5 Month Old Is Still Spitting Up

My baby will be 5 months old next week and she is still spitting up after feedings (not every feeding, but most). She doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort and she definitely hasn't had a problem gaining weight. People seem to be surprised when I tell them that she is doing this...Have any other moms out there experienced this at 5 months?? Maybe I'm just overreacting, but I'm ready for this phase to end!

Thank you to everyone who responded, I guess since she is now sitting up (pretty much without assistance), I thought those spit-up day's would be over...guess I have a few more months to go! I do know that she does not have reflux and she is not in pain...so we will just stick it out!

Thanks again!

E.

My daughter is going to be 8 months this week and she is still spitting up!!! so unfortunately there is potentially no end in site. Good Luck!

From what I recall, this seems very normal. My daughter (now 2) seemed to grow out of spitting up when she became more mobile...able to sit up and crawl on her own. Since she's not in pain and gaining well, I wouldn't worry!

i was always told that is perfectly normal for some babies to spit up frequently after feedings. i had many friends that experienced this after nursing their babes. i'm curious to see the responses you received. i know it seems a bit worriesome but as long as the child is thriving there should be no worries. take care, and good luck. C.

My "Duke of Puke" was spitting up until about 10 months! It was definitely unpleasant. He was diagnosed with acid reflux very early on and we did keep him on medication. But he was uncomfortable and cried when spitting up. If your little one doesn't seem to be in discomfort, I'd just keep doing what you are doing and keep plenty of burp clothes available!

Oh yes!! And I'm surprised that anyone (who has or has had a baby) would be surprised! Both of my kids, and all my friends kids, have continued spitting up until they are really upright most of the time, meaning 9+ months. And even then, it tapers off gradually. I wouldn't worry about a thing, your daughter sounds perfectly normal to me!

My daughter went through what sounds like the same thing. She spit up constantly, particularly after she ate. I am nursing so I stopped drinking milk (it was bothering me) and that seemed to help a bit until she started solids and then it increased again. I mean, to the point that I never would give anyone the baby without a burp cloth and I always carried one myself....and I still had laundry going constantly! But the baby was happy, it didn't bother her and she was gaining weight all along. Plenty of wet diapers too. In fact, she has been in the upper percentiles for length and weight all along......almost off the charts in height. So I was stumped. I called the doctor's office and they said as long as she was happy and gaining weight, plenty of wet diapers, etc. not to worry. One nurse said that some babies spit up more and that it is usually outgrown by 9 months. This was nice to hear as I was also worried, but meanwhile I was at my wits end! I had started feeding her more often in smaller portions, watching my diet, waiting to put her down flat for several minutes after eating, etc. I was in a class with about 8 other babies and it was MY baby who was always spitting up all the time! Anyway, she is now 8 months old and is in the last couple weeks become much stronger sitting up (prefers to do so for long periods now) and is crawling. All of the sudden with that development her spitting up stopped. Almost overnight! She still does every once in a while, but barely anything compared to what it was. More what I would expect. I hardly notice it. What I notice is that now I can walk into another room without a burp cloth and be safe! Hang in there!

My daughter is 3.5 months and still spits up a lot. The stuff I've read says it should decrease by about 6 months, so I'd say your girl is fine and just keep those bibs handy.

E.,

Both of my children would spit up when they had eaten too much. It could be anywhere from just a little bit dribbling down the chin to projectile nearly across the room. You might want to try giving less food at a feeding, then waiting ummm, maybe 5-10 minutes to let her little tummy settle some, then give her the rest.

This just popped into my head too as I was typing this. Often they would spit up if they were handled too much right after eating, or moved around too much (think Dad tossing them in the air and catching).

Hope this helps,

HI E. -

I think this is totally normal for that age. My baby is 9 months and the spitting up has decreased dramatically but occasionally we have a little mess. Now we just have tons and tons of drool each day! The spitting up really dropped off after she started sitting up and crawling. I also think some babies are more prone to spitting up than others. Not to worry, I'm sure it will decrease in the next couple months.

1 / 3