worried and the doctor won't see you go to the ER or a clinic nearby you to put your mind at ease now. You can also call your doctors nurse line for pregnant women, they all usually have a 24 hour nurse line to call with questions like this. If the nurse thinks it is really serious, she will make an appointment and fit you in the same week.

1 / 3