4 Year Old Failed Part of Hearing Test

I took my 4 year old daughter to the ped. when she complained of her right ear hurting, and I assumed it would be an ear infection, a week of antibiotics, and we're good. The ped. couldn't even see her ear drum due to the wax that had compacted and solidified in her ear and almost totally sealed it off. He did two soaks of this pink liquid, then flushed the ear, and finally had to remove it with a small wand.

I've been checking her ears for more buildup, and now the left one is almost sealed (it was fine at the appt.) and the right one is starting to develop heavy wax again. I did call and get an Rx from the ped. so I'll feel better about the wax once I have the solution to put in her ears.

I had him test her hearing (after the pea-sized ball of wax was removed) since her gymnastics instructor mentioned that it seems she can't hear instruction sometimes (not due to inattentiveness), and she failed in the 1000 Hz range (low range), didn't hear a sound. So, I'm taking her for a formal hearing test with a specialist to find out exactly what that means. She has no speech problems, so that is reassuring to me.

As a little history, when I was her age, my mother took me for a hearing test and I failed in the mid-range, but the doctor told her I would "grow out of it", though I believe I still have a problem, as I have to read lips to completely "hear" what people are saying.

I'm interested to know if anyone else has dealt with some range of hearing problems with their kids, and what typically results from failing a hearing test. Thanks so much!

I want to thank everyone who responded for the great information. My daughter had her hearing test yesterday, and she passed, though her right ear didn’t do as well as her left ear, and there was one part of the test that was below the rest (but not significantly enough to make her “fail”). Fortunately, there was no fluid in her ears, no holes, so physically, her ears are fine.

As far as her excessive ear wax, the doctor removed all the wax and I've been given instructions to use baby oil (2 drops/ear) once a week to keep it from building up. She'll probably deal with this indefinitely.

With the issues I described to the doctor, including what her gymnastics instructor talked to me about, the doctor thinks it’s likely that she has Auditory Processing Disorder, but that’s not something they can test her for until she’s 7, as they’re just not developed enough for the test until then. When I looked up the symptoms of APD, I told my husband "That's it, all of it. That's what she has."

My husband and I made the decision to homeschool several years ago, and if she does have APD, it just makes us more confident in our decision to do so. All of our curriculum choices have been very hands-on, rather than "wordy", which is great for her!

Thank you all so much again, it's great to know that there are moms in similar situations who can give advice, whether it's to find an ENT, research a dairy allergy, or make sure I let instructors know about the situation... it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one going through something.

C.,
My 12 yr. old son has a bilateral profound hearing loss.
I consider myself a non medical parent expert on hearing loss in kids. I've been through battery of tests with my son, and spoken with parents,ENT's pediatricians and audiologists about hearing loss at all levels.
Please email me privately if you like and I'm happy to discuss and answer questions about my thoughts and suggestions about what is next and give you referrals to great professionals in this field in this area.
Hope I can help,
L. M.

When I was younger I had many ear infections. I guess as a result when I was 9 I was found to have hearing loss in my right ear. I wanted to share the upside with you. I joke about it but it's really true - if I want a good nap (especially on Sunday afternoons when my neighbor is mowing) I sleep with my good ear down and I sleep great! So there is a positive side to everything! :)

Hi there,
My kids have a tendency to build up wax in their ears too. Years ago my ped suggested mixing 1 part peroxide & 1 part mineral oil & dropping 1-2 drops in the ear once a week. The oil makes the wax softer & the perox. dissolves the wax. It works.
On another note, my daughter (who was adopted at age 3 1/2 years) has a total hearing loss in her right ear. We don't know how or when it happened, but something must have occured before she came to us from the Phillipines. I had noticed over a period of abt. 8 months that she was "loud" & didn't "obey" like I thought she should. We took her to an ENT doctor & had her hearing tested. Sure enough, total hearing loss in right ear. However, the doctor said her left ear is fine & will compensate for the right ear. Now she is in school & I am sure to notify the teachers (& coaches) abt. her hearing loss b/c it does affect her ability to learn. You need to speak to her face-to-face (or atleast in her "good" ear). The hearing loss gives the impression she is not "listening", which, of course, is not the case. It's not the end of the world, but you do have to make adjustments.

Glad to hear that you are getting this taken care of.

I've worn HA since I was about 3 years old. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I did want to add, however, that I wouldn't advise using baby oil. I've found that using baby oil leaves a residue in the ears that is not easily removed. I use an all natural oil called Miracell and it is truly amazing. Just a drop or 2 every night before bed and that's it. It is completely absorbed by the body and doesn't leave a residue (which can further hinder hearing).

If you want more info on Miracell, you can check out their website at http://www.miracell.com

Last year my daughter (age three at the time) complained of ear pain. I took her to the doctor and there was no ear infection. He then checked the fluid level in her ear with a tympanogram. Sure enough, her ear was full of fluid even though there was no infection. She also did poorly on a hearing test. Our pediatrician took her off all dairy. Apparently, a dairy allergy can cause the adenoids to swell, and that prevents fluid from draining through the eustachian tubes. Also, I read that fluid in the ears can sometimes resolve itself. For us, what worked was when the Dr. prescribed Rhinocort nasal spray to shrink her adenoids. She had fluid on her ears for four months, and it took only two weeks on the Rhinocort to solve the problem. Our Dr. also recommends olive oil to loosen ear wax. Last but not least, you should let your pediatrician know about your hearing problem. It could be significant. Good luck!

I just read this and didn't read all the replies, but wanted to share my experience. My son started to lose his hearing in his right ear at about age 3. He had an ear infection and use to get them frequently in the past, so after antibiotics they finally suggested tubes. He got them and healed, but his hearing didn't improve. We were then sent to specialists in Chicago. After a cat scan they found (after looking twice and giving a misdiagnosis the first time) that he had a cholestatomia which had likely been growing since birth. It's is like a cyst behind his ear drum, which is difficult to diagnosis, but can be dangerous if not caught. He had surgery to remove it and put in a prostetic ear bone(stapes bone) which the cyst had damaged. He actually had this surgery again recently, as it grew back. We were told there was a 1/3 chance it would. His hearing is now not perfect, but better in his right ear. I just wanted to share, as this is something that is easily missed.

C.,
Hope I can help,
L. M.

This happened to my son over 25 years ago. The audiologist said that the nerve endings had not fully developed in his right ear. The suggestion then was to make sure that his right ear was against the wall and that he always sat in the front row. Unfortunately, even with a medical explanation, every year I would have to go in to the teachers and explain his situation. Some would believe me and some would not. You will have to become an advocate for hier hearing. She might outgrow it, my son either had done around the time he reached high school or he learned to compensate for it.
Apparently it is much more common that we might know and often the children are diagnosed as ADD because they turn around to find out what they missed and interrupt the class.

My son passed the tonal hearing tests, but when he had the headphones put on and background noise filtered into the test all he heard was garbled noises. My son had no hearing problems also. Make sure the audiologist tests for background noises. I am sure they probably will.

Good luck...it is manageable but you will need to keep on top of it if it is just immature nerve endings.

Hi, C.!

I wanted to share my experience with you as soon as I read your request. My son, who is now 11, has experienced hearing issues since he was very small. Unlike your daughter, however, my son did experience some slight speech delays in preschool--nothing that significantly impaired his communication--just simple difficulties such as understanding the words of a song, etc.

I would encourage you to stay on top of your daughter's hearing. A reputable ENT/Audiology clinic would be best for follow-up. Look for someone who specializes in children as they are more likely be in tune with a child your daughter's age.

The audiologist will perform the hearing test. For the best results, your daughter will be placed in a sound proof chamber with a window. The audiologist will be located right outside the window and will have visual and hearing contact constantly. They may let you sit inside with your daughter depending on her comfort level, but you will have to remain very quiet and avoid giving her any feedback on how she is doing on the test.

Your daughter will wear headphones, and they will likely do a variety of tests on both ears. They may say words and ask her to repeat them. It is possible that they will place a special microphone behind her ear for certain part of the test. This helps them know if any loss involves the auditory nerve. They may also perform a test that involves blowing air across the eardrum. This will determine whether there is a blockage of some sort that is causing the loss she is experiencing.

Depending on the results, they may choose to re-test after a certain period of time for comparison, or they may suggest some sort of treatment, such as tubes, in the interim.

My son is fairly unusual, and we had to stay on top of the testing for several years before we found someone to truly address his situation. Like your daughter, his loss was in the mild to moderate range, and the idea was that he would "outgrow" it over time. In one-on-one conversations, his problems were not noticeable at all--only in noisy environments, or as you noted in situations where the sports instructor may be farther away or not looking directly at my son's face.

My son has a conductive hearing loss in one ear. One physician has suggested reconstructive surgery, but we are not ready to take that step as the recovery is long, and he may actually lose additional hearing if the surgery does not go well. His auditory nerve is in perfect working order.

In kindergarten and first grades, the school provided an FM system---which is like an amplifier that sits on the child's desk. The teacher wears a wireless microphone so that no matter where she is in the room, the sound is constant for the impaired child. My son also had one-on-one therapy with a hearing specialist to learn techniques to adapt to his hearing loss. The results were amazing!

When he was in the third grade, we had him fitted with a hearing aid--which he wears during school instruction hours. Otherwise, he has done a great job of adapting to the situation and functions very well. We are careful to alert teachers, coaches, etc. to his situation so that they won't assume that he isn't paying attention to them and will provide preferred classroon seating, etc.

The experts suggest that mild hearing impairments are among the most common factors in school behavior problems and classroom performance issues. Hearing impairments can result from allergies to certain environmental issues or foods. You may want to ask the doctor about a simple blood test to determine any allergies your child may have.

You are her greatest advocate! Pay attention to her body language. Does she turn to hear? Does she have to look at people to really understand what they are saying? Does she listen to music or the TV very loudly? Does she ask you to repeat yourself often? Does she gesture when she wants something rather than using words? Communicate all of this information to your doctor.

If your daughter has multiple tests that demonstrate a loss, don't simply walk away, find someone who can help you understand what the loss means and how you can address it. Communicate closely with her teachers at school.

My son went from below average in reading, math, etc. . . to being the top student in his grade level once his problems were addressed. Along the way, several physicians poo-pooed my concerns. The audiologists were my allies and helped me to understand exactly what the losses meant so that I could advocate for my son. No matter how mild a loss is, how your particular child responds to it is what counts! Every person is different.

I know this note is rambling and LONG! My apologies. If, however, you would like any additional resources or information. . . please feel free to send me a personal note. I have learned so much about hearing and children over the past few years--how to handle it in school, issues you may face in other areas, etc. . . that I am happy to share with anyone who is interested.

Good luck with the testing. Regardless of the results, you daughter is lucky that she has a mom who is proactive on her behalf! Best wishes for great results!

I am so grateful you are such a smart Mom-. '''' She'll grow out of it''' was so colossaly unhelpful that I am shocked that a doctor would ------ahhhhhh, well--- we all wish doctors were saints and heroes - and only a few rise to that.

Is her speech AND HER LANGUGE development where it should be??? That she is speaking clearly is fabulous- is she using the complexity and '''richness''' of vocabulary that a 4 year old should be???? If not- you may consider asking your local school ( the district is required by federal law to provide any and all support that she needs to be successful academically- and the ''yardstick''' begins at birth- Most districts provide contracts with birth to 3 centers - and provide support for 3 to 5 year olds within the district. -- For example if her speech was poor at age 2 - due to hearing issues - the district would have been required to provide speech therapy at a ''birth to 3'' center --Most people don't know that - but it is true - in any public school district in America-- vision issue? - motor problem? - social, cognitive delay? the district must provide testing- and if the delay is significant- the district must provide therapy --- the only '''catch''' is that the delay must meet a federal guideline of severity- but so many parents don't know- so they never ask. You would call your local school- and say---- ( if you were concerned about her language development) -- ''' I want my daughters language development tested because--- --- where do I take her?"'''

You get a huge star--

many blessings,
J. ( retired special ed teacher - )

1 / 3